Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Mustang Pump Jockey

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Mustang Pump Jockey

Stopped for fuel at the COSTCO in E. Wenatchee last Friday and was greeted by an insult from the day glow green vest clad station fuel expert/pump jockey.

His opening line from across the station was if I owned that car I'd trade it in on a Mustang! He then strolled over to my car and began the face to face conversation with "if I was given this car I'd take it straight to the Ford dealer and trade it in". I must have forgot to peel my "I give a sh*t about your opinion of the car I'm driving" bumper sticker.

Unfortunately my tank was near empty so I was forced to sit there for like 16 gallons of his smack talk. At the time I didn't think to ask him where his oh so sexy over muscled Mustang was parked around the lot. Only to have him admit he's driving some sh*t box beat up import with over 150,000 miles on it.

Oh well, I drove off with a full tank of fun in the fuel tank and happy with my C-6. Having just got it serviced with a 4-way alignment, new brake and coolant fluids and a new set of Michelin tires installed at Spring Mtn. 2 weeks ago she's ready for a summer of fun trips.

George
Twisp, WA
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I would have told him "at least I don't have to work at Costco and can afford a decent car"

On a side note.. you actually gas up your Vette at Costco? Their gas is top-tier?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF is wrong with people? Who walks up to random customers like that?
I'd have gotten his name and filed a complaint so he has to sell his mustang with no income to pay for it.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:23 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sounds like a call to the store manager would be in order. Shouldn't make one bit of difference if the guy was talking in a decent tone or even being cordial. There is no reason to have to listen to his BS if it annoyed you.

I would have told him to go take a flying leap at a rolling donut. Then I would have complained to the manager.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
GregK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did Walmart buy out Costco?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:00 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

IMHO, that's worth an email.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes from what I've read COSTCO has done a great deal of fuel research and sells a top tier fuel controlled by the idiot I ran into last Fri. The station manager, wearing a green vest insures the proper detergents etc are added during a fuel delivery to all COSTCO fuel outlets. Or so the article indicated.

George
Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by George's_Vette
Yes from what I've read COSTCO has done a great deal of fuel research and sells a top tier fuel controlled by the idiot I ran into last Fri. The station manager, wearing a green vest insures the proper detergents etc are added during a fuel delivery to all COSTCO fuel outlets. Or so the article indicated.

George
I went with a neighbor once, when he went to the local Costco to fill up his Cobra and the little snot working the pumps wouldn't let him fuel his own car, citing (incorrectly) Oregon Law. He caved and let the little snot pump the gas - I would have walked. We're talking Oregon here of course.....

Not to thrilled about considering Costco gas - I NEVER allow others to fill my car. Either I do it or I look elsewhere. And I've only had a problem at one place in over 6 years (I pretty much use only Shell or Chevron)
Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd take the opportunity to tell him to fill his Mustang with that s**t tank he calls a mouth. Remind him that people don't want to hear his BS, threaten to tell a manager but wouldn't. Probably not the most logical thing but damn, it would feel good.

I think Evilash has the right idea though
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

I would have told him to go take a flying leap at a rolling donut.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:12 PM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

There's always one around....the world is full of them. Sounds like he was a little jealous, as well he should be.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Ah, c'mon y'all... Sure the guy is likely to be a jerk, but returning the comment with a like insult only makes you one of "them".

We happen to live in a society where cars are to many people, their identity, their hobby, their passion. Though not excusing the attendant for his rude comment, we might expect this sort of thing now and again.

If you're driving a Corvette, just ignore him. Otherwise the Mustang forum might end up with similar threads to let the world know how ignorant Corvette owners are.

I'd like to think we're above this sort of nonsense. Maybe if you're going to use Costco gas, you might consider switching to Safeway?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 PM
C5 Dawg
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Costco has pretty decent standards for their employees, so he won't be there long. Expect to see him again next time you go through the Burger King drive through.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:37 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by last901
Ah, c'mon y'all... Sure the guy is likely to be a jerk, but returning the comment with a like insult only makes you one of "them".
Yea but it feel so good to respond to these morons with a stinging retort

I don't suffer fools well. Personally I think no one should for it excuses their idiocy....I mean at the very least he should have received a "bless your heart"
Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5 Dawg
Expect to see him again next time you go through the Burger King drive through.
Oh, thanks. Burger King's Whopper value Meal (#1) is one of my guilty pleasures. Now I need to endure the slings and arrows and insults of some jerk who prefers Mustangs, can't keep a job pumping gas at Costco and thinks Corvettes are lame?

I'll just hope he doesn't see my C6 Aero Lightweight (1 of 42) before filling my order at the drive-up window. I'm doomed.

Last edited by last901; 04-14-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Yea but it feel so good to respond to these morons with a stinging retort

I don't suffer fools well. Personally I think no one should for it excuses their idiocy....I mean at the very least he should have received a "bless your heart"
Now that there is funny....
Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ken:

Why does OR require gasoline pump jockey's pump gas at stations within the state of OR? I try very hard when transiting OR to get fuel before I enter the state and when I exit in CA or ID. I don't subscribe to letting others fuel my vehicles. Stopped once in my Vette along 84 and the little blond pump jockeyette cranked down on my cars fuel cap and broke it resulting in a check engine light till I replaced the cap back home.

They don't do windows, they don't check the oil. Just fill the tank. How do OR law makers think us out of staters get along when we're not in OR?

George

Get notified of new replies

To Mustang Pump Jockey

Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 919 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

George,
I'll jump in here while we wait for Ken's reply (I think it will be somewhat similar to mine).

Because the idiots in Salem think they are "creating jobs", building the economy and we the people must be protected from injuring ourselves. Plus we have a bunch of pansy-asses who might get gas on their hands if they have to pump their own gas. The stupidest law among a multitude of stupid laws!

How about they give us the option - pump your own or we pump it, same price.

As for the snarky Costco gas jockey, I would have marched right in and demanded to speak with the store manager. No-one should have to take verbal abuse from any service employee.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by duckvett
George,
I'll jump in here while we wait for Ken's reply (I think it will be somewhat similar to mine).

Because the idiots in Salem think they are "creating jobs", building the economy and we the people must be protected from injuring ourselves. Plus we have a bunch of pansy-asses who might get gas on their hands if they have to pump their own gas. The stupidest law among a multitude of stupid laws!
Close enough to what I was thinking albeit perhaps more civil
Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by duckvett
George,

How about they give us the option - pump your own or we pump it, same price.

As for the snarky Costco gas jockey, I would have marched right in and demanded to speak with the store manager. No-one should have to take verbal abuse from any service employee.
I'm not that thin skinned I just told him to stop using those 4 letter words in my presence F-O-R-D as I was a Chevy Corvette guy. I don't dislike Mustangs and have a Ford F-550 truck that I like. But this guy is not helping the cause by approaching complete strangers and dissing on their cars when they are simply at the station to buy gas. Not get a public ridiculing of their ride by this pump jockey. IMHO I write it off to simple mind syndrome.

George

Quick Reply: Mustang Pump Jockey