Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

painting with doors on or off car

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
oram
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting with doors on or off car

would like opinion on whether to paint doors off the car or on ,,,, have seen on here painting with the hood of but not the doors .... my thoughts are it would do a better job on the pillars and hinges.... any thoughts on this anyone.......regards
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by oram
would like opinion on whether to paint doors off the car or on ,,,, have seen on here painting with the hood of but not the doors .... my thoughts are it would do a better job on the pillars and hinges.... any thoughts on this anyone.......regards
Depends on what you want. The factory did them on the car.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

I have the doors off my car. After the door jams have color and the body jams are done i will hang them on the car and paint them with the rear clip. That way I can do a good job on the jams and be pretty safe about installing doors.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:58 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default color mix

As long as you mix all the paint color together so that the paint color is uniform you can dismantle the whole car. Anything that affords you to access areas to paint will make for a more complete paint job.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

depends on the color. most i paint in pieces. if not i will paint all pieces then hang them for one last tie coat . then take apart for clear .
Old 06-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by porchdog
depends on the color. most i paint in pieces. if not i will paint all pieces then hang them for one last tie coat . then take apart for clear .

For the best quality you should disassemble the whole car so you can get all the nooks and crannies. Then reassemble for the last coat of base to make sure everything is consistant, THEN re-disassemble for clear, colorsanding and polish.

If you are returning to original color (Meaning the color that is already on the car) then you can leave assembled for the most part.

Get notified of new replies

To painting with doors on or off car

Quick Reply: painting with doors on or off car