Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Car was repainted can I cover it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Car was repainted can I cover it?

I repainted my car not sure what paint they used but can I cover it indoors when I get it back? I have not ask the body shop. Do you have to wait X months?

thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask the shop when you pick it up. Also ask for any special washing instruction while it's still "green" (not fully cured), and how long to wait before wax. Depends on what they use, and how it's dried in their booth.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by markids77
Ask the shop when you pick it up. Also ask for any special washing instruction while it's still "green" (not fully cured), and how long to wait before wax. Depends on what they use, and how it's dried in their booth.
100%,
IN MY OPINION: If I painted it for you.. I would tell you NOT to cover it and MAKE SURE that the garage that you put it in has very good air circulation...(even if you had to set up small fans)..and NOT put it in a garage that gets as hot as a greenhouse. The car needs to breathe...and eventhough many covers on the market "SAY" that they breathe...they still can reduce the air movement around your car ...which can cause problems....due to solvents trying to come out...and are inhibited by a cover or a HOT storage facility with little to NO AIR movement or exchange.

Regardless if the shop "forced dried " the paint or not...once again in my opinion...I would give it about 1 year before I would even think of covering it. And this ONE year timeline is taking into account that the car will be out in the sun and allowed to get hot and cool down. Going throught these "cycles" of hot and cool will allow the paint to cure faster...instead of keeping it in a garage for a year ...out of the sun...and expecting the same result. "Force drying" paint is not the same as how the factory can CURE paint. The temperatures required to CURE paint are a lot higher than what your car can handle now with wiring, interior and others things installed. These components would darn near melt if "we" could get it that hot so the paint could cure like the factory.

And for what it is worth...in my opinion ...once again. I state it in the information I give to my customers. That under NO CIRCUMSTANCE should wax EVER be applied to a paint job I performed. ONLY POLISH! I do not want anything that seal up the finish. And if the owner properly maintains the finish with a polish. The components of polish fortify the clearcoat and give it the protection it needs...much like lotions used when you go out in the sun. Lotions do not seal up your pours...but protect your skin from the sun. Applying a good polish gives the clearcoat a fighting chance againt the sun and environmental issues. WAX...in my opinion...seals things up. BUT..to each his/her own. And like I stated...this is MY OPINION. And this is NOT a FACTORY PAINT JOB. Which makes a difference.

"DUB"
Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and type to answer my questions. Any polish you would recommend?

john

Get notified of new replies

To Car was repainted can I cover it?

Quick Reply: Car was repainted can I cover it?