Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Front bumper gets plastidip

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts
Default Front bumper gets plastidip

With just 4 days until E@rtc, and the weather we had this afternoon, I just wasn't able to do NOTHING to the Vette. I decided to do a solid detail, AND Plastidip the lower edge of the front bumper. I've seen pics, but not many, and generally liked what I saw, so why not, stuff is reversible anyways I'm thinking about doing the surround for the DRL's and front vents, including the vertical piece that's between them...I don't know maybe I'm Sorry for the poor pics, you can see it on the 5thor the 12th

Attached Images    
Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 PM
MeHurricane
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
With just 4 days until E@rtc, and the weather we had this afternoon, I just wasn't able to do NOTHING to the Vette. I decided to do a solid detail, AND Plastidip the lower edge of the front bumper. I've seen pics, but not many, and generally liked what I saw, so why not, stuff is reversible anyways I'm thinking about doing the surround for the DRL's and front vents, including the vertical piece that's between them...I don't know maybe I'm Sorry for the poor pics, you can see it on the 5thor the 12th

Looks Good! I have been playing with Plastidip for a while now. In fact my whole car will get the treatment some time in the future. I have dipped wheels and some dip for the back of the wheel openings to protect from the sand blasting effect of sticky tires.

Hurricane
Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Thank you I think it adds a little exotic looking edge to the front end, without detracting from the lines too much. The whole car! I wouldn't be able to do it with the spray can that's for sure, my trigger finger was already sore after doing this, my license plate frame and my air dam
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Looks great
Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Okay, I give up. What is plastidip and how is it applied?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Bumble Boogie
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: River City USA, East of the Mississippi Peoples Republic of Illinois

What is this Plastidip that you guys are talking about. Is it a clear plastic spray that protects the paint from rock chips?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Its pretty cool stuff. Comes in a regular spray can (I got mine from home depot) you clean your surface, mask it off, and spray...but not like regular paint, you put all your layers on fast, and pull your tape as soon as possible. What the stuff is, is a rubber-esque, polymerized coating, that does NOT bond with the substrate molecularly, it clings just to the surface. So, if you mess up, or if you dont like it, wait for it to dry and peel it off! No negative after effects.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 AM
MeHurricane
Advanced

There is lots of info about Plastidip at Dipyourcar.com, their forum and watch their youtube channel for lots of how to videos. Great stuff. Do note that you need to get about 4 plus coats for 'peal-ablity' and durability but as fast as it dries that isn't too hard.

Erik, When I do the whole car it will be with their dip sprayer so the trigger finger isn't so stressed. They also have an adapter that makes the cans work like that also.

Hurricane
(Dip fan)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:47 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Ahhh I see what you mean on their website, that is a pretty slick sprayer! If I was to do much more I would get that for sure.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Bumble Boogie
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: River City USA, East of the Mississippi Peoples Republic of Illinois
Default Plastidip

WOW, learned something new again. Lord I love this forum. I'm off to Home Depot. Thanks a whole bunch guys!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Your welcome, its addictive once you start using it.

Get notified of new replies

To Front bumper gets plastidip

Quick Reply: Front bumper gets plastidip