Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

C8 Z06 allocation/ordering still a joke... Went with a McLaren GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 12:03 AM
AdamK47
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Default C8 Z06 allocation/ordering still a joke... Went with a McLaren GT

Sold my 2016 Z06/Z07 3LZ convertible in 2021 in anticipation of the C8 Z06. Delays and then dealer shenanigans soon followed.

Bought a new base model R8 in 2022. While it was nice, I sold it before the fall of last year for a few grand more than I paid for it new. Averaged that money into tech sector stocks in Sept, Oct, and Nov. It performed amazingly well.

Now we still have dealers being greedy and there are still long wait times for allocations on the Z06. Never imagined it would be a mess two years later. Don't want to play their games.

Spring is here and I need (NEED!!) a fun car. Looked at newer 911s. Porsche dealers are even worse. Looked at Huracan's. They hold their prices well. The problem is that they hold their prices too well for a car introduced a decade ago.

Then I got to looking into McLarens. Thought of them as unreliable since that has always been the prevailing word of mouth on the Internet. The more I looked into them the more I realized that they aren't so bad. They haven't shaken the reputation from the MP4-12C days. The delays of the Artura and the initial build quality issues are of more recent examples. The GT on the other hand seems to be very reliable with greater quality as it borrows heavily from established models. The GT uses a detuned version of the 720S 4L twin turbo engine. Same monocell architecture as the 720S. It also has many of the same suspension components. All at a lower price compared to the 720/750. The focus is more on ride comfort rather than all out race performance of the 720/750. That's alright for me since I'll never track the car.

McLaren depreciation is a big consideration. There were still some leftover 2023 GTs being sold for new in the $220K to $230K range. A slightly used '23 GT with around 1K to 3K miles is $190K to $200K. I took advantage of the depreciation and bought (outright) a '23 GT with 1,028 miles for $190K. The sticker for it a year ago shows $223,470. Got them to include free PPF, a bottle of touch up paint (hard to find McLaren paint), and free delivery from North Carolina.

The color is Namaka Blue. Changes to different shades depending on the amount of sunlight. At dusk it looks almost black. On a sunny day you can see the lighter blue highlights around the deeper shades of blue.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:27 AM
Bald Guy
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts

Not bad. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:57 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Nice car.
If that is anything like the 600LT I had the chance to sit in, they are tough to get in and out of.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:03 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Beautiful car. Congratulations and enjoy.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:06 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,464 Likes on 789 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I was contemplating a 22 in the same colour. Found a great deal on a preowned 23 Z06/Z07 from a private sale instead. My issue with McLaren is there is no dealer near me (6 hours away). Beautiful car. The closest I'll get at this point is the 1/18 model I have in this exact colour combo. Enjoy!!!
Old 04-01-2024, 02:52 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,206 Likes on 597 Posts

Congrats on the purchase it's a nice car. My brother has had a few different Mac's over the years. He has had his GT for the past year and a half and so far it's been good. It's his road trip car for when he does not want to trailer the more expensive cars he has to drives. While his GT has been solid so far he definitely would not own a Mac out of warranty so it would still be wise to look into the extended service contract through your dealer. Enjoy the car.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:40 PM
AdamK47
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
Congrats on the purchase it's a nice car. My brother has had a few different Mac's over the years. He has had his GT for the past year and a half and so far it's been good. It's his road trip car for when he does not want to trailer the more expensive cars he has to drives. While his GT has been solid so far he definitely would not own a Mac out of warranty so it would still be wise to look into the extended service contract through your dealer. Enjoy the car.
It came with two years remaining on the factory warranty. Since it's CPO they add another year to it. Warranty expires January 2027. Also, 2023s get three years free service. Two remain. I get free service for 2025 and 2026. Have to ship the car on my own dime though since the closest dealer is 200 miles away.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:45 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
Nice car.
If that is anything like the 600LT I had the chance to sit in, they are tough to get in and out of.
nah. Squat, Sit, Pivot. Reverse to get out.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:50 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by vrybad
Nice car.
The GT is easy to get in and out of compared to a 600LT. Congrats to the OP for the purchase. Took a friend for a ride in my 720S and within 2 weeks he had a McLaren GT. He didn't want to do the price delta. I rode in his GT (didn't drive it). Definitely a fun car but the GT owner and myself agree (I let him say it first to me) but he goes it's not in the same league as a 720S but it's still sweet. I agree with him on that. Sweet ride but when you're ready for the big boy pants strap up to a 720S and when you want to go ***** to the wall go 765LT.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:57 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Congrats on an amazing purchase.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Z06 allocation/ordering still a joke... Went with a McLaren GT

Quick Reply: C8 Z06 allocation/ordering still a joke... Went with a McLaren GT