Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Extended coverage on Honda Certified pre-owned cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 12:37 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Extended coverage on Honda Certified pre-owned cars

I never purchased extended warranty coverage on a vehicle mainly because I never kept any car or truck more than 3 years and if something went bad I usually fixed it myself. I don’t care to do repairs any more.
With a Honda Accord Touring, just turned 15,000 miles on a 2020 that is preowned in Honda’s “True used” certification process, I just read the benefits (as seen below) and it looks like its redundant coverage. I forgot from purchasing my 2006 Z06 that guys were buying warranty plans from places other than the dealer they bought from for a lot less.~

What is your opinion on a $3500 extended warranty that covers 8 years, 100,000 miles for this car. I already have it but it’s refundable inside the first 30 days and pro rated after that. I’m just second-guessing the logic now.
Old 10-15-2023, 03:01 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LMB

I never purchased extended warranty coverage on a vehicle mainly because I never kept any car or truck more than 3 years and if something went bad I usually fixed it myself. I don’t care to do repairs any more.
With a Honda Accord Touring, just turned 15,000 miles on a 2020 that is preowned in Honda’s “True used” certification process, I just read the benefits (as seen below) and it looks like its redundant coverage. I forgot from purchasing my 2006 Z06 that guys were buying warranty plans from places other than the dealer they bought from for a lot less.~

What is your opinion on a $3500 extended warranty that covers 8 years, 100,000 miles for this car. I already have it but it’s refundable inside the first 30 days and pro rated after that. I’m just second-guessing the logic now.
Seems a little pricey. I got an 8 year / 100k coverage policy for my Ram 2500 and it cost 1650. And I would think the Ram is far more prone to break down than a Honda.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:12 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

A friend paid $1060 covering the same miles and years for his 2020 Passport. There was a poster on the wall in the showroom that said it was 12 months, 100,000 miles on Honda True Used Certified cars and trucks. So that made the extended warranty coverage much greater. Now online it reads differently. If Im reading this correctly Im paying $3500 for a year extra if I don’t reach 100,000 miles first.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:34 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,696 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LMB

I have never purchased an extended warranty and would never have collected on one. A Honda that has regular routine maintenance is about as long term reliable as it gets. You can guess my vote/advice.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:53 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 303 Posts

We just bought a new to us 2020 Mustang GT vert from a local dealer. It's a "certified" 20K mile car. Included in the price is an extended warranty from the dealer. 7 years from purchase date and 100K miles. If used $500 deductible. Still has the Ford power train warranty 5 year 60K miles so no deductible.
We never buy the aftermarket extended on our daily drivers. You have to careful with the aftermarket warranties as some won't be honored unless you are at the dealership you bought car from.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

I’m the same as you then, but I’m getting to the point I no longer want to do repairs on these new cars, everything is a major pita! Getting to the the PVC fitting you usually have 10 other things to remove just to get to replace it.
Yes, Hondas are extremely reliable however with most all cars these days, the hight\ tech enhancements are known to fail more often and are usually the most expensive parts to replace. It wouldn’t have been a thought to get extended coverage on a base level Honda. I have a name and number of a Honda dealer in OH that sells the same extended warranty for 2/3rds less, but that doesn’t address my issue at hand. I bought the extended coverage based on a bad interpretation of my reading in the showroom (purely my fault). Then finding the Honda chart for promotion of their certified pre-owned cars - I believe I’m buying overlapping or redundant coverage. So if I’m wrong it’s a matter of just getting a full refund of the $3500 and repurchase the same fore $1060. If it’s factual that its not worth even the lessor amount because the extended warranty greatly overlaps the “Honda True Certified Used” program.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:24 PM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

Pass..its a honda dont worry about anything.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

I've bought and used an extended warranty twice, both like 15 years ago on higher mile, older cars. Interesting part is that both were used for AC repairs, and barely broke even at like $1200 for the coverage.

All the other vehicles I've bought without that coverage never needed it. So I'd skip it, especially on a newer Honda. 8 years and 100k from now you probably won't want to put 3k worth of repairs into it. When does the factory and CPO warranty run out? I wouldn't have any additional coverage until that runs out.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:56 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I used to run an Acura dealer and familiar with Honda/Acura Certified Wrapper coverage.

1/The unit must be truly Honda/Acura Certified. Not dealer certified, not Bob in the back looked it over.

2/The added coverage from the usual 12month warranty is discounted deeply when Certified. However, this doesn't prevent the Finance guy from marking it up. The coverage you purchased is excellent, but you probably paid 20-30% over the deal you could have negotiated. Often this is out of the Finance guy's hands as many dealers artificially inflate the cost to force buyers to use a 3rd party where they make more margin.

I'd suggest getting some quotes for Honda ESC from online dealers and see. If you can cancel and pay less elsewhere, may be worth the savings.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:03 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Some years ago I thought about getting a warranty on my used SS Camaro, someone
here said, Save the money in case something really breaks. Nothing broke, saved
money and did well selling to Carmax
Old 10-18-2023, 01:40 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Thanks, yes I was taken. It sucks that I can get the same extended warranty from another Honda dealer for 2/3s less. The warranty company says they send the full refund to the bank and the bank takes that amount off the backend. Meanwhile, if I did want the lesser costing warranty coverage it’s more money out of pocket up front. It seems I failed to think about everything before signing, it’s been a costly year for this idiot.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:54 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
I used to run an Acura dealer and familiar with Honda/Acura Certified Wrapper coverage.

1/The unit must be truly Honda/Acura Certified. Not dealer certified, not Bob in the back looked it over.

2/The added coverage from the usual 12month warranty is discounted deeply when Certified. However, this doesn't prevent the Finance guy from marking it up. The coverage you purchased is excellent, but you probably paid 20-30% over the deal you could have negotiated. Often this is out of the Finance guy's hands as many dealers artificially inflate the cost to force buyers to use a 3rd party where they make more margin.

I'd suggest getting some quotes for Honda ESC from online dealers and see. If you can cancel and pay less elsewhere, may be worth the savings.
Thank you Closer. This is surely a “TrueHonda Certified” as you see in the 2nd column of the chart I posted from. Any excuse I have for dropping the ball I have already stated so I won’t repeat. Yeah, I can get a refund but it’s now like a down payment I won’t see until the last year of the loan. To buy another warranty that is about $1060 for the very same (at an Ohio dealer) is putting MORE money out right now.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:47 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Ok, So I have 8 years, 120,000 miles for $3464 which is comprehensive coverage until November 30, 2031. This is by Eithos

compared to

5 years 120,000 miles for $1095 ending November 30, 2028 by Honda Care

I have no idea if there is any coverage differences, if one contract is better than the other.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended coverage on Honda Certified pre-owned cars

Quick Reply: Extended coverage on Honda Certified pre-owned cars