Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Raising the ride height...2004 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 06:08 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Raising the ride height...2004 Z06

The previous owner slammed this baby so low that I can't even get my low profile jack under any of the lift areas under the car, including the rear end. I have lifting pucks on order, in case a future shop may not have them, and for myself when the car is finally higher and has easier underbelly access for when I do my own work.

I live in Kirkland so I made an appointment with Jeff at Cantrell in Bellevue for mid November. They are really busy but they have the drive-on ramp and alignment machine needed for the car. Plus, the consensus in this forum is that they are one of a very few really good shops in this area. I hope the weather is good that day! I have Toyo Proxes T1R summer tires and they get squirrely in the cold. I'll have to drive slow if so.

I've driven the car a couple of times but it's an ordeal getting over bumps and my driveway. I don't want to damage anything by bottoming out so I'm going to be patient and wait until after the height adjustment and alignment.

It looks like the rear has aftermarket lowering bolts with red bushings. I'm assuming the fronts have been changed out as well hence the <3 inch clearance, but since I can't see anything up front, I'm just guessing.

I know that the dealers lower the cars after delivery to a specific height, but I can't seem to find the specs in the forum searches. Would anyone know where to find those? I understand that ride height is what looks good to the eyes of the beholder, but I need a baseline to start from.

Thanks.

Last edited by Astrodokk; 10-26-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:38 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Congratulations on the C5 Z. Ask anyone that knows me I still miss my C5 Z and everytime it comes up in conversation I begin to reminisce.I even have one eye open in case I see the right car again one day.

Of all the stock C5s and C6s that I've looked at aside from being higher than slammed they are all over the place. Even on the same car each corner can be different.

The 5th post in the following link is a good place to start though. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...de-height.html

Last edited by NW94Z; 10-26-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:53 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Thanks Joe. That is indeed helpful, although my eyes crossed a little while reading the JKD (no not Jeet Kune Do) aspects of the measurements. I had to go over it again to get it.
I'm thinking now after reading that thread that the PO most likely took the front bolts out as the front spoiler almost touches the ground!
I'll confirm later. I actually bought race ramps today and will try them tomorrow. I'll take photos too.
Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:09 AM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

You should be able to get under there and crank the bolts up (down in your case) to raise up the car so you can at least enjoy it. You just need a 10mm socket or wrench.

Make a ramp out of 2X12s so you can easily get the car on them and then put the jack at the lifting location.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:10 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

I'm going to use a combination of wood and the ramps I bought to get it higher.
I read that turning the bolts clockwise will raise the car, showing more thread at the top.
The rears should be easy. We'll see if the fronts even have them, it's so slammed!
Old 10-27-2020, 02:47 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Be prepared for the bolts not wanting to turn. I would recommend a penetrating fluid or lubricant in advance. It's very common for the bolts to bind up over time due to their locations. Water and grit have easy access to the threads and stripping out the heads of the bolts is not uncommon. It will also help to apply upward pressure on the spring while the suspension is suspended to take pressure off of the bolts. A search on the forum will turn up a number of DIY walkthroughs.

On dropped cars just driving onto a 2x4 is usually enough to get a low profile jack under the jacking point.

Last edited by NW94Z; 10-27-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:31 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Found out that there are no bolts in front. I started a thread in C5 tech about replacing them.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-in-front.html
Old 11-01-2020, 09:19 PM
HeyFred
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to Peter at Trueline in Bellevue. He did my Delrin bushings, corner balance, alignment and set at stock ride height. The car is on rails for a street car. I generally do all my own work and don’t let anybody touch my car.

Last edited by HeyFred; 11-01-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:53 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'll make a note of that shop.
I ordered some VMS Racing articulating stainless steel height adjustment bolts for the front, since mine are missing, but apparently there is a maintenance procedure to keep them packed with waterproof marine grease. I'm going to return them and just use OEM bolts.
Also getting new rears since the two rear bolts are different sizes and threads.
I was able to get under the car with wood and my ramps, so I will do those myself and get the car aligned at the shop later.

Get notified of new replies

To Raising the ride height...2004 Z06

Quick Reply: Raising the ride height...2004 Z06