Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Nod to Lee J's for service

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Nod to Lee J's for service

Just wanted to post quick note on here regarding a service call today at Lee J's for my 2008 Z. I have been having an intermittent code (P0420) for the past few months pop up and illuminate the light on my dash. It's a known emission related problem with a TSB for a quick and easy fix. I have been clearing it myself but after the 2nd time it happened I grew tired of this and decided to take it in.

Well my first experience a couple months back was not good. Took it in to get the reflash and fix the problem but I was denied the work under warranty even though I still have my 8yr/ 80k emission warranty. I had cleared the code but it's still logged in the history and I provided a hard copy of the TSB since I've found service desks unable to locate them in the past. The explanation at the time for the denial was that my warranty only covers emission related physical parts not SW. After 30 seconds of disbelief and realized they were serious and just left. BTW the TSB says that the SW fix is covered under the emission warranty.

Interestingly I did get a call a couple hours later on the same day from the dealership and the service writer or manager I forget which apologized for denying my claim and informed me that they had called and spoken to the GM zone rep and he had said that the claim can be covered under warranty.

So this past weekend the car threw the code again. I called Lee J's this yesterday and after a call back from them they agreed to see me today and fix the problem. To make a long story short they took the car in fixed it with zero issues promptly while I waited and treated me with respect as a person. I didn't get that number in a line feeling once. I kicked the tires of some cars on the lot while I waited and had a nice salesman show me some cars I was interested in and answer all my questions even though I wasn't there to buy. overall a great experience. Transparent from start to finish.

BTW if anyone is interested they have a 2011 GS vert (2LT I think) knocked down from 74k to I believe 57K. Not a bad deal for a new GS.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car is there as we speak, so I'm hoping for the same!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
My car is there as we speak, so I'm hoping for the same!
What are you in for? Tell Joe sent you and they'll take care of you.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Joe, I read your post twice and still am not sure what your intent is/was.

Do you mean to tell me that despite all your research and making copies of the bulletins relating to the issue beforehand the matter was denied at first and then corrected later because some well-meaning, but poorly informed service guy took it upon himself to research the issue?

And now you're complimenting them?

I'm sorry Joe, but I guess I just don't understand. I guess, compared to other dealer's service departments, LJ may be head and shoulders above them all, but why were they misinformed - or not adequately informed -in the first place? If you had not taken the action you did, would they have ever figured it out?

And for this they deserve a compliment? What, do you have relatives working there or something? This is BS as far as I'm concerned and I'm sorta' thinking that now what we think of as American cars have improved markedly in quality, the dealers need to catch up.

I've long felt - and stated several times on this forum - that the only negative things about Corvettes is that they are sold by Chevrolet dealers. I can say much the same thing about my experience with Ford Dealers as well, based on my experiences with my Mustang GT and my Ranger. I was quick to get rid of those two "classics" too and went back to imports.

Perhaps I'm too accustomed to the dealers I've worked with over many years of import car ownership, and not all them were perfect either, but compared to what you've just described they were far better in terms of taking care of business, and I'm including service and attention to customer satisfaction that tended to my 3 Italian cars and a like number of British "masterpieces". Heck, even my motorcycle dealers give better attention to their customers than what you describe.

BTW, why did you feel you needed to take all those bulletins etc along in the first place?

If I had gone though what you had to put up with, I'd have been on the phone or sent an Email to Chevrolet, GM, and probably the State Attorney General.

There must be something I just am not seeing here. What am I missing here?
Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

In a nutshell:

I went to Lee J's a couple months ago for a clear Emission warranty claim. They told me I wasn't covered. I left.

They called me back a couple hours later apologized and told me that after speaking with the GM zone rep I was in fact covered.

I threw the same emission trouble code this past Saturday. Went back to Lee J's again and they rolled out the red carpet.

Problem fixed.

I print a copy of the TSB whenever I take a car in for a TSB related service because my experience over the years is that most service depts. are inept and they can't seem to find they're own documentation despite having a direct link to the system.

I agree. While GM has come a long way and frankly builds some of the best most reliable cars and trucks on the road today their dealer network appears to still be trapped in 1992.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Originally Posted by NW94Z
What are you in for? Tell Joe sent you and they'll take care of you.
I primarily brought it in because my right rear TPMS flakes out every so often, and I finally had some time to bring it in. I also asked them to do the hinge recall, check my axle nuts for tightness (I've been getting a bump-induced step out in the back on cornering), reprogram my DIC to accommodate my aftermarket HUD, and to see if I had the latest transmission tune as I'm getting an RPM flare going from third to fourth gear. I also wanted afterblow turned on.

So I drop the car off at 7:30 a.m., and realize at about 10 a.m. that I had forgotten to get the lock nut key out from the cubby where I keep it in a bag with some jacking pucks (which I also forgot to put on). I call and the service advisor says he'll tell the tech right away.

So, I show up back in the afternoon a bit earlier than the pickup time and my car was in the service drive-in bay. Tom Mulhollen, my service advisor, said everything was done except the hinge recall, since there were no hinges in the Puget Sound area. He said my TPMS was replaced, and the axle nuts were tight and torqued to 151 lb/ft. The DIC was reprogrammed, and the tranny tune I have is the latest available for my car.

He was going to hold the paperwork until the hinges came in. All right, that seems a bit weird, since I was supposed to have to pay to have the DIC reprogrammed, but he hands me back my fob, walks me to the car, and off I go.

I get home, all the while thinking something doesn't feel quite right. The DIC is reprogrammed, though. The other things I can't tell as my TPMS warning disappeared prior to bringing the car in. Thinking that I hoped they didn't crack my rockers because I forgot to put in the pucks, I look and there's no damage, but it sure doesn't look like my wheels have been off. I check and the lock key is still inside the film canister that I keep it in, wrapped up in tissue like I normally keep it. It hadn't been used. I then look at the wheels, and the locks are in the exact same position I normally keep them, adjacent to the valve. I had recently put a little rubber treatment on my tires and that doesn't look disturbed either. I check the tire pressures and because I run a different pressure in each tire, 1/2 PSI different all around, I'm pretty surprised to see that right rear tire at exactly the same increment difference it should be at.

So, unless they can check axle nut torque by only removing the center cap, which doesn't look like it's been removed, or they can replace a TPMS sensor without taking a tire or wheel off, and happen to replace the air pressure to within one-half PSI of where I normally have it, I'm kind of wondering why I got no paperwork and what was really done.

So, think I'm too paranoid? I've got to say, something seems fishy.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Time to mount a camera somewhere on the car that can be remotely accessed for monitoring work that needs to be done.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis

So, think I'm too paranoid? I've got to say, something seems fishy.
No. I don't think they checked the nuts or the TPS.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Wayne,
You can check the axle nut torque without taking the wheels off, I have the correct socket and torque wrench if you want to check yours again, bought for this very purpose last year prior to tracking my '08. How's the HUD working out and what the heck is afterblow? I'm home next week for a little staycation.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:01 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Wayne,
You can check the axle nut torque without taking the wheels off, I have the correct socket and torque wrench if you want to check yours again, bought for this very purpose last year prior to tracking my '08. How's the HUD working out and what the heck is afterblow? I'm home next week for a little staycation.
The HUD works just like your car now. The DIC stays in whatever mode is set and the gear only shows on the HUD. Finally, I can have my tranny fluid temp in the DIC and the oil temp on the HUD. I guess that means I must get ready to hit Pacific or the Ridge!

Afterblow is a mode where, 45 minutes after shutting off the car, if condensation or moisture is detected on the A/C condensers, it'll turn on the interior fans for some amount of time to dry the condensers and hopefully prevent that stale moldy smell. It only operates if it determines the battery is fully charged.

Let's get together in a few weeks to check the axle nut.

Man, you know we've been exchanging emails about health issues. I just tore my right hammy tonight playing tennis. This feels like two months worth of rehab. I leave in exactly one week for a Caribbean cruise, so I guess that time will be spent baking myself brown on deck so the heat can help heal the tear. Ahhh. . .

Enjoy your staycation. You've definitely earned it!

Last edited by MisterMidlifeCrisis; 08-25-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

I more closely examined the right rear wheel and I don't think they did anything. I see nothing that shows anywhere that the bead could have been popped open to access the sensor.

What's the consensus? Go back to LJ and ask them how it was done without removing the tire?

Get notified of new replies

To Nod to Lee J's for service

Quick Reply: Nod to Lee J's for service