Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Factory paint Vs. Body shop Paint???'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Atomic08Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory paint Vs. Body shop Paint???'s

Just curious to hear what you all think is more durable long term! Ive heard that aftermarket paint is softer and less durable....is this true?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 AM
richard maquire
Advanced

i would try and get the best colour i could from the factory from the start that i would love.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
crossed
Advanced

Just like with anything else in life there's the good and the bad... and most of the time it depends on how much you pay. If you go to Macco and buy a $500 paint job it's not going to be very quality.

As far as being soft, any paint job that's done correctly shouldn't be soft. Usually the big difference is the ability for the paint or clear coat to stand up to UV.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Fresh paint is softer than TOTALLY cured paint.

Most paints that are forced dried are harder than that of paint that is allowed to air cure over time. But there is still curinig that will take place over time.

It also depends on the paint manufacturer, how the painter applied the paint and how much they applied.

The factory has processes and technology that NO ONE outside of the factory can exactly reproduce. GM bakes the paint to temperatures that (WE) can not do. When they bake it...there is NO wiring, interior, fuel tank and other components in the booth when they bake it.

Less durable...I do not think so because I use only quality paint....and apply it so it will have an excellent color hold-out and shine for many, many years.

AS for being soft....it is what it is. The owner of the car needs to be made aware that eventhough the paint is dry enough to be put into "service" or out on the road...does not mean that you put your soda pop can on your car while you are detailing the car when it is in the sun ...and expect the paint/clear not to be effected by this action. It is basic COMMON SENSE...like I tell my customers. You protect a newborn baby from the sun and not allowing his/her head to get struck by anything while the skull bone is still getting stronger....Well...fresh paint is much the same way....just make a conscience effort to protect your investment and it will give you good looks for years to come...and if you do not...then you have no one but you to blame for any issues that occur because you are in such a hurry and have to follow that tractor trailer on the interstate and only be 5 feet away from it when it is kicking up rocks, pebbles and sand....and wonder why you have chips.

"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Factory paint Vs. Body shop Paint???'s

Quick Reply: Factory paint Vs. Body shop Paint???'s