Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Louder Exhaust in WA State...Asking for Trouble??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:44 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Louder Exhaust in WA State...Asking for Trouble??

I'm in Washington State and am about to pull the trigger on a more aggressive exhaust system. Can anyone tell me if I'm likely to be hassled? As I understand there is a statute stating that exhausts cannot be louder than stock. Is it enforced?

Last edited by C-INRED; 07-23-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:08 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

If there is such a thing, it's not enforced.

I've never heard of any Vette driver that's been stopped because of the exhaust being too loud. Might be a thing where if you're driving responsibly in the presence of LEO's they won't hassle you about the noise.

I'm sure other's will chime in if they've been stopped for that reason...
Old 07-23-2006, 09:51 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Cities will (and do) set noise levels by passing ordinances that either have specific noise levels in dB or wording that allows an LEO to make a decision on whether or not to write a ticket basd on what he hears when the car is being driven in such a fashion to emit loud exhaust noise.

Many cities now have ordinances against the use of engine brakes (Jacob Engine Brake or "Jake's) on heavy trucks inside city limits. These brakes used to be fairly loud but not much more than some of today's exhaust systems.

Loud exhaust may also let an LEO write a ticket for "Exhibition of Speed"; the concept is that to get the exhaust loud enough to be noticed, you have to be driving the car hard like full throttle in low gear.

IIRC, there may be a couple states back on the east coast where laws do not permit aftermarket exhaust if the sound is louder than stock. The laws are either in place or being considered in their legislatures.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:57 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Sounds like I'm probably okay. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Ackattack1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you heard all the ricers with their redicoulous exhaust? As long as you don't run open headers I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:45 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about some of the Harley riders? If you compare to those you just might get away with open headers.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Chief777
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

[knocking on wood] I have the Stingers and havent had any problems. I'd say go for it.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:13 PM
vetred
Drifting

Dude,.............Im like, Waaaaaay loud And when I first went with all the toys I realy worried about it. But that was two years ago and no worries!
Old 07-25-2006, 05:06 PM
pro1955
Pro

Can't imagine it could be any louder than my Harley, I've sat right next to LEO's they never say anything. I think your good to go, if it's not to loud for you in the car, it would be ok outside. But if you get pulled over for it just tell them I said it was OK......
Old 08-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Herringchoker
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Man been singin' the Blues, since he began to till the ground"...Vancouver, USA WA.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I remember right, anything other than stock is illegal in WA. I guess it's up to the LEO to write or not. Just lift your right foot when ya pass 'um.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 AM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Well... i'm in Lacey/Oly and have yet to get pulled over for this (or anything really...) but i have the Dynatech Supermax LT Headers, Hi-Flow cats and X-Pipe, followed by a B&B Bullet exhaust. Thats pretty much considered loud by CF standards... lol

Idles at 101 dB, and revs to 130+ dB (The Tool maxed out at 130...)

FYI: 130 is the "Pain Threshold" - so thats the point at which it hurts your ears... lol

Get that exhaust - and Love the hell out of it!!!

Dan
Old 08-26-2006, 01:21 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Do you still have cats? You won't be loud. I can't imagine any C5 or C6, even with an aftermarket exhaust, with anything but a refined but agressive sound.

Now loud is a carburated big block engine with headers, loopy cam, no pollution controls, and side pipes or dual flowmaster 40's that scare old people and young children as you drive by. Even with my small block I set off car alarms in parking lots and shake the house as I start the car in the morning. I don't play the radio because I can't hear it. Your cars are just too refined/high tech to get that dirty/scary loud sound, and you probably don't want it anyways. It's not for everyone.

I'm reading this with some amusement since I will probably be moving from Miss to Seattle in the near future. Here anything goes.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:43 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Actually I believe Washington revised their code to more reflect the california rules, which essentially states it cannot be over 92 decibels. This was instated about 5 years ago now. Though at the same time I believe they still have in effect that the system cannot be any louder than what came from the factory. I was with a friend who was pulled over once (in a truck) for his exhaust being too loud, and he complained to the cop how there are so many other cars and bikes out there that are louder, he said that those bikes come from the factory that loud.

I think the real truth is, if it sounds good then you won't have a problem. my friends truck was annoying. most Honda's are annoying, I swear they are megaphones instead of mufflers. A good freeflowing straight through muffler on a real motor simply excentuates the good sounds, and there can be no complaints with that.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for all the feedback.

I ordered Corsa Sports for my 2006 C6 with 6-speed paddle-shift automatic today (Corsa #14167). After an 'exhaustive' ( ) search I came to the conclusion that this is the only aftermarket system I could buy for the A6 without risking drone at highway cruising speeds. This is important to me because I do as much cruising as possible!

Hopefully it will be arriving early next week and I'll have it on by mid-week.

Last edited by C-INRED; 09-07-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:02 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

WA state has a decibel limit and some localities have set limits also. I lived here all my life and never knew about it till Corsa told me the sports would be over that limit. Around here the cops use that law to pull over kids in ricers with the fart cans. They dont really care about the sound, its just an excuse to pull em over and see what they can see, i.e. drinking etc. I dont know of anyone in a nicer car like a vette that has been pulled over for loud exhausts. I have had the sports on my 05 since they became available and never had a problem. This isnt suprising because they are really pretty mellow. You probably wont even manage to **** off the old lady, let alone get pulled over.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:24 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by crabman
WA state has a decibel limit and some localities have set limits also. I lived here all my life and never knew about it till Corsa told me the sports would be over that limit. Around here the cops use that law to pull over kids in ricers with the fart cans. They dont really care about the sound, its just an excuse to pull em over and see what they can see, i.e. drinking etc. I dont know of anyone in a nicer car like a vette that has been pulled over for loud exhausts. I have had the sports on my 05 since they became available and never had a problem. This isnt suprising because they are really pretty mellow. You probably wont even manage to **** off the old lady, let alone get pulled over.
Actually my wife is anxious to have something louder on the car.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Tranzor
Instructor

I wouldn't worry about it too much... my '01 Z28 had an extremely loud exhaust, pretty much straight through with longtube headers a single bullet muffler and a really lumpy cam. Never even got a second look from the cops... as long as you're not doing anything dumb, they'll leave you alone.

Get notified of new replies

To Louder Exhaust in WA State...Asking for Trouble??

Old 09-11-2006, 02:29 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Tranzor
I wouldn't worry... as long as you're not doing anything dumb, they'll leave you alone.
Well in that case I suppose I could be in trouble!

Last edited by C-INRED; 09-11-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Zoso1951
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05-'07-'08-'09

Default Like to hear yours some time

Originally Posted by LF97C5Vette
Well... i'm in Lacey/Oly and have yet to get pulled over for this (or anything really...) but i have the Dynatech Supermax LT Headers, Hi-Flow cats and X-Pipe, followed by a B&B Bullet exhaust. Thats pretty much considered loud by CF standards... lol

Idles at 101 dB, and revs to 130+ dB (The Tool maxed out at 130...)

FYI: 130 is the "Pain Threshold" - so thats the point at which it hurts your ears... lol

Get that exhaust - and Love the hell out of it!!!

Dan
can't buy any mods until next year, (hopefully), when I'm thru paying off some recent divorce debt, but was thinking of BB's PRT's to start out with. I work in Oly Mon-Fri and curious about BB's sound. Not sure about the Bullets as I may want to get long tubes, cam & heads later down the road. Let me know if you'd be willing to meet for a quick listen.
Thanks,
Robert
Old 10-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Scatman
Instructor

The way I here it is anything other than stock is a no-no in Wa. state. Co-worker got pulled over in her Evo with fart can and the cop told her her exhaust was illegal. Funny thing is she bought it that way from the dealer (used and modified).
This was confirmed in an add in my local paper. I dont remember the RCW code but it definitly stated that stock is all you can run.
Hope my wife dosn't get pulled over in my old Subaru I gave her once I bought the Vette..ooops.

Quick Reply: Louder Exhaust in WA State...Asking for Trouble??