Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Missing your LEO's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
HOMERLIKEBEER
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Missing your LEO's?

If you have noticed a fewer than normal LEO presence in you area it is because they are all here in Wenatchee, Wa for Apple Blossom Festival.

Now I have grown up here and seen every year what has taken place during this festival time. At 44 years old I can remember some of the "crazy days". However, in the last 10 years or so "cruising the ave" as it has been known as has been deemed illegal. I had to pick up some teenage girls from the movies lastnight around 11pm and could not believe my eyes. Atleast 3-5 LEO's in cruisers, and motorcyles on EVERY
block lights a flashing with cars pulled over. Now before anybody says they must have been deserving of it, please save your comments. We all know it is about the money. There are literally hundreds of LEO's here and for what? The motels, bars, and restaurants have been seeing steep declines year after year.

This once beautiful, fun weekend has seen it's better days. I used to love bringing out the '65 convertible and just cruise up and down the street and see other rides doing the same. It was part of what made up the weekend fun. No more though, Johnny Law has made it illegal to just drive down the steet. Sad.

Sorry to rant, just hate to see my local town over run the way it has.
Of course all in the name of money.... I mean...."safety".
Old 05-02-2009, 05:28 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lots of cities have "anti-cruising" ordinances now. I don't think it has so much to do with annual events like Apple Blossom or any other event that a city may hold, but part of the problem is how people act.

Too many "compact sport" people doing stuff that is completely out of place, audio systems you can hear 6 blocks away, and in general all kinds of bad/rude behavior. Many store owners that want to stay open in the evening lose parking to cruisers and customers simply don't want to put up with the activity.

IMHO, the difference is that there are significant changes in behavior and attitudes of the young people cruising today. Back 30-40 years ago the attitude was different, it was easier for LEO to control people by simply asking kids to take it easy. That doesn't seem to work today.

That's all really too bad. Cruising used to be fun. Now there are laws that define cruising as the same car going past the same point X number of times in a given period. I have heard stories of people who were not cruisers getting a ticket for cruising simply because they were going around a block looking for a parking place.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 AM
HOMERLIKEBEER
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Lots of cities have "anti-cruising" ordinances now. I don't think it has so much to do with annual events like Apple Blossom or any other event that a city may hold, but part of the problem is how people act.

Too many "compact sport" people doing stuff that is completely out of place, audio systems you can hear 6 blocks away, and in general all kinds of bad/rude behavior. Many store owners that want to stay open in the evening lose parking to cruisers and customers simply don't want to put up with the activity.

IMHO, the difference is that there are significant changes in behavior and attitudes of the young people cruising today. Back 30-40 years ago the attitude was different, it was easier for LEO to control people by simply asking kids to take it easy. That doesn't seem to work today.

That's all really too bad. Cruising used to be fun. Now there are laws that define cruising as the same car going past the same point X number of times in a given period. I have heard stories of people who were not cruisers getting a ticket for cruising simply because they were going around a block looking for a parking place.
100%
Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
ValiantSailor
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOMERLIKEBEER
If you have noticed a fewer than normal LEO presence in you area it is because they are all here in Wenatchee, Wa for Apple Blossom Festival.

Now I have grown up here and seen every year what has taken place during this festival time. At 44 years old I can remember some of the "crazy days". However, in the last 10 years or so "cruising the ave" as it has been known as has been deemed illegal. I had to pick up some teenage girls from the movies lastnight around 11pm and could not believe my eyes. Atleast 3-5 LEO's in cruisers, and motorcyles on EVERY
block lights a flashing with cars pulled over. Now before anybody says they must have been deserving of it, please save your comments. We all know it is about the money. There are literally hundreds of LEO's here and for what? The motels, bars, and restaurants have been seeing steep declines year after year.

This once beautiful, fun weekend has seen it's better days. I used to love bringing out the '65 convertible and just cruise up and down the street and see other rides doing the same. It was part of what made up the weekend fun. No more though, Johnny Law has made it illegal to just drive down the steet. Sad.

LEO's are LEO's. They are also fat with cash and legal dogma left over from you know who. We are after all in need of supervision.

Times have changed, there are more and more lawless gangbangers packing iron and using drugs so the cops find it easy pickings. Have you ever driven to concert at the Gorge? LEO's and cops everywhere and you know? Im happy they are there. It only takes one lunatic packing to do alot of damage.

Behave, and there isnt much they can do to ya.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Heywood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more though, Johnny Law has made it illegal to just drive down the steet. Sad.
Actually LEO's don't make the laws, government does.

That being said I do understand what you are saying, but I think this is more of a frustration with society and the problems society brings now a days than a problem with LEO's.

Locally we have 2 sanctioned cruise nights, one for low riders and one for Vintiques. You will never catch me, my cars, or any of my family at the low rider night, but I often frequent the Vintiques.

One of the dumbest things I heard someone say is that if there were no police out on low rider night, there would be no problems on "the Ave". Seriously, bangers fight and stab each other with LEO there.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
young grasshopper
Pro

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Too many "compact sport"

Always got to alcocate the blame to the one's driving imports... Younger people with domestics are the exact same way. Rust buckets with glass packs are in no way better than a turbo charged 4 banger with a straight through exhaust.

people doing stuff that is completely out of place, audio systems you can hear 6 blocks away

Thats mostly from people who drive SUV's with the back filled with subwoofers, any of them are domestic vehicles too.

and in general all kinds of bad/rude behavior.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Sidewinderx7
Racer

lol, you guys are hilarious.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

About 20 years ago, there was a HUGE push nationally to ban "cruising" in all cities and towns. The claim was to reduce "crime."

I cruised as a teenager in the 1980s, I did NOT cause problems. It was a great social outlet and a great way to show off one's car and admire your peer's cars ...AND "girl watch!" ...Sure, there were a handfull of hoodlums causing problems... but... there are always a small percentage of bad apples in any group or social function. Cruising, per say, was a harmless activity and IMHO, it was a complete over-reaction to outlaw it!

I think it's SAD that cruising cannot be part of Wenatchee's Apple Blossom Festival. I am not against an LEO presence, it's a deterant to the few bad-apples ...and would actually help ensure cruising be a positive and enjoyable past-time, that it once was!

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 05-11-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Missing your LEO's?

Quick Reply: Missing your LEO's?