Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Corvette C8 vs. Lexus LC500 in 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 06:51 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
First, and only LC500 I saw on a public road was on a car hauler as we were driving to Key West. I was immediately star struck. Has to be one of the top 3 cars being build today as far as exterior shape.
I see them around fairly frequently, once or twice a month. I'm not a huge fan. I see C8s multiple times a day though, so I agree about the uniqueness aspect. Every divorced boomer here has a c8 that he's trying to convince younger women is an exotic and not a Chevy.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:58 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I see them around fairly frequently, once or twice a month. I'm not a huge fan. I see C8s multiple times a day though, so I agree about the uniqueness aspect. Every divorced boomer here has a c8 that he's trying to convince younger women is an exotic and not a Chevy.
Ha...had to chuckle and agree at the same time!
Old 01-14-2024, 02:44 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Ha...had to chuckle and agree at the same time!
Lol yep.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:47 PM
foot 1
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 117 Posts

You should look into the Lexus Performance Driving School , it is offered at several tracks around the country . You get to drive the LC 500 on a race track , it’s a lead follow format but still fun . They use to offer a $5 k discount coupon towards the purchase of a new LC 500 after attending the event .
Old 01-14-2024, 05:17 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I guess I am a hairdresser since I’ve owned several Miata’s and currently have a base 718 Boxster. Both are an absolute blast to drive. The Miata is not a touring car. It’s just too small. The Boxster is ok for trips. I do 600 mile runs with it and it is pretty comfortable. With two trunks it has decent luggage space. And it doesn’t feel small inside like the Miata.

That said I agree with the ordering process and the 718 is expensive to maintain for what it is. How about a new BMW m40i z4 with the B58 engine. It’s more modern inside and that engine is sweet. It doesn’t handle as good as the 718 but I would think it would be a better touring car.
I have a CPO 2021 Z4 M40i, it is an excellent GT roadster. But with the OP looking at 100k GT cars that is a level above the Z4 (MSRP 74k)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:20 PM
FranknStein
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
I have a CPO 2021 Z4 M40i, it is an excellent GT roadster. But with the OP looking at 100k GT cars that is a level above the Z4 (MSRP 74k)
I would be happy to pay less, I just really want a V8. I think I just want something with a silly amount of torque. I think I would prefer naturally aspirated, but I probably wouldn’t kick a BMW turbo V8 out of bed.

It’s actually kind of interesting comparing the M4 to the M850i, but I think I would get the latter for the V8. I also just ******* hate the frontend of the new 3 and 4 series. Absolutely hideous.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:59 PM
mikeflores2000
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swolejack
I work in a Lexus dealership and I can buy an LC500 for a slight upcharge over dealer invoice.
I drove the LC500 when we had our launch event in Foxboro and it is a ball to drive and fit and
finish, typical outstanding Lexus quality. That being said, I hope to take delivery of my new C8 in April.
Daily drive a Cadillac DTS so the C8 is my FUN car.
I can change a spark plug in under 3 minutes
without jacking up my wife’s
2019 UX Lexus 250h F sport.
Can same be said for the Lexus LC 500?
Are spark plugs accessible after removing
engine cover?

Last edited by mikeflores2000; 01-15-2024 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:01 AM
mikeflores2000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FranknStein
So I've been wanting a GT car for a while. I basically want a comfortable fast car to take on long trips on the weekends. I've been planning on getting a C8 for a while now. I rented one for several hours and enjoyed it. It wasn't quite the level of spectacular I was hoping for, but it was a great car. Now the LC500, I've always thought it was a stunning car. I frankly cast it off because every single review absolutely skewered the touchpad-controlled infotainment system. Now for 2024 they have changed it to a more modern touchscreen layout. Now that the one glaring issue with the LC500 has been fixed, I'm struggling to decide between the two. I realize they are quite different, and the C8 will be much faster in a straight line. But for my intended purpose, a long distance GT car, it's a bit of a tougher choice.

One of the pros for the LC500 is adaptive cruise control. This is actually a major sticking point for me because I've gotten so used to it on other cars. I'm finding it very difficult to stomach spending nearly six figures on a car that doesn't have it. The LC500 in general has more luxury features like automatic wipers. The wiper thing isn't that big of a deal, but the LC500 just feels like the 'total package'. The interior of the LC500 also seems a bit higher quality and luxurious (maybe the nicest interior money can buy outside of $200k+ Bentleys?). I also think the design of the Lexus is a bit more timeless, and there are far fewer on the road. Personally, I would also trust the build quality and reliability of the Lexus a bit more. I actually think the Lexus sounds better too.

The C8 will of course be faster and sportier. I absolutely would get the convertible version too. I honestly think the folding hardtop is one of the biggest selling points of the C8. I think the only other reasonably priced car with a folding hardtop these days is the Miata RF. The soft top on the LC500 is a non-starter; I would get the coupe version. The luggage situation on the C8 is a fair bit better as well.

I'm mostly thinking out loud here, but has anyone spent a decent amount of time driving both?
The Lexus LC500 and IS 500

equipped with a 5.0-liter V8 engine that is part of the Yamaha-developed family. It's known for its performance and is designated as the

2UR-GSE engine. Carbon buildup on intake

valve not occur due to dual port injection.

Gasoline will wash over intake valve.

Denso plugs are installed on almost every automobile model manufactured in Japan. The iridium used in them has a superior hardness. The electrode's diameter in these plugs shrinks more than an NGK. For this reason, Denso plugs won't last longer than NGK units but they will be better at producing powerful sparks. Replace every 50,000 miles not 100k.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:26 AM
mikeflores2000
Intermediate

So I've been wanting a GT car for a while. I basically want a comfortable fast car to take on long trips on the weekends. I've been planning on getting a C8 for a while now. I rented one for several hours and enjoyed it. It wasn't quite the level of spectacular I was hoping for, but it was a great car. Now the LC500, I've always thought it was a stunning car. I frankly cast it off because every single review absolutely skewered the touchpad-controlled infotainment system. Now for 2024 they have changed it to a more modern touchscreen layout. Now that the one glaring issue with the LC500 has been fixed, I'm struggling to decide between the two. I realize they are quite different, and the C8 will be much faster in a straight line. But for my intended purpose, a long distance GT car, it's a bit of a tougher choice.

One of the pros for the LC500 is adaptive cruise control. This is actually a major sticking point for me because I've gotten so used to it on other cars. I'm finding it very difficult to stomach spending nearly six figures on a car that doesn't have it. The LC500 in general has more luxury features like automatic wipers. The wiper thing isn't that big of a deal, but the LC500 just feels like the 'total package'. The interior of the LC500 also seems a bit higher quality and luxurious (maybe the nicest interior money can buy outside of $200k+ Bentleys?). I also think the design of the Lexus is a bit more timeless, and there are far fewer on the road. Personally, I would also trust the build quality and reliability of the Lexus a bit more. I actually think the Lexus sounds better too.

The C8 will of course be faster and sportier. I absolutely would get the convertible version too. I honestly think the folding hardtop is one of the biggest selling points of the C8. I think the only other reasonably priced car with a folding hardtop these days is the Miata RF. The soft top on the LC500 is a non-starter; I would get the coupe version. The luggage situation on the C8 is a fair bit better as well.

I'm mostly thinking out loud here, but has anyone spent a decent amount of time driving both?
Here’s a clip LC 500 versus C8 Corvette

Last edited by mikeflores2000; 01-15-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:14 AM
Swolejack
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeflores2000
I can change a spark plug in under 3 minutes
without jacking up my wife’s
2019 UX Lexus 250h F sport.
Can same be said for the Lexus LC 500c?
Are spark plugs accessible after removing
engine cover?
I don't know but we sell more TPMS hardware than sparkplugs. Service interval on spark plugs
(even on the older cars) is way less frequent than the old non electronic ignition systems.
50K seems about the going rate these days
Old 01-15-2024, 09:28 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeflores2000
Here’s a clip LC 500c v C8 Corvette
https://youtu.be/41gUvWDRYAE?si=R8P4b-t3FM9EhR4q
Good video and comparison. Most accurate words describing the LC500 - heavy, soft, not a sports car.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:28 PM
mikeflores2000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDSKY
Good video and comparison. Most accurate words describing the LC500 - heavy, soft, not a sports car.
I forgot to mention doors, hood and trunk each
cost $10,000 to replace in an accident. The Lexus LC500 and IS 500 are equipped with a 5.0-liter V8 engine that is part of the Yamaha-developed family. It's known for its performance and is designated as the

2UR-GSE engine. Carbon buildup on intake

valve not occur due to dual port injection.

Gasoline will wash over intake valve.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:33 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

I would be happy to pay less, I just really want a V8. I think I just want something with a silly amount of torque. I think I would prefer naturally aspirated, but I probably wouldn’t kick a BMW turbo V8 out of bed.

It’s actually kind of interesting comparing the M4 to the M850i, but I think I would get the latter for the V8. I also just ******* hate the frontend of the new 3 and 4 series. Absolutely hideous.
The Z4 has a similar front end to the 8 series, but it uses the inline 6 turbo motor. While not being a V8 it is a fantastic engine, I’m averaging slightly over 30 mpg every tankful. (Highway drives get 35+mpg) and it is decently quick (C&D recent test 3.5 0-60 and 12.0 1/4 mile). For 2025 it can be optioned with a manual, one of the few roadsters left that offer one.

The 4 series are looking better now to me since the shock factor of the new grill has worn off lol.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:47 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

The 4 series is still ugly to me. So ugly it kept me from even considering stepping down into an M3 instead of an SUV. BMW really ruined the car with that face.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:32 AM
FranknStein
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The 4 series is still ugly to me. So ugly it kept me from even considering stepping down into an M3 instead of an SUV. BMW really ruined the car with that face.
It’s even worse if you option the front radar. Add a front license plate, and it’s a complete mess. Another plus for me with the LC500 is that a front license actually doesn’t look too terrible. Since the front grill is so large a front license plate doesn’t disrupt any major lines. I also assume the front radar is hidden behind the Lexus badge.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:55 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Crazy thing is BMW had record sales in 2023, the 3/4 series are doing well.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:29 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Crazy thing is BMW had record sales in 2023, the 3/4 series are doing well.
The 3 series is handsome, they didn't ruin it with that ugly front end (except M3). I didn't realize that until after I got my X5, or I'd have considered an M340i xdrive.

​​

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C8 vs. Lexus LC500 in 2024

Old 01-17-2024, 11:53 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Both are great in their own way. For those that want a sports car, the C8, but people shouldn't foot themselves. An experienced driver in the Lexus will leave all of the "nope, need a sports car that handles" folks that don't actually track for dead on anything but a dead strait away. Don't dismiss the capabilities of a car simply because of lack of your own talent or professional track times. Just don't ask a car to be something it isn't in everyday traffic. Razor edge car that is still comfy? C8. Super comfy car that still does everything else well? Lexus. Pick your poison, you can't have it all.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:26 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Both are great in their own way. For those that want a sports car, the C8, but people shouldn't foot themselves. An experienced driver in the Lexus will leave all of the "nope, need a sports car that handles" folks that don't actually track for dead on anything but a dead strait away. Don't dismiss the capabilities of a car simply because of lack of your own talent or professional track times. Just don't ask a car to be something it isn't in everyday traffic. Razor edge car that is still comfy? C8. Super comfy car that still does everything else well? Lexus. Pick your poison, you can't have it all.
ABSOLUTELY.

​​​​​People would often talk about how "Challengers don't handle" or whatever other vehicles. What any semi performance car can do right now vs a sports car from 10-15 years ago is insane. The limits of modern vehicles are INSANE, well beyond what a non trained driver can hope to reach.

Buy the car that fits your use. I had a BLAST in the twisty mountain roads of NC in everything from a sporty SUV, to a V8 Grand Cherokee, to a mini cooper, Subaru STI, to a series of Corvettes. A c8 will be no more fun in back roads than anything else, and to be totally honest, most of those roads you're really not gonna hit more than 45mph unless you messed up and are careening down the side of the mountain. So the extra performance of a C8 isn't gonna get you anything out there.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:45 PM
mikeflores2000
Intermediate

ABSOLUTELY.

​​​​​People would often talk about how "Challengers don't handle" or whatever other vehicles. What any semi performance car can do right now vs a sports car from 10-15 years ago is insane. The limits of modern vehicles are INSANE, well beyond what a non trained driver can hope to reach.

Buy the car that fits your use. I had a BLAST in the twisty mountain roads of NC in everything from a sporty SUV, to a V8 Grand Cherokee, to a mini cooper, Subaru STI, to a series of Corvettes. A c8 will be no more fun in back roads than anything else, and to be totally honest, most of those roads you're really not gonna hit more than 45mph unless you messed up and are careening down the side of the mountain. So the extra performance of a C8 isn't gonna get you anything out there.
But imagine missing out on the thrill of careening
down a canyon over 45 MPH! I rolled and totaled
my daddy’s new 1971 AMC Sportabout.
Imagine the virtual wood shed whipping.
After I graduated from Cal Poly SLO I paid back
my loving dad putting a new roof pulling off 20 year old asphalt shingles from our family home.

Quick Reply: Corvette C8 vs. Lexus LC500 in 2024