Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

My VIR garage mate - I don’t understand why GM won’t make a car like this…

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 10:01 AM
Car Junkie 24
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
You clearly don’t understand the point of this post and/or don’t go to the track. I want an OEM factory car I can do track events with no mods; GM won’t make one. They pretend to.
They DO make one. It's called the Z06 GT3.R. It's sold by GM. I filled out an interest form to buy it as a "collector/enthusiast" but was not called upon for purchase.

So in the primary market they are virtually unobtanium, just like the Porsche you pictured.

Btw, the C8Z has faster lap times than the GT3, and virtually identical lap times to the GT3RS. So stop the whining.

Just mod your car to your liking.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:29 AM
minuteman71
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 173 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 02-17-2024, 12:06 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 399 Posts

FWIW Interesting to note (@14:43) that Pobst is running in PTM Sport, not Race 1 or 2. He made a couple of comments about being "loose" on corner exit. According to the owner's manual, PTM Sport makes the same power available for corner exit as Race 1, but it leaves the ESC on. He is also shifting manually.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:55 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,527 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Junkie 24
They DO make one. It's called the Z06 GT3.R. It's sold by GM. I filled out an interest form to buy it as a "collector/enthusiast" but was not called upon for purchase.

So in the primary market they are virtually unobtanium, just like the Porsche you pictured.

Btw, the C8Z has faster lap times than the GT3, and virtually identical lap times to the GT3RS. So stop the whining.

Just mod your car to your liking.
The Z06 GT3.R is a race car for the track only, no street possibilities. If you think Ford was selective of customers for the Ford GT, it was mass market vs the Z06 GT3.R which will only be sold to race teams selected very selectively by Chevy. Ultimately Chevy may make 20-30 GT3.Rs, none sold to collectors before the race cars are fully used up on the track. Oh, and the GT3 RS is half the price of the GT3,R.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:01 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The Porsche pictured in thread starter RapidC84B's first post is a 991.2 GT3 RS. It has some obvious alterations to the stock configuration: the brakes have been modified (PCCB brake rotors and calipers have been removed), a rear wing with goose-neck struts replaces the stock 991.2 GT3RS rear wing, and canards have been added to the front bumper cover. The wheels are not original to the car, and it's safe to assume that the wheel and tire selection is part of the car's owner's intention to adjust the car's balance of performance specifically for the track.

The price of a stock 991.2 GT3 RS easily undercuts the price of a 992 GT3 RS in today's ADM market: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest.

The Empire State Region of the FCA regularly has cars like the C8 Z06 and 991.2 GT3 RS at its events at Watkins Glen International and Lime Rock Park. Those cars have reliable, sustainable performance and run competitive laps--especially in the hands of skilled drivers.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:19 PM
minn19
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
The Porsche pictured in thread starter RapidC84B's first post is a 991.2 GT3 RS. It has some obvious alterations to the stock configuration: the brakes have been modified (PCCB brake rotors and calipers have been removed), a rear wing with goose-neck struts replaces the stock 991.2 GT3RS rear wing, and canards have been added to the front bumper cover. The wheels are not original to the car, and it's safe to assume that the wheel and tire selection is part of the car's owner's intention to adjust the car's balance of performance specifically for the track.

The price of a stock 991.2 GT3 RS easily undercuts the price of a 992 GT3 RS in today's ADM market: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest.

The Empire State Region of the FCA regularly has cars like the C8 Z06 and 991.2 GT3 RS at its events at Watkins Glen International and Lime Rock Park. Those cars have reliable, sustainable performance and run competitive laps--especially in the hands of skilled drivers.
I was going as apples to apples for a new C8 Z06 (Z07) to current model 992 GT3RS in my example earlier. The cheapest GT3RS I found with a quick cars.com search is still 175k and is 8-9 years old. Then as you stated, you have to put thousands of $$$ in mods into it to get it to the car pictured.

My main point being is if you want a GT3RS, then get a GT3RS or wait and see what Chevy is going to do with the Zora, they may go all out like a GT3RS. Again though, good luck getting one. One could put tens of thousands into a C8 Z06 and still have 1/4 million left over for track time, consumables, repairs etc vs a newish 992 GT3RS. Just food for thought in this discussion.

I’ve had a Porsche with carbon buckets and they are wonderful when in them and on the track. They really get annoying quick if you are trying to use the car for anything else. I’ll take the compromise with Z06 seats over those every time. Unless you are buying them as just a dedicated track car, which even most GT3RS owners don’t do.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...-697c36a43ffc/

Last edited by minn19; 02-17-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:16 AM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

Going on a C8 Z06 forum to tell EVERYBODY how much better your modified GT3 is and that GM "pretends" to make a track car is a weird flex. It smells alot like "I'm the smartest guy in the room" syndrome.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:23 AM
Latterlon
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 155 Posts

One of Corvette's biggest positive and negative is that it's a GM product. They get the breadth of engineering, volume, cost savings, etc. but are also hampered in some ways by that big corporate leviathan (side note, for instance why is every GM product tied together via design language? You see similar themes from a Cadillac flagship to Corvette to the trucks to econo EV's. Each division should have its own unique language.) The Corvette crew is unique with their passion and expertise but they have to work within the machine to get a good, high value car to the people.

I was recently thinking how Chevy should make a Z06.R by adding the huge ZR1 aero/bonnet, strip out as much weight as possible and include some genuinely great lightweight bucket seats.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:36 AM
bobgolub@hotmail.com
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
I’m 6’4” and barely fit in my car with a helmet and the stock seats are barely mediocre. I’d gladly pay for a Porsche bucket option vs. and aftermarket seat. I have a paragon bar from my last C8 I haven’t installed, but it’s not a safety item like a real 4-pt.
I like my comp seats. If you pull the belt all the way out it locks. I do this with my seat back and then use the seat memory button to return to the normal setting. Doing this you can make the belt as tight as you want, and I find that it holds me in quite well. I did look into a harness bar so I could use a harness, but you could only do a 4 point, and PCA (who I frequently run with) requires at least a 5 point. I don’t see why GM couldn’t add slots for an anti submarine belt in their “comp” seats.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:51 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgolub@hotmail.com
I like my comp seats. If you pull the belt all the way out it locks. I do this with my seat back and then use the seat memory button to return to the normal setting. Doing this you can make the belt as tight as you want, and I find that it holds me in quite well. I did look into a harness bar so I could use a harness, but you could only do a 4 point, and PCA (who I frequently run with) requires at least a 5 point. I don’t see why GM couldn’t add slots for an anti submarine belt in their “comp” seats.
Hey Bob... yeah I preach the ratchet mode for the OEM belt. Fun fact in the early C5Z06 days the car came w/ a VHS and one section was for track prep and they highlight this feature; been doing it ever since.

GM is very leery about doing anything to "promote" harness use due to legal, but then again they have the harness shoulder pass-throughs in the seats so why not a sub strap slot too? There was a Q&A at one of the Bash events when C8 was first coming out and they were asked about incorporating shoulder belt mounting into the factory chassis/bulk-head behind the seat and they said Legal wouldn't let them get into that at all.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:55 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not sure if the Comp seats are one piece. On my GT2 seats, you can slide the sub strap up between the bottom of the seat back and the back of the seat cushion and sit on it, having a true 6-point harness with functional sub strap.

The 3" competition lap belt, put on tight and then moving the seat forward a small amount does compress the seat bottom and gain you a little more head room (1/2" to 1"?). I find there is more head room in the C8Z than my C6Z had.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:05 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I am not sure if the Comp seats are one piece. On my GT2 seats, you can slide the sub strap up between the bottom of the seat back and the back of the seat cushion and sit on it, having a true 6-point harness with functional sub strap.

The 3" competition lap belt, put on tight and then moving the seat forward a small amount does compress the seat bottom and gain you a little more head room (1/2" to 1"?). I find there is more head room in the C8Z than my C6Z had.
I run a Paragon harness bar and 8-point TeamTech Jetpilot harness. The comp seats do have a slit between the bottom cushion and seat back, where you can slide the sub belts - as Dave indicates. The sub belts then snap into eye bolts in the bracket at the bottom/back of the seat mounting point. You sit on the sub belt, but it is unobtrusive. The Jetpilot harness has extra straps around the thighs - like on a rock climber's harness - that are probably not really necessary. Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2024, 01:12 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The TeamTech Jet Pilot harness is an excellent one and does not need a separate sub strap or mount as it is integrated with the 3" lap belt. $$$ but excellent.

Quick Reply: My VIR garage mate - I don’t understand why GM won’t make a car like this…