Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2023 Convertible With Only 493 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 01:34 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts

Well, that was an interesting ending. I wonder if BaT will keep up your posts criticizing their process and platform.

FWIW, since you mentioned wholesale prices in one of your posts, Manheim MMR has your ZL1 (with those miles and 4.9/5.0 Condition Report) at $67,500.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:50 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, still for sale after bidding got up to $71,150. And yes, BaT read my criticism.

Those wholesale numbers are rubber. When I use the online tools, it can't even process less than 1,000 miles driven, let alone a 2023 with only 493 miles. So it's a 5.0/5.0 not 4.9/5.0. And who really cares what the database uses for sales values for December & January on a convertible when it's March going into Summer (with a rare color - only 1:66)?

I learned so truths about BaT: When their platform pressures you to lower your reserve, so I did - 6 times in the last 24 hours - eventually down to just $1 over the reserve in hopes of stirring a flurry of bidding, and BaT still says "lower your reserve," it became clear they don't care about a flurry of bidding or a good auction - they only care about locking in a fee (from the buyer at any sales price).

Last edited by VETTEMANN; 02-29-2024 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:51 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
Yep, still for sale after bidding got up to $71,150. And yes, BaT read my criticism.

Those wholesale numbers are rubber. When I use the online tools, it can't even process less than 1,000 miles driven, let alone a 2023 with only 493 miles. So it's a 5.0/5.0 not 4.9/5.0. And who really cares what the database uses for sales values for December & January on a convertible when it's March going into Summer (with a rare color - only 1:66)?

I learned so truths about BaT: When their platform pressures you to lower your reserve, so I did - 6 times in the last 24 hours - eventually down to just $1 over the reserve in hopes of stirring a flurry of bidding, and BaT still says "lower your reserve," it became clear they don't care about a flurry of bidding or a good auction - they only care about locking in a fee (from the buyer at any sales price).
The wholesale MMR is a guide just like any other, but it is based on actual sales from the largest auction in the country, so it is a meaningful number, even for "rare" Camaros. Other meaningful data is the Instant Market Value from CarGurus and the asking prices for near identical units there (yes, I know, you have a "rare" color).

Now that the auction is over, what was your original reserve? What would it take to buy the vehicle today (an actual buyer may see this thread)?

I can understand your aggravation with the push to lower your reserve, but at the end of the day, you really can't fault the auction for processes that increase their revenue (they aren't a charity). You were able to get your rare Camaro on the hottest public auction site in the world (and received 5,527 views with 538 watchers). Unfortunately for you, the market spoke.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:10 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds like it was bid to market price. No one cares it’s an off color. Too many people think their car that was built on a Tuesday, in xx color, with xx options (when you can only pick a couple anyway), with xx stickers makes it worth more than any other of the same model. It doesn’t. Good luck with your future sale. Would be interested to know what the reserve was. Was it over $80k?
Old 02-29-2024, 05:44 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
Sounds like it was bid to market price. No one cares it’s an off color. Too many people think their car that was built on a Tuesday, in xx color, with xx options (when you can only pick a couple anyway), with xx stickers makes it worth more than any other of the same model. It doesn’t. Good luck with your future sale. Would be interested to know what the reserve was. Was it over $80k?
Nah, if you didn't follow the auction today, a Plain-Jane Orange ZL1 coupe, with same low miles (mine was 493), sold for $69K just a day before my car was scheduled to end. And convertibles usually go for $5K-$10K more than the coupes (1LE excluded). Of all the ZL1s produced from 16-23, only 14% were convertibles. So a reasonable expected price for my car might have been $74K-$78K, and maybe $80K if I had waited til April since it's a convertible. I wasn't being greedy at all.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:52 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UniqueDoug
The wholesale MMR is a guide just like any other, but it is based on actual sales from the largest auction in the country, so it is a meaningful number, even for "rare" Camaros. Other meaningful data is the Instant Market Value from CarGurus and the asking prices for near identical units there (yes, I know, you have a "rare" color).

Now that the auction is over, what was your original reserve? What would it take to buy the vehicle today (an actual buyer may see this thread)?

I can understand your aggravation with the push to lower your reserve, but at the end of the day, you really can't fault the auction for processes that increase their revenue (they aren't a charity). You were able to get your rare Camaro on the hottest public auction site in the world (and received 5,527 views with 538 watchers). Unfortunately for you, the market spoke.
My point was, which 'market' spoke? Not the looking-for-a-convertible-for-summer market, for sure. I was always afraid I was too early. And I learned that less than 40% of the cars in BaT auctions were of American origin (and many of those were older classics) - it seems more like Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari 'market' that was bidding to my eyes.

If I got a real offer for $73.5K this weekend, I'd let it go. If I have to wait a month, being a convertible, my target will be more like $75K-$77K.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:38 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
My point was, which 'market' spoke? Not the looking-for-a-convertible-for-summer market, for sure. I was always afraid I was too early. And I learned that less than 40% of the cars in BaT auctions were of American origin (and many of those were older classics) - it seems more like Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari 'market' that was bidding to my eyes.
The BaT on 2/29/2024 market spoke. Your timing may have been off, but the results of the auction are still relevant. I understand the whole convertible timing thing, but being from FL, I never really paid attention to it. Foreign vs American debate semantics aside, you still had your vehicle for sale on the most popular public auction site in the world.

...If I got a real offer for $73.5K this weekend, I'd let it go. If I have to wait a month, being a convertible, my target will be more like $75K-$77K.
Your pricing and expectations are reasonable. On a side note, if you are able, you may want to think about paying off the vehicle before the next attempt at a sale (that may have affected this auction). With that type of coin, most buyers want to do the transaction and walk with a title versus the nuances of dealing with payoffs and the inevitable delays.

Also, I haven't checked, but if you already don't have it listed on Facebook marketplace, I would do so. I would also list it on the Low Miles No Miles Facebook page. And if you're in the mood, CarGurus and Autotrader. Good luck!

Old 02-29-2024, 09:42 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UniqueDoug
Your pricing and expectations are reasonable. On a side note, if you are able, you may want to think about paying off the vehicle before the next attempt at a sale (that may have affected this auction). With that type of coin, most buyers want to do the transaction and walk with a title versus the nuances of dealing with payoffs and the inevitable delays.

Also, I haven't checked, but if you already don't have it listed on Facebook marketplace, I would do so. I would also list it on the Low Miles No Miles Facebook page. And if you're in the mood, CarGurus and Autotrader. Good luck!
TTT
Old 03-02-2024, 08:57 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Nice car. I'm a little surprised it didn't go for more.but the market isn't what it was.

Still have the Viper?
Old 03-02-2024, 09:09 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Nice car. I'm a little surprised it didn't go for more.but the market isn't what it was.

Still have the Viper?
Sold the Viper a few years ago. I've got some offers for the ZL1, but a dealer friend of mine told me it's too early to sell a convertible - April would be better.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:10 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

ZL1 is Sold.

Quick Reply: 2023 Convertible With Only 493 Miles