Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

On Track Video, my Z06 and a Mustang Boss 302S

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default On Track Video, my Z06 and a Mustang Boss 302S

Finally got the video to load on YouTube. Laps are at the new track, Ridge Motorsports Park down by Shelton. Be sure to watch in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=143pl-_eZv0

One warm up lap, a few quick laps and then I pointed by the Mustang to get video of his car. My higher HP, lower weight and one year old Hoosier R6 tires match closely with the full race car Boss 302S running on fresh R6s. I stayed out of the throttle down the long front straight.

Ford is selling a great car:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11687

I could definitely own one of these as well!

Dean
Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Sweet video! The car sounds strong too (Great job Tom!!! ).
Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun Vid! I was surprised to see that Ford is only building 50 cars. IMHO you are holding a amazing line through some very complex turns. Impressive.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Dean are you saying your particular Z06 is a close match to the 302S or a stock Z06 is a close match? Aside from the straight you seemed to have him well under control in the turns. In the one long left sweeper you appeared to close half the distance to him in a hurry. Despite being on worn tires. It looked like rear grip coming out of some of the slower turns was giving him a little trouble also.

I'd like to see some track footage of your car next with someone following you around. That is if you can find someone to keep up.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crepitus
Fun Vid! I was surprised to see that Ford is only building 50 cars. IMHO you are holding a amazing line through some very complex turns. Impressive.

There are some interesting dynamics going on in several areas of the track, especially where there is significant elevation changes. I had a Porsche 997 GT3 spin in T3 trying to keep up with me. The combination of a turn located on the crest of a steep hill is a difficult combination. The rear end will try to come around if you are not careful.

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Dean are you saying your particular Z06 is a close match to the 302S or a stock Z06 is a close match? Aside from the straight you seemed to have him well under control in the turns. In the one long left sweeper you appeared to close half the distance to him in a hurry. Despite being on worn tires. It looked like rear grip coming out of some of the slower turns was giving him a little trouble also.

I'd like to see some track footage of your car next with someone following you around. That is if you can find someone to keep up.

The Boss 302S is a fully caged race car, which adds a lot of frame stiffness. It has a race tuned suspension (stiff). I don't know the specs on the Mustang but my car probably weights a couple hundred pounds less and has more HP. With the same tires my car should go around the track faster. It would be a closer thing with a stock Z06. Too many unknown variables to really know.

I was trying to stay back about 1 second in case something happened. The super wide angle lens makes it look like a greater distance than it really is. You can see John doing a nice job of driving a controlled slide around the corners, which is necessary to run as fast as we were going. We were both sliding around a lot. I'll stick the camera on his car next time.

Dean

Get notified of new replies

To On Track Video, my Z06 and a Mustang Boss 302S

Quick Reply: On Track Video, my Z06 and a Mustang Boss 302S