Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

slick sand vs 2K primer surfacer

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Georgia1974
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slick sand vs 2K primer surfacer

I have to make this decision within the next few weeks so wanted to get some advice/discussion. I have been reading all the posts since they started the paint body forum and have got some very good advice and ideas. I have my car stripped down to bare SMC except for the front surround which is fiberglass. My first coat will be epoxy primer. My question is what is everyones preference for surfacer ? poly primer aka slick sand or a good 2k primer example PPG K38. After blocking I will be using a coat of reduced epoxy as a sealer before BC/CC. Should I go with slicksand or 2K ?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
BondoKing
Intermediate

Jeff if the panels are in good shape I would use 2k.. From my own personal experience I have had some chipping issues with using poly primer.. It does not shrink up, so that is a huge plus, but it is not user friendly when it comes to mixing, and if you over mix with hardner it will be brittle, if you under mix it will take forever to harden up.. If you leave too much on it will be brittle too...With 2k, its much easier to mix up the product and keep it accurate, plus I dont see the chipping issues with it..

Also with a poly primer, you are supposed to remove most of it, however if you are using this as your primer surfacer then you are going to leave much of it on, there again leading to stone chips and just chipping issues down the road in my opinon..

IMO go with a quality 2k High Build and you are going to be much better off in the long run..

K38 is fine, also southern poly urethanes High Build is super thick and will do almost as good as a poly as far as build goes..
Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Georgia1974
Instructor

Thanks BK for your reply
All the SMC panels are very straight with no damage. But the fiberglass panel is a little rough. But I do have some of the vette filler by evercoat, I could smooth it out with the vette filler over the epoxy and then shoot the entire car with 2K and probably be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To slick sand vs 2K primer surfacer

Quick Reply: slick sand vs 2K primer surfacer