Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Buffing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
SHOT-GLAS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffing question

1st of all I want to thank you and the forum for helping me get to this point. this has been a long time coming. ok I'm now ready to buff out the car I'm not sure of the process and brands of products that will work best. buff, polish, wax ??
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Is the car freshly painted? if so, how long has it been since it was sprayed?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 PM
SHOT-GLAS
Intermediate

It was painted on friday. I'm currntly on a business trip for the next two weeks so I won't be able to do anything untill I get back home.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it's in paint... I can't recall what you used? Base/clear or solid color? Is there significant orange peel? What the topcoat is, and how smooth it is will determine the next steps. How happy are you with current looks/gloss/finish? Be as specific as you can be: someone (or all of us) will offer opinions.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 PM
SHOT-GLAS
Intermediate

BC/CC, I used prospay products, the clear was Amtech 600 Glamour I sprayed 3 full coats on top of a tack coat, there is hardly any orange peel, I see more in the factory paint of my Mustang. There are a couple of dry sprays in the final coat on the hood and one in the rear lid there only about 3 inches long by 2 inches wide. I also have some light dust spects looks like lint on the final coat. as for the gloss it still looks wet but I want it as deep looking as I can get it. I want to be forced to wear the sun glasses, LOL.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
SHOT-GLAS
Intermediate

I have pics in my profile area its not super close ups but its might give you an ideal on the brightness that I have got from the C/C
Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice overall job! I'd start like it was an older job needing a resurface... no sanding initially, just "conditioning" products like 3M "Finesse it", or Mother's polishes, etc... by machine but not necessarily a buffer unless you have real experience using a rotary machine. Way easy to cut deep, and regret the error. I can't recall the member's handle right now, but a member recently put out a post where he revitalised the factory red on a C4 or C5... it came out brilliant! Search that post and start there... you can always cut and buff later if you need to.

Get notified of new replies

To Buffing question

Quick Reply: Buffing question