Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Anyone know a BRZ in Portland?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:47 PM
5W30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know a BRZ in Portland?

Those BRZ's are looking better to me every time.

Saw another one today only this one was lowered and had a wider tire and wheel package. It also had a spoiler on the back, not sure if that's a factory option or what but as a whole the thing looked sweet. I like them from the back a lot.

Heard some talk of supercharges coming on the new models but I don't follow along. That car (2700ish lbs. Right?) in the 300 hp range would be perma grin.

I've got some friends looking for cool cars in the 25 range. I pretty much snagged vette dibs so they get what's left..

Who knows someone who will show it to us? Big thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM
apexslider
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to the guys at COBB Tuning Surgeline. Good group of guys and they may know of a few locals who would "demo" the car for you. They also do a First Thursday's open house at the shop, usually a number of BRZ's there.

If you want to see some good BRZ action, look up Crawfords R&D BRZ. They're developing a turbo kit for it. There's also a roots style blower on the market now, much like the 03-04 Cobra setup. They're a fun little car for what they are. I'm currently trying to make the jump from the Subie community to the Z06 community, but I'd love to nothing more than take my STi motor (515 awhp on C16) and dump it into one of these little go karts!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yuck, hope they run better than they look
Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

I saw one of these the other day. It may have actually been the Scion version, but still looked pretty attractive.

Funny, but I think I'm beginning to see why they appeal to the younger drivers and the Corvette not so much. What I mean to say is that I might feel a bit out-of-place in a BRZ, as if I'd borrowed my kid's car.

Likewise, a 20-soemthing driver might feel that in a Corvette they were driving their father's - dare I say, Grandfather's - car?

I think we're pretty close to another of those sorta' Golden Ages in terms of performance cars. There is something for nearly everyone who feels the need for speed (or are waiting for the Rogaine to take effect). That's great!

Isn't it a great time to be a car guy (or girl, for that matter)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 PM
EVAN&MONICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't bother the Toyobaru is damn nearly the slowest stock "sportscar" I've ever been in.
We've dyno'd a few now and we're talking less than 150 at the wheels.

The most disappointing Japanese sporty car since the RX-8

All hype and no substance. For reference I have a 2001 Honda S2000 with an intake and exhaust, and it laid down 215whp on the same dyno with 60,000 miles on the 2.2 engine.

I'd get a nice C5 for the same money as an Toyobaru and be much happier with it.

On the bright side the seating is lovely the steering is nice and telescoping and adjustable, the controls all seem pretty strait forward and the indash nav looks good.

If you want a cheapish commuter car that fanbois drool over and normal folks think looks sporty this may be the car for you. Only issues I'm aware of aside from the anemic engine already covered, poor gas mileage for a 2.0 non turbo (mid 20's on a good day on average) and fuel pumps that constantly need replaced I know of at least 1 owner who's gone through 2 in less than 15k miles!

Evan
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by EVAN&MONICA
Don't bother the Toyobaru is damn nearly the slowest stock "sportscar" I've ever been in.
We've dyno'd a few now and we're talking less than 150 at the wheels.

The most disappointing Japanese sporty car since the RX-8

All hype and no substance. For reference I have a 2001 Honda S2000 with an intake and exhaust, and it laid down 215whp on the same dyno with 60,000 miles on the 2.2 engine.

I'd get a nice C5 for the same money as an Toyobaru and be much happier with it.

On the bright side the seating is lovely the steering is nice and telescoping and adjustable, the controls all seem pretty strait forward and the indash nav looks good.

If you want a cheapish commuter car that fanbois drool over and normal folks think looks sporty this may be the car for you. Only issues I'm aware of aside from the anemic engine already covered, poor gas mileage for a 2.0 non turbo (mid 20's on a good day on average) and fuel pumps that constantly need replaced I know of at least 1 owner who's gone through 2 in less than 15k miles!

Evan
Well, that's very interesting...and informative. I didn't think the Japanese could produce anything with issues like fuel pumps. Something doesn't seem quite right here, but given the chance that they may be somewhat prone to problems they are starting to appeal to the Italian car passion in me. In this area of well-designed and built cars - especially those built by Toyota and Subaru, I find this all difficult to understand.

Are these cars simply falling into the "wrong hands"?

I suppose we should get off this thread since it's off-topic, but thank you very much for your advice and experience.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I came across one of those at a stop light one day. It took me a wile to figure out what it was. I thought it looked okay.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

They must have a club here in Portland...there were about 8 of them all lined up in the pits at the drags last Sat. I noticed none were making passes....
To each his own.

Ron
Old 08-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Spectre86
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think they are a complete joke. $26-27k for a 2.0 with 12.5:1 compression and makes 200 bhp.

HKS released the supercharger kit for it recently... for only $4700

The HKS GT Supercharger is now available for the U.S. market. This is the same supercharger kit used on the Evasive Motorsports Scion FR-S project car. Out of the box, the HKS GT Supercharger Kit produced 203 whp and 185 tq at approximately 7 psi.
I cant see why anyone would want one. It would be slow in a straight line. and if you were looking for something for a track car/road race car. A used s2000 would half that price. or a used lotus elise would be close to the same.

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
They must have a club here in Portland...there were about 8 of them all lined up in the pits at the drags last Sat. I noticed none were making passes....
To each his own.

Ron
can you blame them? almost $30k for a "sports car" that runs a 15 second 1/4 mile. Id have it parked too.

Last edited by Spectre86; 08-13-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know a BRZ in Portland?

Quick Reply: Anyone know a BRZ in Portland?