Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Mahogany and Merlot Event at Lake Chelan

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:21 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Mahogany and Merlot Event at Lake Chelan

Just thought i'd mention an upcoming event - probably for the 5th time - at Lake Chelan in a couple of weeks. On October 6th and 7th, we'll be having our annual "Play Day' and dragging over whatever old unlimited hydroplanes we can get running. I'm confident at this point we'll see the following:

1955 Miss Thriftway
1960 Miss Burien
Oh,Boy! Oberto
1962 Miss Bardahl
1957 Miss Wahoo

Might be a couple of other old Unlimiteds if the team can get them together in time. We will not have the Blue Blaster done in time for the event. Maybe next year.

Unlike previous years, this event has grown to include some vintage limited-class boats and they are a real treat. If the water smooths out enough to get her flying, John Hucik's vintage Lauterbach blown 427 Chevy GP-class hydro might be worth the trip in itself.

In addition, the city of Chelan is getting behind this event with some participation by the local wineries to create an event being billed as "Mahogany and Merlot". Oh, that reminds me, the mahogany part is largely due to the wonderful turnout of old wooden runabouts like Chris Crafts, Gar Woods and Century.

It's a pretty informal occasion and you might find it a great weekend at the end of summer. Everything is free, save for room and meals. In fact, some of the resorts, like The Grandview and Campbell's, are allowing discounts if you mention that you're part of the Mahogany and Merlot group or even the Hydroplane Museum.

The Mt Hood Corvette group were over there a couple of years ago and I had the opportunity to make some new friends and talk a bit about the old boats. Then they all decided to go on some sort of wine tour so I guess my passionate talk was not very convincing.

So, just a thought. You will get a chance to see KMoldcar's work on the upholstery work Keith's been doing to help restore several of the old boats to their accurate configuration.

Here's a link to the Museum's website if you need more information. Hope to see a lot of you there. I have it on good authority that Poodle Girl might make and appearance.

http://thunderboats.ning.com/events/...on-lake-chelan
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the post! I'll be puting my boat back in to watch the raceing.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 AM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I know they are fighting fires over that way so plan on some closed roads along the way and usual smoky conditions. Looks like a good time on the water and might be the excuse I need to put my boat in the water. Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by K7MXE
I know they are fighting fires over that way so plan on some closed roads along the way and usual smoky conditions. Looks like a good time on the water and might be the excuse I need to put my boat in the water. Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
The event is still 2 weeks away so I'm hoping the firefighters will make progress and get the fires extinguished by then. I read today where the area, including Chelan is dangerously high in smoke and other particulates and citizens are advised to remain indoors.

I'd also like to address your comment about putting your boat in the water. Be aware that the entire end of the lake (near town,Campbell's resort and the Grandview) is for all intents and purposes closed during the event. Simply put, there is no log boom like at the Seafair races.

Now, if you are talking about a classic mahogny runabout, then by all means put her in the water, but otherwise the best vantage point is usually on the hill above the public boat launch.

Speaking of races, this is not a race. At least so far as the vintage unlimiteds are concerned. There is no longer a class for the old thunderboats and even if there was I would hate to see those classic lines marred by a closed canopy cockpit.

Still, it's a fun event just to watch and wander through the pit area and see the old boats up close. You may see a table or some lines across the road, but unless something has changed, it's simply to make sure people visiting the pit area sign a waiver and receive the appropriate wrist band. Everything, for the most part is free. Well, the museum typically brings over some of its gift shop offerings to sell in support of the place.

Oh, if you want to see some real racing, check out the R/C boats that have their annual event on the other side of the bridge as you enter town. Can't remember what the place is called, but you'll hear the noise I'm sure. Let's cal it across the street from Campbells. Check out these boats. they are big and beautifully built. Lots of old vintage boats represented.

Hope I am not disappointing you. Just want to make sure where to go to get the best view and to be safe..

Hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

Phil

Last edited by last901; 09-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mahogany and Merlot Event at Lake Chelan

Quick Reply: Mahogany and Merlot Event at Lake Chelan