Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What to material to put on stripped '60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Ragzridez
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to material to put on stripped '60?

I am restoring a '60. The car has been soda blasted, washed down and sanded with 80. I have a fellow body guy telling me it MUST be gelcoated next. I have others saying epoxy, and still others saying slick sand. I don't want this car to come back on me, so what is the best way to go? From a work standpoint I prefer slick sand.
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

Considering the factory never used gelcoat I wonder what makes this other body guy think it MUST be used?

So it needs some primer. Some like epoxy primers, some like urethane. Both work fine.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Ragzridez
Heel & Toe

Well, I tend to agree. I would really like to shoot it with slick sand ot something like it. How are the best corvette body guys? I would love to call some one.
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Gelcoat debate will be around as lond as corvettes are. We Gelcoat all pre- SMC Corvettes for one simple reason:

There is nothing that seals fiberglass better. PERIOD.

Gelcoat also strengthens weak old glass that has had some layers taken off it by sanding.

Does anyone "NEED" to do this ?
I guess not, but when we are doing big $$$$$ restorations, where a lot is at stake, I wont use anthing else.

There are great epoxy primers, and filler primers out there. And they can be used with great results, but I still lay down that gelcoat first.

Cant go wrong with it.

http://www.2ndgenrestorations.com
Old 08-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Ragzridez
Heel & Toe

I was just getting ready to ship the Gelcoat back. I guess I need to reconsider.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I gelcoat ALL of the pre-SMC Corvettes (press-molded) that I get in. When applied correctly...to correct mil thickness. NOTHING has ever come up and caused ANY paint problems on any of the numerous Corvettes that I have painted and restored.

I know that there are people who SWEAR that other products work. BUT I know that when I use gelcoat...I have NOTHING to worry about. But what you have to realize...I have to warranty my work...and any failure in ANYTHING costs me big $$$ to re-work.

The main reason that I have heard from people who do not want to shoot gelcoat it is the hassle of making sure that you have a paint gun that can shoot the gelcoat....and the application of it is thick enough to do what it is designed to do for protection of the press-molded fiberglass. And then add in the ADDED effort and time blocking it....and then the potential re-priming needed to get the body straight. I feel that it is WORTH the hassle. Nothing is worse than having a problem occur due to not performing ONE important step....in my opinion. Other may disagree....which is fine.

There are some really good primers out on the market today...but NONE of them compare to the properties of gelcoat.....in my opinion...it is in a class all its own.

If you apply it...just do not be in a hurry. Get into the "zone" and make sure that you are applying enough...even if you have to shoot a small test panel FIRST and verify that your mill thickness is good enough AND figure in some extra due to some removal of the gelcoat will occur while blocking it.

With this seeming to be your first time doing this...any advice I can give is this...I would do a test and make sure you know what to do...instead of going into the booth and shooting the gelcoat all "*****-nilly" and have NO CLUE on what is going on or how much you are applyiing. Knowing what path to take is much better than quessing what path to take. So if testing takes place several times until you have your "game plan" in order...that is what I would advise you to do....even if you have to purchase more gelcoat...which in the BIG PICTURE of costs while restoring/painting a Corvette is quite small.

Best of luck,
"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To What to material to put on stripped '60?

Quick Reply: What to material to put on stripped '60?