Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What is the best body filler to use

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:38 AM
C4happy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the best body filler to use

I am working on a 90 vette hood the gelcoat is spider web type crack after sanding I have a 1/8 inch hole that need to fill I was going to use this stuff called Duraglass but I was told that it wouldn't stick and to use resin is that the best to use??
Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes you want to use epoxy based fillers. US Chemicals, who make the Duraglass also meke a product called ProGlass which is SMC approved. I am working on hood mods for mey sons 90 and have found this product easy to use. I filled in the emblem holes but used some glass mat first then the filler.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:55 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just getting back into the paint/body train of thought after 30 years. Technologies have changed and to be honest, I cannot recall which 'bondo' we used back then. BUT - when we filled the cracks with fiberglass we FILLED them almost perfectly with glass and the minimal topcoat of filler that we used was just that - minimal.

In getting caught up, I contacted a local well known Corvette shop and they advised to use Clauplast. It works well, but it could be a bit less runny. I believe these are the same guys that make Z-Chrome

Last edited by kaiserbud; 11-17-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

You just need to make sure that the fiberglass resin is an epoxy resin and not the standard fiberglass resin you get in most kits. When I was putting the louvers on the 90 vette my local body supply house sold me the fiberglass and resin which I used and then after reading various posts on this forum I went back and tugged on the glass. Came off like a perfect mold. Mid 70's on up use SMC panels which has a mold release agent that does not allow the fiberglass resins and polyester based fillers to permanently bond. I learned the hard way by doing before reading and then had to redo everything.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:54 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

hmmm. - I thought SMC was put into production in 1981 ???? I know that the panels at least up to 1974 were not SMC.

I think the fiberglass popping out might be due to not preparing teh glass correctly and/or not the proper amounts of hardener.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:10 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
hmmm. - I thought SMC was put into production in 1981 ???? I know that the panels at least up to 1974 were not SMC.

I think the fiberglass popping out might be due to not preparing teh glass correctly and/or not the proper amounts of hardener.

SMC is on 74 on up. Fiberglass problem occurred on the 90 vette I was working on.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

you can use epoxy resin with glass or you can use evercoat fiber tech. both are smc compatable and will work well. i have been using the fiber tech on my project and really like it.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Dick - thanks for the info - guess this post offers support:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...mc-panels.html

Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Dick - thanks for the info - guess this post offers support:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...mc-panels.html

I agree thats the only way we learn.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

GM approved SMC and fiberglass repair. Don't know if you can get it in the U.S. though.
http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...1/Default.aspx
Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
GM approved SMC and fiberglass repair. Don't know if you can get it in the U.S. though.
http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...1/Default.aspx

Lord Fusor SMC products are tops. I used their adhesive to bond the back half of my C4 together a few years ago. When someone hit me in the 1/4 last summer the panel crumbled but stayed put where I bonded it.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

ACTUALLY, `71 rear fenders were the first SMC, Replacing an earlier form called Genite that was first used on `69 doors.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Actually, the bonded area (if done correctly) is absolutely stronger that the panel
Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 12-08-2008, 09:07 AM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some low spots in my door and on my quarter panel. do i use a bit of bondo? what do you use for small low spots?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Hey guys,
I hope Wombvette chimes in but be careful when using products listed as compatible with SMC such as ProGlass and Evercoat products. They are STILL polyester resin based products with a little additive in them that is supposed to help them bite into SMC. Also note on the directions, these products require that you grind your panel with 24 grit to help get a mechanical bond. For the amount of work that goes into body work and paint, the last thing you want is filler coming loose.

Make your repairs using ONLY epoxy resin and mat. Then either mix up some fairing compound (West Systems) using your epoxy resin for your filler, OR spray your repair area with a couple good coats of epoxy primer. Then scuff the epoxy primer with 80-120 grit and use your favorite polyester body filler like Rage, Marson Platinum etc. directly over the epoxy primer and you should be worry free.

Wayne, care to add anything else?

Scott
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any update on this? I need to repair a hole/crack in the front left corner of the floorboard on my 89.

Inside:

Outside:

And which Lord products were you refering to in that link? I'd like to do an easy repair. I know alot use the resin soaked cloth. But I wondered if the Lord stuff has anything I could just smear over the hole and crack?

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best body filler to use

Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Hey guys,
I hope Wombvette chimes in but be careful when using products listed as compatible with SMC such as ProGlass and Evercoat products. They are STILL polyester resin based products with a little additive in them that is supposed to help them bite into SMC. Also note on the directions, these products require that you grind your panel with 24 grit to help get a mechanical bond. For the amount of work that goes into body work and paint, the last thing you want is filler coming loose.

Make your repairs using ONLY epoxy resin and mat. Then either mix up some fairing compound (West Systems) using your epoxy resin for your filler, OR spray your repair area with a couple good coats of epoxy primer. Then scuff the epoxy primer with 80-120 grit and use your favorite polyester body filler like Rage, Marson Platinum etc. directly over the epoxy primer and you should be worry free.

Wayne, care to add anything else?

Scott
You covered it pretty good Scott. The SMC compatible stuff is usually fine on the surface where there is no real stress on it, but I wouldn't use it on any bonding or structural job.

Last edited by wombvette; 08-11-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:25 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

in the future i will make my own filler with epoxy resin and mat. on the last car the only ghost that showed when buffing were smalll areas of duraglass . there will never be any polyester in my shop again. it is thermal reactive and i believe it is the number one problem we are having with the c1-c2 cars because of the age of the glass. polyester is for shirts
Old 08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
You covered it pretty good Scott. The SMC compatible stuff is usually fine on the surface where there is no real stress on it, but I wouldn't use it on any bonding or structural job.
What would be good to use to repair a hole/crack in the flooboard of a C4? I did see some of that Evercoat SMC stuff in a shop down the road.

And what kind of grinder are you guys using to cut out the hole and cracks?

Quick Reply: What is the best body filler to use