Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Driving Highway 6 regularly in a C4 ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 AM
arlovarri
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Highway 6 regularly in a C4 ???

Greetings, I am new here and live in Portland. I have a job that requires commuting 3-4 times per week to Tillamook using highway 6 which is a nice drive. Later this year I will be purchasing a fun car to use primarily on this drive. During the mid 1990's I owned an 87 and really appreciated many of the features of the C4. I do all my own repairs and since I'm familiar with the C4 it's a natural choice for me. My question is this: the suspension on the C4 is considered to be hard compared to C5 and C6 cars, and Highway 6 has some really rough spots. Have you ever driven this road in a C4 ? Would I be better served on this road with a C5 or 6? Obviously the price and complexity would increase but the suspension might be a better fit considering the road surface I need to use. Last time I had a C4 I lived in Florida and the ride was fine on the pavement down there. My decision is further complicated by the fact that while I like the C4 and LOVE the C6 I'm not too fond of the C5 body style and the price jump from a nice C4 to any C6 is a bit of a stretch for me. Thanks for any opinion regarding the handling on rough pavement. If piloting a C4 over HWY 6 is going to be a chore I'd like to find out in advance.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:03 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a '95 C4 and loved it "until" I drove my husband's C5Z which he offered me when he bought his C6. First I said I would keep the C4 but the C5 is way superior!! And, I disagree on body style. I like the C4 and love the C5 style, but turned down husband's offer to give me his C6 when he bought his C7 because I didn't like it. And, it was customized and won "lots" of awards at carshows (color and mods). But, the C6s are being sold cheap right now as a lot of owners are wanting C7s!!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Welcome to the area. While I don't know the road in question I will tell you that the suspensions in the C4's got a bit more compliant as the years went on. I still drive my 95 regularly. In my view the sport seats in the late model C4's 94 - 96 are the most comfortable of any generation and I've driven 3s 4s 5s & 6s and sat in the C7.

I also have a late model C5 and the suspension and handling characteristics are greatly improved as each generation has been over the other.

If you like the C4 and can afford a nice 95 or 96 I think that you will be happy
Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was just there on Hwy 6 to TNAS this last Sunday in my C6. I have the base model no suspension mods and the car was fantastic. Very smooth drive, no jarring from the rough spots.

I came back from 101 north of Rockaway on Hwy 53 to Hwy 26. Hwy 53 was hard on the front air dam, but fun otherwise. There were too many dips in the road and in the corners to boot!

The firmer ride of the C4 (ridden in one many years ago) might be a strain on the back as a daily commuter.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 AM
msslp04
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11,'14

I enjoy taking that rode in our 89 coupe.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 AM
884fun
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the group. I have an 88 coupe and the "Base" model has the most stiff suspension of all years, before and after 88 due to 88 being the .Corvette Challange year. If you do not want a stiff ride, DON'T get an 88. I have the z51 suspension (and a back brace ). Great for the track, it doesn't lean more than a couple of inches (if that) on any corner at PNW or PIR.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving Highway 6 regularly in a C4 ???

Quick Reply: Driving Highway 6 regularly in a C4 ???