Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Whats The Best Paint For Frames???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:42 PM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
I have used Rust Encapsulator and Chassis Black (original). R.E. adheres well to rusted metal and is flat black when dried. Chassis Black covers well and levels out so that brush marks disappear. I may use the newer Chassis Black this time since it can be double-coated more easily than the original.

Rick B.
That's the same combo I used and with occassional daps of POR-15 as the R.E. ran out. Topped it all with Chassis Black and it seems to take abuse pretty well. I've banged it (oops) with wrenches and dropped a few metal items (damn!!) while reassembling the frame and drivetrain, etc. and it seems OK.

It's not going to be in there with powdercoating. but for paint it seems to be all right.

I assume if you're going to keep expenses down you want to do as much as possible yourself. If that's the case then paints are probably your best alternative. (Although some paints do require pro application with pro breathing gear... I think Imron might be one of those.) I'd also have some pretty good breathing gear on if you plan to spray POR-15, you don't want to get that stuff in your lungs. The good news is that it brushes on just fine and self levels, as does R. E. from Eastwood.

My .02,

kdlp
Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 PM
TerryT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't used this stuff yet, but is looks pretty impressive!
http://www.masterseriesct.com/default.php
Old 06-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Kyle69-71 BBs
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the masterseries stuff at a show in the winter,I saw the demo and was more impressed by it than por 15.
I have not put it on anything yet,and dont know anyone who has.
My friends are waiting on me to find out if is as good as they claim.
The can says it can be sprayed on ,the demo guy said it was far safer brushed on...

Quick Reply: Whats The Best Paint For Frames???