Originally Posted by VettePower
$99.95 at Earl Schieb's.......
remember when earl said ''i can paint any car for 29.95"
Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 AM
Coldburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by curtis74
It's all in the prep! The best paint in the world will look like crap if your bodywork in not correct. I spent just over $10,000 which included body work, parts, and paint job. I took mine to someone who specialized in Corvette's so it just depends on what you want and how much you are willing to pay for the best.

[ image was here ]

Hey what size tires and wheels you got? You have any suspension mods?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:43 AM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carl a
remember when earl said ''i can paint any car for 29.95"
If I said yes, I would be giving away my age......
Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
85 Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Mann
Still not sure about that baked on thing. The guy swears that his paint will last longer and be stronger because he bakes it on. Anyone dealt with this before or is he just ing me?

Shark Mann
I used to own a Maaco paint and body shop. Oven baking was started by Earl Sheib. It is strictly for convience of the shop. It will not make the paint "harder" or last longer. But it will allow you process the car in "1 day". Prior to ovens, cars had to sit for several days before they could be delivered. These were lacquer paints. Earl Sheib developed a new paint that could be applied in 1 coat, oven dried, and delivered the next day. A great money maker for Earl, but the paint was crap.

Modern paints are catalyzed. In my shop, the last car of the day was left in the paint booth overnight. It was always the best looking. Too much heat can cause solvent pops, and can dull the final finish. Use the proper reducer for the temperature and let it sit overnight.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Members, 85dave is correct, low temp ovens (150 to 175 degrees ) only help evaporate the solvents used during painting, however the new catalized paints including the clearcoats are way better than what was used years ago. As for the paintjob on the C-3 it is gorgeous. I only wish I could see it close up to enjoy it. I started painting in 1955 out of high school and I am sure glad I dont't have to do it any more as it is a tough way to make a living. Man, I sure wish I could rub my hand over that Met. green C-3 It would make an old car painters day. Allentown Ernie.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:42 PM
64muscl
Instructor

Default Baking Paint

Baking a Paint Job only makes the paint set up faster against letting it air dry few days. It does not make it any harder nor does it make it a better paint job. What you may find out by baking it is any pin holes or bad body work that the car may have. When pin holes in the fibre glass are present under baking the air will expand and cause a blister in the paint. I would have the body work done by someone that understands how a fibreglass car should be prepared for paint. After the repaires are done and the car is in final primer I would park the car in the sun to see if and bubbles or air blisters appear in the primer, repair those reprime and sand and paint. I work as a sales rep for a paint manufacture and have been painting for a few years. 30 +

64muscl

PS Take your car to a shop that knows Corvettes. Pay now or pay again later.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by VettePower
$99.95 at Earl Schieb's.......
Sir, would you like us to mask the windows or just roll them down ? Masking is $20 extra.....

For $99.95 we paint more of your car than anyone else
Old 03-01-2007, 01:09 AM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 675 Posts

I'm looking at a car that has the paint stripped and is ready for a new coat. I was wondering how much you guys paid for a paint job and how much I should expect to pay. I don't want a show quality job, just something that shines when I wax it and cruise. Also, there is a shop in town that bakes the paint on. Is there an advantage to a "baked on" paint job? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

-Shark Mann
If it were cheap it wouldn't be stripped and ready for a new coat, the new coat would already be on it. I hate cars in primer because it's harder to see what's going on with the body. A spray bake is designed to cure the paint in a hurry so the car can be buffed and put back together faster.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:30 AM
mfgaffney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at a car that has the paint stripped and is ready for a new coat. I was wondering how much you guys paid for a paint job and how much I should expect to pay. I don't want a show quality job, just something that shines when I wax it and cruise. Also, there is a shop in town that bakes the paint on. Is there an advantage to a "baked on" paint job? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

-Shark Mann
Do not be suprised if a mid to high end paint shop won't touch your car in its present state, without charging you like it was not already stripped. They have alot of concerns over the quality of the prep job and its influence on the quality and life of the new paint.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,043 Posts

As far as I have been told, baking a car is an expensive and commercial operation. It simply accellerates the dry time for commercial painters to have the car ready in one day. It also ages faster on the car. Think slow.

Do it yourself paint jobs will run 2000.00 for tools, materials and home modifications!

Quick Reply: Paint Jobs