Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Body Fillers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 PM
cm-smith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Fillers

Working on my '75. Plan to use PPG epoxy primer. Body has no major problems, will be going over some seams with epoxy resin and glass matt. My question is on using fillers for minor stuff like nicks made during stripping, etc.

I've got some Evercoat Vette Panel Filler. I know this is not for bonding SMC, but they say it's an 'excellent filler' for SMC panels. Any problem using this before my epoxy primer?
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=40

For slightly bigger nicks, I plan to use an evercoat product with fibers
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=13

Again, for any real cracks, it's cut and fill with mat and epoxy resin.

Does this sound like a good plan?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You would be better served to have posted this in the body and paint section.

Use your epoxy before any polyester fillers for the best results.
Your body has some SMC and even tho P sheets will tell you that polyesters are compatible, some have had problems.
Epoxy first on bare glass and then there are no problems.

You might want to read about the epoxy from SPI. People are raving about it and it is cheaper than PPG.
I've used it and it is very good.
Roger

Last edited by roger55; 05-12-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM
cm-smith
Intermediate

Default Paint forum

I posted there, but got few and slow responses....
Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I wouldn't do it, particularly if you have SMC panels. I actually bought a can of that stuff but not that long ago I tried some fiberglass repair that was 'compatible' with SMC. It looked like a really strong bond, but I tugged on it and it just pulled off - the whole thing! Just like it was hardly ever bonded. I've read similar stories on the newsgroup too. Amazing. After that experience, I didn't use the filler. If you are sure you have true Fiberglass and not SMC panels, your filler (and just about any other filler) should work fine.

You will find, however, that a lot of guys spray their 2k primer over the SMC/Fiberglass and do the bodywork over the glass body, SMC or not. You'll get a MUCH better bond, plus it protects your original fiberglass body from sandpaper and grinding. A lot of body shops do that too just because it helps prevent corrosion on metal (better than filler over metal). That is how I would proceed. It's not any more work, really.

I put the filler over the primer on my vette, lightly scuffed the areas on the primed surface prior to filling with 120 or 80 grit depending on the amount of filler needed. Worked great.

I have another recommendation. Evercoat makes a really nice filler for small imperfections and small filling: "Easy Sand Flowable Polyester Finishing & Blending Putty". It works great, particularly on horizontal surfaces. Doesn't build high, sands easy, no pinholes. Perfect for what you described on your car.

Good luck,

Mark G

Last edited by Mark G; 05-12-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

spray the car with spi epoxy first. then for the bigger nicks use duraglass. for the smaller stuff evercoat rage. after that i would spray the spi again to seal everything. this is what i am currently doing to my 75. i have been doing quite a bit of custom body work to the car and have had the car sealed with spi for a few months now and the results are very nice. make sure to clean the car very well and scuff the surface and clean again before putting on the epoxy. go to spi's web site and read. there is some very good info on there.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Roger-use the epoxy prime first and then add your fillers over that. I have found there to be an excellent bond between epoxy and fillers. The main thing is to keep fillers or any polyester based product from coming into contact with SMC. This includes any portion of the SMC including seams. Good luck-Jim
Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
mzmgb
Racer

I use u-pol SMC filler right to the panels. Excellent adhesion, very durable.

http://www.u-pol.com/countries/en/downloads/tds/smc.pdf
Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I could be wrong, but, I don't think the 75'S are made with SMC. They are made with The old type of fiberglass.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

75's definitely have SMC

Get notified of new replies

To Body Fillers

Quick Reply: Body Fillers