Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Any suggestions for brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:45 PM
AFRob
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Any suggestions for brakes

Looks like I need new front brakes.
Each are down to about 2mm.

Does anyone have any advice on where to get it done?

Although I've seen threads for all types of high performance pads, I was planning on OEM replacements since these lasted so long.

I am not what you'd call handy and haven't ever done brakes before.

The Puyallup Chevy dealer quoted about $350 for the job--without changing rotors

The car is an '03, street driven mostly.
Been down the 1/4 mile a couple of times and out to Shelton for a few autocrosses.
Thanks for any inputs.
Rob
Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I got the slotted Rotors and Ceramic pads from these guys over 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. Low dust, cadium plated so no rust, ISO 9000 company, and they work great on my Z06.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...9-shipped.html
Old 05-31-2014, 10:34 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If the original brakes have worked well for you, there's no reason why you can't go with stock rotors and maybe even a pad upgrade. Not sure why the dealer recommended a "pad slam" (just replace the pads without turning the rotors) but IMHO, that's not only a high price but not a good way to do it.

Z06 pads will be an improvement over the base C5 pad. Hawk HPS pads will be an improvement too. I would recommend new stock-style rotors, and either of these two pads. They will work well for drag strip use and for autocross (we have an autocross event coming up on June 15th, come on down!!). I would also suggest a brake fluid flush if that has not been done before.

There should be a number of good shops that will do excellent work and do it right. Try calling here. Excellent Corvette shop.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:20 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Z06 pads will be an improvement over the base C5 pad. Hawk HPS pads will be an improvement too. I would recommend new stock-style rotors, and either of these two pads. They will work well for drag strip use and for autocross (we have an autocross event coming up on June 15th, come on down!!). I would also suggest a brake fluid flush if that has not been done before.
I agree - I put Hawk HPSs on our C5Z and upgraded the stock rotors to GM drilled/slotted ones and have been very happy with 'em. Likewise, I ran Hawks on my C6.

And as soon as my C7 needs pads, Hawks will go on it as well.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If the original brakes have worked well for you, there's no reason why you can't go with stock rotors and maybe even a pad upgrade. Not sure why the dealer recommended a "pad slam" (just replace the pads without turning the rotors) but IMHO, that's not only a high price but not a good way to do it.

There should be a number of good shops that will do excellent work and do it right. Try calling here. Excellent Corvette shop.
+1 for the Hawk HPS and for Corvettes of Auburn.

I've done my own C5 brakes twice now and it's a pretty straightforward deal - no surprises.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:25 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

The ceramic pads are excellent for street only use - very low brake dust so your wheels stay cleaner and easier to wash. If you do any track events where your rotors are getting hotter, the HPS several have mentioned work really well - I'm on my third set and very happy. Make sure you also change your brake fluid if it hasn't been done recently and do the "break-in" on the new pads.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:47 PM
AFRob
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input.
I will check with Corvettes of Auburn next week.--and I'll remember about the fluid.
Rob
Old 06-01-2014, 12:28 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
The ceramic pads are excellent for street only use - very low brake dust so your wheels stay cleaner and easier to wash. If you do any track events where your rotors are getting hotter, the HPS several have mentioned work really well - I'm on my third set and very happy. Make sure you also change your brake fluid if it hasn't been done recently and do the "break-in" on the new pads.
Yes, do the brake bedding. I think the neighbors in my neighborhood thought I was a 10 year old in a stolen car when I kept going around the block accelerating and hitting the brakes hard over and over.
LINK for bedding: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

If you dont track and just drive on the street or even just drag racing, Drilled rotors are OK. Otherwise pass on them because they will crack under a lot of heat. Slots are OK though. Ceramic brakes are good for low dust, but they have less braking and if you do HPDE with them, you will probably get severe brake fade and find yourself with no brakes. But for the street, they are good. (Better brakes = more dust=also less rotor life.)
Changing brakes and rotors are very easy. GM suggest replacing the caliper bolts. I justed clean mine and put some Blue loctite on them. Im not suggesting you do this, Im just saying this is what I did for my own car.

My first set of rotors was Zinc plated with drilled and slots. I ruined them on a HPDE track day. Cracked every rotor and the zinc got so hot it peeled on the edge of the hub. Now I have a set that is just slotted and powder coated black and then machined. And they have been cryogenic treated. I have only HPDE twice in the last 6 years, but if I go back out again, I will be ready this time.

Last edited by RED99; 06-01-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:07 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Red99 - which rotors did you go with? I've got the cross-drilled rotors and have done a bunch of HPDE and it's now time for new rotors and want to replace them with slotted.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:31 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
Red99 - which rotors did you go with? I've got the cross-drilled rotors and have done a bunch of HPDE and it's now time for new rotors and want to replace them with slotted.
They are StopTech rotors. I got them from a vendor on here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...ns-brakes.html
Old 06-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Brad's Custom Auto
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a nice option. If just for street use I would suggest a different pad than the HP-Plus.

Get notified of new replies

To Any suggestions for brakes

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for brakes