Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Car hit by a go cart. How do I fix this? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:16 PM
cjcvette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Car hit by a go cart. How do I fix this? (pics)

My car was t-boned by a go cart.

The door can be buffed out but the rocker panel has suffered some damage. Here is a pic with the door closed:

And one with the door open:

There are two types of damage. The first is the obvious crushed part right on the corner. Here is a close up:

The second part is a crack that runs up into the corner (you can also see it in the second pic posted above. Look to the right of the crushed area):

I have read up on general fiberglass repair, but would like to get the forums feedback in regards to this specific damage. What are my options? How do I fix it assuming that I can't remove the part and gain access to the back? Glued on rocker panels...

Last edited by cjcvette; 05-28-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Seeing how you also have small stress cracks in the door. I would repair them also that way you can spray the paint on the rocker and also the door and blend it out so the repair will not be detected.

The rocker repair will require some delicate grinding to make sure that you go down deep enough and out far enough to remove all distressed "fiberglass". Your rocker panel is really strong at the point of contact. And by using an epoxy resin and fiberglass matt....and delicate laminating techniques. You should be able to repair this rather quickly. Due to the sharp angles you are dealing with ...pulling apart your fiberglass matt and allowing it to be able to be bent and shaped much easier than if left in normal matt thickness....will help greatly. It may take more applications of the matt...but you will not have to fight the fiberglass matt and the job will come out batter.

"DUB"
Old 06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
cjcvette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip DUB.

After I grind away the damaged area, how to I keep the fiberglass from sagging downward? I am assuming that there is nothing directly behind the fiberglass that I am grinding away.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Depending on how wide the crack becomes when the grinding is done to remove the distressed SMC. I would apply only one layer of matt and epoxy resin and allow that that to set up. Then, when it has cured...grind it so some more matt and resin can be applied...and with this one layer being cured. It will now allow you to apply your matt and resin and work out the air bubbles and the other layers won't sag. This repair may take tow or three applications to get correct. So do not think that it will be done in a snap.... because chances are ...it won't. The worst spot is the sharp bend where the most damage occurred. That is where it is going to take time and patience in making sure the fiberglass matt does not want to peel off the panel.

"DUB"
Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I would go another way, no need to grind and put more mat. I would use epoxy resin tickened with 404 high strenght filler (West System), after the cure you are ready to sand and paint, easy fix.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by eurostyle
I would go another way, no need to grind and put more mat. I would use epoxy resin tickened with 404 high strenght filler (West System), after the cure you are ready to sand and paint, easy fix.
Yes..I agree. There is ALWAYS another way. And doing it this way is also highly possible...but I have not used the filler that is mentioned...so that is why I did not mention it. I have read about this filler but have not invested in it yet and tested to see how well it bonds and work...even though I have read good things about it. I am sill "old school" and want as much fiberglass strands in the repair for strength as possible....NOT saying that this filler would not achieve that type of strength I would be looking for. Like I mentioned..I have not given it a abuse test ..and see how well it works. I get reminded of "new technology" every day...or at least reminded of products that have worked for others in the past.

"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Car hit by a go cart. How do I fix this? (pics)

Quick Reply: Car hit by a go cart. How do I fix this? (pics)