Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

The C7 Engine Revealed

Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default The C7 Engine Revealed

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...n=awdailydrive
Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using the LT1 designation as well. I guess it's just too convenient not to. The first time it was used was for the 1970 model year, and then 22 years later for the 92 model year. And the 2014 model year it'll be released in will be.... drum roll... 22 years again.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Hmmmm, I dunno, Fred. Sounds like a good thing for the most part, but after I bought my '07 only to learn the LS3 introduced for the following year was, arguably, a better powerplant, they continue to do this year after year.

IMO, Chevrolet is may be arguably angering some of their Corvette customers by introducing new (more powerful) engines all too soon. Might not be a bad thing in itself but, given the relatively poor resale of used Corvettes in the marketplace, introducing a new engine every 3 or 4 years sure doesn't help. Or could it be that there are so many Corvettes sold new that the used market is exceeding demand?

Forgive me for invoking the Porsche brand again, but of the four I've owned I have managed to sell each for nearly what I paid for them. Given the quality of the C5 and C6 series, why isn't this true of the modern Corvettes?

I think I know, but thought I'd ask the question simply to see how others felt about all this.

Or does it really matter?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
Hmmmm, I dunno, Fred. Sounds like a good thing for the most part, but after I bought my '07 only to learn the LS3 introduced for the following year was, arguably, a better powerplant, they continue to do this year after year.

IMO, Chevrolet is may be arguably angering some of their Corvette customers by introducing new (more powerful) engines all too soon. Might not be a bad thing in itself but, given the relatively poor resale of used Corvettes in the marketplace, introducing a new engine every 3 or 4 years sure doesn't help. Or could it be that there are so many Corvettes sold new that the used market is exceeding demand?

Forgive me for invoking the Porsche brand again, but of the four I've owned I have managed to sell each for nearly what I paid for them. Given the quality of the C5 and C6 series, why isn't this true of the modern Corvettes?

I think I know, but thought I'd ask the question simply to see how others felt about all this.

Or does it really matter?
Seems Corvette has always introduced bigger, better, badder engines within every production model as it ages. It's the brands MO.

As far as resale on Porsche's, try getting your money back on what you pay for one now Phil Just my findings on pricing from surfing the net, AutoTrader, Ebay, etc.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

brand image is an interesting thing. Despite being able to run (and resounding stomp most), people never equate a Corvette with the exotics.... thus the pricing.

Still, while old Ferraris do garner huge sums, the 70s and 80s Ferraris do not.... of course, even the vaunted 308GTB is slower than most new Camrys

another thought on pricing, I'm pretty certain I'd be far less interested in owning a Corvette if that first sentence wasn't true
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine is a redesign for the entire GM V8 fleet, not corvette specific. It's convenient that the timing of the release will be with the C7 release. In early dyno testing on it it's putting out 50lbs more torque than an LS3 in the lower RPMs. Which will feel like an LS7 in the bottom end, and be excellent for heavier vehicles like trucks. For a base engine it will feel like a monster in day to day driving.

I can only speculate that the tiny 200/207, 0.551/0.524, 116.5 cam is limiting the top end potential. A good aftermarket cam swap should do wonders for peak power on this thing.

Last edited by ctusser; 10-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The C7 Engine Revealed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The C7 Engine Revealed