Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

PCH Road trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 AM
RCanada
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCH Road trip

Hi Guys,
I'm from Eastern Canada and I'm planning a cross country trip including driving from BC down to California.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1587114808

Here is a link to my trip, as you can see on the map from Portland down I plan of following the coast south. Someone posted in the other thread that I should check with you guys if this road is worth doing, he thought it was extremely slow going. What are your thoughts? I'm sure the view is worth it but am I going to be stuck before someone doing 40 the whole way?

Any reccomendations on where to stop would be appreciated too! I'm going to try to get to Pacific City for the Pelican Brewery but thats all I'm got on the list so far. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like a fun trip.

Any reason you are driving from Seattle area direct to Portland and not taking the 101 loop around the Olympic Peninsula?

I've driven from Olympia up and around the Washington Coast and the full distance of the PCH to southern California, not all on one trip though.

Stops to note along this route would be the Long Beach Peninsula. Longest stretch of sandy beach on the west coast. Huge kite festivals in the summer.

Most of the coastal towns have the usual tourist shops with taffy and fudge along with plenty of t-shirt shops and antique stores.

Astoria has the Astor Column. A monument built at 600' elevation in the hills above Astoria, Oregon that has a tremendous view of the mouth of the Columbia River and Pacific Ocean.

Just to the south is the wreck of the Peter Iredale still visible in teh sand in front of Fort Stevens State Park.

In Tillamook, Oregon you don't want to pass up the Blimp Hangar and what's left of the WWII aircraft there. They are in the process of moving them all to Madras, but still have a fair number there. Also, the Tillamook Ice Cream Factory (OK, they call it the Cheese Factory).

Just to the south is Cape Lookout. There is a 2 mile long rocky spit that sticks out into the Pacific Ocean. It's a fun hike and some great scenery for photography.

In Newport is the Oregon Coast Aquarium with clear tunnels you can walk through and see the sea life through.

Sea Lion Caves just north of Florence, Oregon. Largest Sea Cave in America.

In Florence and south about 40 miles is Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. You can take a dune buggy ride across the dunes here.

Farther south is a continued scenic drive along the coast with lighthouses to photograph.

It looks like you're all set for driving through a few of the worlds largest trees in the Redwood forest.

You are planning to stop at Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) in Monterey right? RIGHT?

Just south of there is 17 mile drive through some beautiful homes and sandy beaches.

Continuing south don't forget Hearst Castle.

That's as far as I'll take you. I've probably missed a few things but it's been a few years since my other trips.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:51 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good suggestions SMILEY!! The Pelican Pub is a good choice. right on the beach and good food. Unless you are a "city type" no reason to go to Portland(lots of traffic). Pretty from the I5 fwy, but that is about it!!
101 can be slow but the views are worth it! Tillamook Cheese Factory is worth stopping at.
HAVE FUN!!! (and the traffic in Calif is going to be a real pain!!)
Old 06-12-2014, 01:44 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

As far as slow traffic goes along the coast. I have not minded most times due to the scenery along the route anyway. It's usually a more frustrating drive to the coast, but once there it's not felt the same way.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:41 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 909 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I will just add a couple more things to the great list that SmileyOr gave you.

South of Astoria is Ft. Stevens, the only spot in the continental U.S. fired on by the Japanese navy in WWII.

Ft. Clatsop - a recreation of Lewis & Clark's winter bivouac.

Seaside - tourist trap, but beautiful beach.

Cannon Beach - Haystack Rock and more beautiful beach.

Tillamook Cheese Factory and Pelican Pub in Pacific City are "must-do".

Lincoln City - Lincoln statue twin to one in Springfield, Ill.

Depoe Bay - world's smallest working harbor.

Newport - home of Rogue Brewery. Same exit as Aquarium.

Coos Bay - to Charleston to Shore Acres. Lumber baron estate built on a cape high above the ocean, fantastic gardens & crashing surf.

Bandon - love this little town! Stroll Old Town, eat fish & chips, buy cranberry candy, drive Beach Loop to Face Rock.

Port Orford - fishing boats are still lifted in & out of the bay daily.

Lots of scenic overlooks all along the Oregon Coast, take your time and enjoy the cruise.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you're just going to take scenic I5 from BC to Oregon, I'd suggest a couple side trips/stops.

Shortly after you cross the US border you will come to Bellingham. Get off the freeway and head west and take Chuckanut Drive south until you hit the farm country, then go east back to I5.

When you get to Tacoma stop at the LeMay Car Museum. It's just off the freeway next to downtown Tacoma and well worth the visit.

Oh, and you'll need to carry a salmon for ID in Wash. state.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:37 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Oh, and you'll need to carry a salmon for ID in Wash. state.
I'm sure they can be bribed with fresh lobster tail from home
Old 06-12-2014, 07:02 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you overnight in Newport, OR consider staying at the Embarcadero. These are condo units that are rented out nightly when the owners are not using them. Very nice. I've stayed there a few times when transiting the OR coast and always had a nice time.

http://embarcaderoresort.com/

Also another favorite of mine is the Salishan Lodge in Gleneden Beach, OR.

http://www.salishan.com/

As mentioned above the Tillamook plant is an enjoyable stop if you like cheese and ice cream and the air museum is a bonus along the way.

Lastly the further south you go along the PCH the prettier it gets. WA not so much, OR, rugged and scenic and then CA has all the California Girls strutting around wearing next to nothing. What's not to love.

George
Old 06-13-2014, 09:35 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the time, as you are driving down CA. you got to take Hwy 1 South of San Francisco. That is a Corvette hwy. Nothing but twisties along a cliff overlooking the ocean for a long ways.

There is also a place to stop called Ragged Point. They have a restaurant and rooms over looking the ocean. And if you don't mind going out of your way a little, there is the Hearst Castle in that area.

Lincoln City is a nice town to stay on the Oregon coast. There is some nice ocean view motels and condos there, and the Fathom resturant is really nice and not to expensive and it overlooks the ocean. They even have rooms there, but never stayed. The Motel is called Spanish Head. The Condos we rent is either from Pacific winds or The Coho.

Whatever you do. DO NOT eat at MAXELLS in Lincoln city. You would be better off eating out of a garbage can.

Last edited by RED99; 06-13-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This trip reminds me of one I took a number of years ago down to Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway near Monterey for the Superbike Races. On the way home on my go fast bike (CBR1100 XX) I pulled off along Hwy 101 to figure out WTH I was and how to continue past San Francisco.

I was tapping away on my GPS when a CHP pulled up behind me and walked up and tapped me on the shoulder, asking if I was okay. Oh Hi, I told him I was just lost and he gave me directions. Wished me a good day and off we went. One of the few times I was contacted for not speeding. :-)

I have yet to figure an easy route through San Francisco. I've gone through China Town, gone over the Oakland Bay toll bridge and been through downtown. None are cut and dried simple.

-G
Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Have done it several times myself. Oregon is very rugged rocky coastline in places, so its slow and twisty. In a few spots you can run into logging trucks on the hwy. In CA, Hwy is magic. (Have done SoCal to Monterey good half dozen times..never gets old)
Old 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have time, drive thru "Tail of the Dragon" in Tennessee. Its famous for its twisties and bikes and cars from all over the country travel there to ride that road.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D3&FORM=IQFRBA
Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 PM
RCanada
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
Looks like a fun trip.

Any reason you are driving from Seattle area direct to Portland and not taking the 101 loop around the Olympic Peninsula?

I've driven from Olympia up and around the Washington Coast and the full distance of the PCH to southern California, not all on one trip though.

Stops to note along this route would be the Long Beach Peninsula. Longest stretch of sandy beach on the west coast. Huge kite festivals in the summer.

Most of the coastal towns have the usual tourist shops with taffy and fudge along with plenty of t-shirt shops and antique stores.

Astoria has the Astor Column. A monument built at 600' elevation in the hills above Astoria, Oregon that has a tremendous view of the mouth of the Columbia River and Pacific Ocean.

Just to the south is the wreck of the Peter Iredale still visible in teh sand in front of Fort Stevens State Park.

In Tillamook, Oregon you don't want to pass up the Blimp Hangar and what's left of the WWII aircraft there. They are in the process of moving them all to Madras, but still have a fair number there. Also, the Tillamook Ice Cream Factory (OK, they call it the Cheese Factory).

Just to the south is Cape Lookout. There is a 2 mile long rocky spit that sticks out into the Pacific Ocean. It's a fun hike and some great scenery for photography.

In Newport is the Oregon Coast Aquarium with clear tunnels you can walk through and see the sea life through.

Sea Lion Caves just north of Florence, Oregon. Largest Sea Cave in America.

In Florence and south about 40 miles is Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. You can take a dune buggy ride across the dunes here.

Farther south is a continued scenic drive along the coast with lighthouses to photograph.

It looks like you're all set for driving through a few of the worlds largest trees in the Redwood forest.

You are planning to stop at Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) in Monterey right? RIGHT?

Just south of there is 17 mile drive through some beautiful homes and sandy beaches.

Continuing south don't forget Hearst Castle.

That's as far as I'll take you. I've probably missed a few things but it's been a few years since my other trips.
Thanks for the good info! The reason we are going towards is we want to go to Mount St Helens and hike Ape Cave. Not planning on doing anything in Portland, just thought it would be where we end up after Mt St Helens.

I checked out some of the places you mentioned, definitely going to check out the cheese factory and the blimp hanger, hopefully fit some more stuff in as well.

It's clear that I need to keep following the coast past San Fran. Sounds like the view keeps getting better!

Thanks again!!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 PM
RCanada
Intermediate

Originally Posted by duckvett
I will just add a couple more things to the great list that SmileyOr gave you.

South of Astoria is Ft. Stevens, the only spot in the continental U.S. fired on by the Japanese navy in WWII.

Ft. Clatsop - a recreation of Lewis & Clark's winter bivouac.

Seaside - tourist trap, but beautiful beach.

Cannon Beach - Haystack Rock and more beautiful beach.

Tillamook Cheese Factory and Pelican Pub in Pacific City are "must-do".

Lincoln City - Lincoln statue twin to one in Springfield, Ill.

Depoe Bay - world's smallest working harbor.

Newport - home of Rogue Brewery. Same exit as Aquarium.

Coos Bay - to Charleston to Shore Acres. Lumber baron estate built on a cape high above the ocean, fantastic gardens & crashing surf.

Bandon - love this little town! Stroll Old Town, eat fish & chips, buy cranberry candy, drive Beach Loop to Face Rock.

Port Orford - fishing boats are still lifted in & out of the bay daily.

Lots of scenic overlooks all along the Oregon Coast, take your time and enjoy the cruise.

Printing this off and taking it with me!! Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 PM
RCanada
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RED99
If you have time, drive thru "Tail of the Dragon" in Tennessee. Its famous for its twisties and bikes and cars from all over the country travel there to ride that road.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D3&FORM=IQFRBA
Spending the night there, planning on hitting the dragon with the targa off at sun up when it's not busy

Get notified of new replies

To PCH Road trip

Quick Reply: PCH Road trip