Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Miata

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 01:31 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I was a mazda technician for about 8 years and I vehemently disagree with your statement. Miatas are incredibly reliable and build quality is in many respects superior to the c5. There is nothing gay about the Miata it is just terribly underpowered for modern standards. If the Miata had 350hp from factory no one would hate on it because they are a complete weapon when they have some more hp.
The c5 isn't exactly a bastion of build quality.

Admittedly I haven't been around a Miata since the early 10s, my experience with the most current gen is very limited. But the generations.befor that were cheaply built crap boxes. Every piece of plastic was cheap. We wouldn't even touch the early 00s ones in the shops I worked at because the plastics were so brittle and fragile, and the 90s ones the plastics just disintegrated. Maybe they got better, I dunno, I just have no interest in them. I don't like slow cars that pretend to be fast cars.

Oddly enough, I like slow cars that pretend they're fast but regular cars, like the fiesta ST, mini Cooper S, things like that.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:26 AM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

For me, it comes down to the available driving roads in your area. The roads in my area are mostly straight and flat so I went with a higher HP car to enjoy that aspect.

If I lived somewhere with better driving roads, then I would probably get a Miata or go up the range for a Cayman.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:53 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

I may sound like a broken record but here goes.
Test drive a Honda Type R. Best seats I ever sat in. Enough power to break the tires loose in first and sometimes in second gear and handling is off the chart good.
Test drive one then try to wipe the smile off your face.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:22 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want a convertible with more utility then a Miata, check out a 2019+ Z4.
Couple engine choices, the used 4 cylinder’s can be had in the 30’s. Much more upscale car inside then a Miata, soft top is surprisingly quiet with the top up.
I’ve had a Z4 M40i since September, former owner of a 2013 Miata PRHT.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:24 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 303 Posts

Got our 2020 Mustang GT vert out for the first time this year yesterday. Only about 60 degrees but the heater and heated seats made it very comfortable. The 5.0 is sweet and I'm a big time LS guy.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:45 PM
Keebs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just sold my 2008 Touring with 27,000 miles after 4 years. I put 10,000 miles on it in Michigan as a sunny day toy. The only problem I ever had was the fan motor going out which didn’t really bother me since I never drove the car with the top up.

Fun car but I couldn’t imagine it as a daily driver. Pulled up to a Ford F250 with my teenage daughter and looked at the bumper lined up with her head and decided it was time to sell.

I am sure I will miss it this summer.

Quick Reply: Miata