Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Dr. Color Chip

Looking for any opinions/experience with Dr. Color Chip http://www.drcolorchip.com/ . The C5 has 10 years of road rash on the nose, and a co-worker who has used this system on his M5 recommends it. Any thoughts?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It all depends on your level of expectation. For me...I don't think I would try it because of issues with fade out in the paint and also the amount of contaminents that have been allowed to fill in the rock chips and be hard remove....even with the proper cleaners.

I find it very hard to believe that smearing paint in a chip and wiping it with a blending solution will make it so it matches the factory color perfectly. Not saying it won't work...but I find it hard to believe that it comes out like if it were properly painted. I guess it is just me...or what I am expecting...but my customers expect a high level repair...and I just don't buy this as a possible solution to a problem....but once again...it is my level of perfection that I am trying to satisify. Is it a 5 inch, 5 foot or 50 footer repair you are looking for? The photo's from the site looked good....but that is a photo and not in front of me to inspect.

If you try it and it works...please let us know. It may be a very useful option to save many people the cost in having it sprayed.

"DUB"
Old 05-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Greg F
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't work on a yellow coupe. Followed the instructions, it pulled out of the chip. I emailed them for more info, they told me not to smudge it. So I did that, a few days ago. After the paint blob dried, I used langka to smooth it up. Paint pulled out again. So I used dealer touchup and langka, touchup looks almost perfect. For me Dr Colorchip failed the test and Langka rocks.

Get notified of new replies

To Dr. Color Chip

Quick Reply: Dr. Color Chip