Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Hydro Museum Visit 6/28.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:53 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hydro Museum Visit 6/28.

Hello Last901/Phil,

I'll stop by Saturday morning by 10:00 am. Maybe a quick bite on the way to slow me down. I'll be leaving Portland around 6:45 am and headed up for a couple stops in the area.

Hydro Museum at 10:00 to 10:45 am
Flying Heritage Collection's Fly Day by Noon.
Lunch with friends in the area. (1 Corvette owner, 3 Mustang owners)
Back down to Southcenter mall for some grocery shopping
Head home to Portland by 4:00 pm.

I hope you'll be there. I was on the water rescue team for the 1996 Tri-Cities race. "hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of sheer terror". I took a few pictures of the Miss Budweiser from the turn 3 rescue sled while she did her somersaults. All blurred of course

That was a close call for Dave.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
Hello Last901/Phil,

I'll stop by Saturday morning by 10:00 am. Maybe a quick bite on the way to slow me down. I'll be leaving Portland around 6:45 am and headed up for a couple stops in the area.

Hydro Museum at 10:00 to 10:45 am
Flying Heritage Collection's Fly Day by Noon.
Lunch with friends in the area. (1 Corvette owner, 3 Mustang owners)
Back down to Southcenter mall for some grocery shopping
Head home to Portland by 4:00 pm.

I hope you'll be there. I was on the water rescue team for the 1996 Tri-Cities race. "hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of sheer terror". I took a few pictures of the Miss Budweiser from the turn 3 rescue sled while she did her somersaults. All blurred of course

That was a close call for Dave.
That's great. I should be there, though quite possibly underneath something like a trailer or a boat. Be sure to ask for me so you come in as my guest and not have to pay admission and you'll have unfettered access to some areas that you might not otherwise get to see. Like maybe underneath a trailer or a boat. Be sure to bring coveralls and work gloves if you have them

Sounds like a long day for you. See you then.

Phil
Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

That is a work of passion that I am not passionate about

I can remember cruising (boating) with my parents in the 60's along the Willamette river and watching the small outboards racing in a spot somewhere along the Willamette River between Portland and Salem. The club used to cruise to Salem once per year and each year it was the same weekend of a local race. Passing by the races was a highlight of the trip.

Other than watching the unlimited's on TV over the years from the Allison and Merlin powered boats it wasn't until 1996 that I was asked by a fellow dive club member if I wanted an adventure in volunteering with the Unlimited Hydroplane Races as a rescue diver. I never suited up in dive gear during the race as I was the boat tender for that race weekend and more experienced guys were in the other positions.

A lot of time involved in setting up the course each year. I can't imagine all the work that the boat owners go through keeping the boats in tip top shape.

What if I pay my admission and ask for you at the front counter?

Will they kick me out if I say I'm there to meet you?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:01 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That is a work of passion that I am not passionate about

What if I pay my admission and ask for you at the front counter?

Will they kick me out if I say I'm there to meet you?
By all means, if you feel compelled to pay admission, please do. We need a new gearbox for the Blue Blaster.

As far as asking for me, paid admission or not, You'll probably get at most some strange looks. Poodle Girl's been a relatively frequent visitor and his/her visits have raised a few eyebrows, but it's probably because he likes to think he knows everything about hydroplanes and at least once even tried to give me a guided tour. No big deal, but since the staff eventually discovered PG and I are former cell mates at, err close friends, they might associate you with some of the others on this forum.

I think most of the museum staff, especially the docents, have had other people from this forum come by and ask for me so they all have the keys to let you into the few areas where they actually allow me to practice my craft.

I was gone on a road trip last week and missed a lot of activity so with the Tri-Cities and Seafair events quickly approaching you might see a lot of activity and confusion going on. Actually it makes the visits more interesting if you like to see the way the boats were constructed and how overbuilt when we put them back together.

Don't forget to bring your camera and, so it seems, your checkbook.

Last edited by last901; 06-23-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:39 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

It was good meeting you this morning Phil. The museum was a very busy place. And that was before the MB Club showed up!

Lots to see and learn about. Quite a history of boat racing in the museum.

I may stop by again this summer and take some more time reading all the literature.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:49 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It was good meeting you this morning Phil. The museum was a very busy place. And that was before the MB Club showed up!

Lots to see and learn about. Quite a history of boat racing in the museum.

I may stop by again this summer and take some more time reading all the literature.
I'm glad you enjoyed the visit and apologize if I seemed at all rushed. As you know, we were trying to get the 'Blaster on her trailer. I had not expected that since we thought we were going to do it on the previous Thursday. With all the moving of boats and trailers and the visit by the M-B club, it compromised the time I had set aside to give you the grand tour. My apologies and I figure I owe you another more comprehensive tour once the place settles down.

Clearly, it's a working museum, but I didn't expect it to be so busy.

How was the Paine Field part of your visit?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:24 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Flying Heritage Collection had their IL-2 Sturmovik out flying. It's the only one in flying condition in the world. Or so I've heard. So I recorded the start up and taxi out then some passes overhead in formation with a P47 and P51.

The guy I met up with up there is a C3 owner. He didn't drive it to the event though. And he's not a forum member.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydro Museum Visit 6/28.

Quick Reply: Hydro Museum Visit 6/28.