Artic White

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:11 AM
ronniej
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Artic White

Sprayed front bumper and passenger fender arctic white for my 99 vert. Parts are bright white and make the rest of the car almost a cream color when next to them. I used gray primer. Would black primer make that much of a difference? PPG products.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

My $.02
1. The color was not mixed correctly
2. The car may have been repainted
3. The new paint may not have been sufficiently stirred prior to painting
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ronniej
Sprayed front bumper and passenger fender arctic white for my 99 vert. Parts are bright white and make the rest of the car almost a cream color when next to them. I used gray primer. Would black primer make that much of a difference? PPG products.
The odds are stacked against you so much...that if you are painting these panels and NOT BLENDING...or shooting a test panel and tinting the color to match your aged paint... ( or what-have you). The color will more than likely NOT MATCH. And it does not matter what color your undercoat was/is... because when enough paint is applied to achieve full hiding...the undercoat will not matter. All the undercoat will do is possible make it where you do not need to add extra coats to achieve full hiding. Gray was the correct choice. WHITE is one of the WORST colors to "butt-match". Most (not all) of the whites out there have some yellow, red, blue and black at some percentage to make the designed color. GM can not even get white correct...that is why there are so many VARIANTS to it. Because in all of the GM plants...that use the same white...there is no way that each and every car is exact to every other car being painted that color. Hence...the variant. You paint shop should have a variant deck that shows the options of white ( for that specific paint code). If they don't...I do not know what to say other than have them ATTEMPT to tint it....but it takes a sharp eye for color to get the color so perfect that you can re-paint it and have it not show a difference. AND do not be surprised that you may have two colors to tint for. This is because the hood will/or can fade differently than the side fender (which gets very little direct sunlight).

All I know is that if your car came into my shop...I would have either had to spend a butt-load of time tinting the color to get it as close as possible...or spend the time prepping the adjacent panels and blending out the color so you would not see a color change...under all types of light.

"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Artic White

Quick Reply: Artic White