Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

1984 Coupe body work help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 AM
Beermaker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Coupe body work help

My baby is currently primered grey. I bought her this way from a buddy who did a ****ty job getting her ready for paint. I can do the sanding and I have a good idea about repairing the craxks, but there are a couple spots on the body panels where the fiberglass is splittingbetween the layers. My ??? is this, can I shoot some resin/ epoxy mix into these layers and clamp them for a day or so, then sand and fill the outer seems? If si, what is the correct type of glass and epoxy to use for this job, and the rest of the car?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Beermaker
My baby is currently primered grey. I bought her this way from a buddy who did a ****ty job getting her ready for paint. I can do the sanding and I have a good idea about repairing the craxks, but there are a couple spots on the body panels where the fiberglass is splittingbetween the layers. My ??? is this, can I shoot some resin/ epoxy mix into these layers and clamp them for a day or so, then sand and fill the outer seems? If si, what is the correct type of glass and epoxy to use for this job, and the rest of the car?
If I were you, I'd get all that primer off the car and start from scratch.
Use the proper products to repair the glass. Duramix, Sem, 3M, or Fuzor dual cartridge repair systems are some of the proper products. Then, I would shoot the car with epoxy primer.

Did your buddy use chemical stripper on the car? If he did, he may have ruined the panels. This splitting you are talking about doesn't sound good. You can total a car by using stripper on the newer types of SMC that started with the 84 C4.

Roger
Old 05-17-2008, 03:37 PM
AZ Z51
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

pics of the damage would help determine the best coarse of acting

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Coupe body work help

Quick Reply: 1984 Coupe body work help