Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Hot Painting Tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:54 AM
flstfi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Painting Tip

If you have moderate body work to do and you are planning on a white or light paint color. NEVER and I mean NEVER tell the body man you choice of color until the 11th hour.

Light colors require less precision and quality in prep. Tell him you are painting it BLACK. This color shows all the lumps and bumps in the job.

My brother followed this advice and when he changed colors the shop owner was pissed because of the flawless work he had to perform to prep the body. The job came out great
Old 12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully a shop would do the same amount of quality work whichever color that it is going,but yes a black car will show everything,and a white car hides nearly everything.....
Old 12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Bruce C
Instructor

Since I'm doing all the work, I guess I can't tell myself what colour I'm painting mine in the spring ( I actually haven't decided yet)
Old 12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

I get it, you want to surprise the painter. Does he get to give you a surprise, too? Sorry, I don't like it.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-09-2007, 05:39 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that black shows alot of imperfections but so does white!!! Ask me how I know...

But, I agree with Kevin the work should be perfect!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 PM
silver 76
Instructor

If you look at any color the right way the the waves or defects will show.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silver 76
bad work will show in any color ,it is just a whole lot easier to see in black
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silver 76
the only real difference for the bodyshop should be, the color of the primer. Light primer for lighter colors, and dark primer for darker colors.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

That is obsurd!!!. It certainly wouldnt work in our shop because all the cars we do have to be at a certain level,(awesome gaps and straight as an arrow with paint that looks like a mirror) so the price of the prep work will be comensurate with the starting condition of the car. PERIOD.
More over,If a "proffessional"body guy complains about the color of the car having something to do with the amount of bodywork he has to do then he isnt a bodyman. He is an idiot.

Sorry,I try to keep my self composed on this forum but that heated me up.

Stan

This is what proper proffessional paint work should look like with any color. THAT'S MY HOT PAINTING TIP!!!!

Last edited by Road-Race Vette; 12-09-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

That is some awesome work!I'd love to get out there,and check out ya alls place.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 AM
DIPPOLD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

It should be a partnership with whom ever you are working with. That is the best way. I went over to the paint shop on a weekly basis and had discussions on the work. The car came out excellent and only through this partnership did it come out the way I wanted it.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by vettesbydesign
That is some awesome work!I'd love to get out there,and check out ya alls place.
If you are ever in the Boston area look us up. You can visit any time.

Stan
Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DIPPOLD
It should be a partnership with whom ever you are working with. That is the best way. I went over to the paint shop on a weekly basis and had discussions on the work. The car came out excellent and only through this partnership did it come out the way I wanted it.

Input and involvement from our customers is welcome and advised at our shop. Weekly visits and constant progress reports are the norm here. It is the only way to ensure the customer gets exactly what he/she wants and their expectations are exeeded.

Anything less than that,well... ,then you are taking a chance with your money and your treasure.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
That is obsurd!!!. It certainly wouldnt work in our shop because all the cars we do have to be at a certain level,(awesome gaps and straight as an arrow with paint that looks like a mirror) so the price of the prep work will be comensurate with the starting condition of the car. PERIOD.
More over,If a "proffessional"body guy complains about the color of the car having something to do with the amount of bodywork he has to do then he isnt a bodyman. He is an idiot.

Stan

This is what proper proffessional paint work should look like with any color. THAT'S MY HOT PAINTING TIP!!!!
Don’t sugarcoat it Road race tell us how you really feel I agree though I would be ticked if someone done body work based on color.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

With all due respect, that is one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum yet. Being a hobbyist painter, all I can say is one doesn't skip any steps in a quality job and yes, your painter needs to know what shade of primer to shoot. I'd be PO'd if had a car in a red tinted primer, blocked for color and all of a sudden they wanted a white top coat!!

BTW, nice work Road-Race.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 PM
79inSD
Racer

Stan
Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Road-Race Vette;1563103916]That is obsurd!!!. It certainly wouldnt work in our shop because all the cars we do have to be at a certain level,(awesome gaps and straight as an arrow with paint that looks like a mirror) so the price of the prep work will be comensurate with the starting condition of the car. PERIOD.

Stan

Stan, my hot tip for you... when downgrading some one about what you think they can't perform up to your standards, use spellcheck. That burns me that grown men with all this "presented" knowledge can't spell at a 6th grade level. That's my hot tip for the day!!! I'm a high school drop out with a college degree!!! Tank

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Painting Tip

Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM
77TSi-meez
Racer

Stan

Looking good Stan

How much to paint that mirror finish on my 77c3? Straight body never any accidents, original paint/color.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

And I think you guys do really nice work too Stan. People don't understand why paint jobs are $$. That picture shows why. That is cut and buff at it's best, not taking away from all the work that has to be there for a finished product with that qualty!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Tony24
Instructor

Default Great Looking Finish

What brand, components and ratios did you use to get such a slick finish. Back in the old days we used lacquor to get a finishes looking like this.

Tony

Quick Reply: Hot Painting Tip