Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Seattle roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Seattle roads

I had to do a bunch of running around today and the roads in Seattle really took a huge beating. I was on Dexter north of Mercer street, and on 15th Ave. south of Volunteer park among other places, and these roads are covered with 2" deep potholes and broken pavement almost continuously. I don't remember them being that bad six months ago. And so many of the other places I drove today were nearly as bad.

Is there still a budget for pothole repairs? Or are these streets already on the schedule for paving this summer and are just being left as is until then? It sure makes me think twice about driving my Corvette around - I don't think it'd survive one of those big potholes without damage. Ouch!

Otherwise,
Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Call Hizzoner Mayor McGinn. I'm sure he'll get a crew right on that. Not. You shouldn't be driving a Corvette anyway...you should be riding a bicycle, like him.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Well, I do ride a bicycle, a lot, but there's no bike outside of a full suspension mountain bike with big tires that would survive those potholes either. If McGinn really did ride a bike over those roads, and Dexter is a main north-south bike corridor, then shame on him for not doing anything.

I guess I'm just surprised how badly the roads took a beating this past winter. I live on the east side and other than Ames Lake road, I haven't come across anything that looks nearly as bad as Dexter, 15th Ave., or some of the other streets in between those two. I have to make that same trip again in a few weeks and I'm going to be snagging the missus-mobile (a CUV) for that trip.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Tim Q
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

King 5 was doing a story on the pot holes in Seattle today
Old 04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
PhyscoVette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys pot hole relief is just for us on the Eastside of the state, You guys already get enough of the road funds without taking are pothole money too.... LOL
Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Q
King 5 was doing a story on the pot holes in Seattle today
Hmmm, guess we're all getting a bit weary of the Libyan revolution and the meltdown in Japan anyway.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Just add that 4" lift kit on it. That'll get 'er done.

Seriously, the roads in and around Seattle just suck. I was appalled the see that the DOT spent $400 million plus studying the 520 bridge issues. If they'd done it ten years ago they probably could have build the stinkin' thing.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Tell Hizzoner that your mountain bike tire got caught in a pothole and that the bike lane that you want to use is impassable. That will get you all the attention you desire.

McSchwinn no longer rides a bike. His was stolen a couple of weeks ago. Actually.... his wife's bike was stolen. He gave his away.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Tim Q
Advanced

Last year at the Torch Light parade Hizzoner insisted upon riding in a GTO (68 if I remember correctly) rather than a fuel efficient Corvette. I found that interesting considering his vocal support of riding a bicycle to work to save fuel rather than a vehicle. Oh well, he's not my Mayor, thank goodness.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

It seems that I have a lot of running around to do the next few weeks (honey-do projects. . .), and lots of these places will be my first time there in a long while.

How about warnings of really bad spots. Kind of like the "spotted" thread except for spotting really bad roads?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 AM
DroptopZ
Instructor

MisterMidlife, that's an awesome idea! I've actually been compiling data on the potholes I've found for the last several months. This map represents down-town, and each one of the red dots represents a pot-hole.

Unfortunately, once I got done I realized that all the red dots made it impossible to see the street names and see where you're navigating, but...
Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

DropTopZ, you had me for a sec. I thought you were being totally serious.

I work downtown and had an errand to run, and on my way northbound on 6th Avenue just past Seneca street, there's a huge dip in the middle of the block in the middle lane that has been there literally for years. I saw it take a chunk out of a lowered Acura today. Luckily, I put the F55 into sport mode and made it through unscathed.

Darned narrow roads too!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 AM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DroptopZ
MisterMidlife, that's an awesome idea! I've actually been compiling data on the potholes I've found for the last several months. This map represents down-town, and each one of the red dots represents a pot-hole.

Unfortunately, once I got done I realized that all the red dots made it impossible to see the street names and see where you're navigating, but...
outstanding!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

So, 1200 miles on my two-month old Corvette, and today marked the second time that, while on the freeway, I've taken a rock in the windshield so hard it sounded like a gunshot. I've never had any other windshield survive a hit like that without significant damage, but both times I only got a little surface ding and no cracks. Are Vette windshields extra thick? I just know my luck's going to run out really soon now.

Drove southbound on Rainier Ave leaving the Rainier Beach area towards Renton, and the roads there are as bad as on Dexter. Nonstop potholes until just before the airport. Ugh.

Get notified of new replies

To Seattle roads

Quick Reply: Seattle roads