Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Trip back form 2014 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Trip back form 2014 Caravan

Has anyone taken Rt 66 back from Bowling Green??
the 2014 Caravan is just 2 mo away. Planning to take Rt 66 home. Have never driven it. Have lots of books on it, but don't really answer my questions: (1) should we make hotel/motel reserv? (2) part of 66 is gravel?? (3) if we don't stop at many museums,etc. What is estimated time back. I see that it is >2,200 miles from Illinois to LA Calif??
thanks, any help is appreciated!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:15 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

We have done "Route 66" twice on our way home from previous Caravans. I put that in parentheses because you will be driving on very little of the old road. Most of the time you will be on I-40 which was laid over the top of the old road. There are some sections of Rt. 66 that are worth getting off I-40 to drive and see. Most of these are in Oklahoma and Arizona, but every state has some sections of Rt. 66 still in use. If you don't stop often you could probably make it home in 4-5 days, but I would HIGHLY recommend that you take a couple more days and see some of the great history and scenery available. See the Will Rogers Museum in Claremore, OK. Eat an Onion Burger at (can't remember) Diner in El Reno, OK. Stop at the Route 66 Museum in Clinton, OK. Drive to Shamrock, TX and see the wonderful architecture of the old gas station and diner. Eat a 72 oz steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo. See the Meteor Crater, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon in AZ. And without a doubt, you must take the old road from Seligman to Kingman, but remember that much of this route is on reservation land and YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPEED!!

Will you be in Eagle Crest for COHD? We can talk more then.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by duckvett
We have done "Route 66" twice on our way home from previous Caravans. I put that in parentheses because you will be driving on very little of the old road. Most of the time you will be on I-40 which was laid over the top of the old road. There are some sections of Rt. 66 that are worth getting off I-40 to drive and see. Most of these are in Oklahoma and Arizona, but every state has some sections of Rt. 66 still in use. If you don't stop often you could probably make it home in 4-5 days, but I would HIGHLY recommend that you take a couple more days and see some of the great history and scenery available. See the Will Rogers Museum in Claremore, OK. Eat an Onion Burger at (can't remember) Diner in El Reno, OK. Stop at the Route 66 Museum in Clinton, OK. Drive to Shamrock, TX and see the wonderful architecture of the old gas station and diner. Eat a 72 oz steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo. See the Meteor Crater, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon in AZ. And without a doubt, you must take the old road from Seligman to Kingman, but remember that much of this route is on reservation land and YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPEED!!

Will you be in Eagle Crest for COHD? We can talk more then.
Thanks for hints and yes! We'll be at the High Desert show!

Oh, we did do Meteor Crater and the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. We even stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Trip back form 2014 Caravan

Quick Reply: Trip back form 2014 Caravan