Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

"Restoration Shop" paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 AM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Restoration shop paint is a good quality budget paint. Ive been using it for years now and sprayed 6 cars with the "factory packaged colors" , and approx 20 with OEM colors. So far I have yet to have one return for quality issues.
Ive grown to like it better then the Nason Ful-base, or Limco 1-2-3 base witch was my other value base coats. My only complaints is they can be slow on shipping at times (anywhere from 3-14 days). And their packaged colors paint chip book is horrible on line and worse in print.

I can say for sure if they "re-label" their paint or not, But I would think they don't re-label because they mix OEM colors in house, and been in business since the 70's.

IMHO the Restoration shop base coat is very similar to PPG deltron 2000 DBC. It even smells the same. But it is thinner when un-reduced. They even recommend using the PPG DX57 Deltron basecoat hardener in their basecoat. Their clear coat on the other hand is far from PPG quality. The speed clear sucks. I don't like it. But their Polyurethane clear is very good.

If show quality is what your looking for then stick with the proven brands HOK, DuPont, PPG etc.
If your looking for a OEM grade finish then TCP bc/cc is a good way to go.

BTW: I can only speak for their basecoat/clearcoat paints. Ive never used the single stage paints. (except for 1 quart of the hotrod flatz for suspension parts.)
The following users liked this post:
Geardo (06-10-2016)
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I guess we are fixing to find out how good their single stage is. I am repainting the dash on my 1954 with "Autumn Bronze" which was the factory dash color for Pennant Blue cars. Restoration Shop was the only place I could find that didn't say "Duh....what color?" when I asked for it.

Quick Reply: "Restoration Shop" paint