Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Help with troubleshooting 396 starting issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 09:57 AM
mrbbchevy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yovenim
had my car to a cruise last night. it ran great on the way, about a 40 min ride. hung out and the drove back home. i stopped at a buddies house for about an hour and whent to leave and the motor turns over fine but just won't start. went back this morning and tried again, still nothing. any ideas ? seems like there is fuel there. really did not get a chance to get much futher.
is there spark? Hei ignition? if no spark, test ignition module
Old 11-03-2023, 08:56 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hook the + coil terminal to any 12v key on ignition source.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:36 PM
belmor
Safety Car

Long time without an update. I ended up finding a shop willing to work on the car and it has been there for a while.

The shop owner got the car running by rewiring the starter and replacing the old distributor with an HEI and replacing the carb.. That is where the good news ends. This car was for sure in a flood and cylinder #7 has no compression if you rev the engine that cylinder is popping thru the carb so I think it has a stuck valve. I am going to pull the valve cover and see if I can soak it in something and get it freed up but it seems like a rebuild is going to be needed. It sucks because aside from that it runs well.

The trans was checked and seemed fine (wasn't overfilled and had good red fluid) but when we started moving it around it is slipping badly and now the fluid, lines and cooler are full of pink slime because it had water in it as well. I have actually driven it under its own power but looks like while we aren't in hurricane season I have a lot of work to do.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:43 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by belmor
Long time without an update. I ended up finding a shop willing to work on the car and it has been there for a while.

The shop owner got the car running by rewiring the starter and replacing the old distributor with an HEI and replacing the carb.. That is where the good news ends. This car was for sure in a flood and cylinder #7 has no compression if you rev the engine that cylinder is popping thru the carb so I think it has a stuck valve. I am going to pull the valve cover and see if I can soak it in something and get it freed up but it seems like a rebuild is going to be needed. It sucks because aside from that it runs well.

The trans was checked and seemed fine (wasn't overfilled and had good red fluid) but when we started moving it around it is slipping badly and now the fluid, lines and cooler are full of pink slime because it had water in it as well. I have actually driven it under its own power but looks like while we aren't in hurricane season I have a lot of work to do.
That sucks, flood cars are the gift that keeps on giving. Keep us updated, and good luck.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:09 AM
belmor
Safety Car

Well I found out why #7 has no compression the old L shaped push rod on what I think is the exhaust valve (second closest to the firewall). I ordered a new set of push rods. I haven't figured out if the valve is stuck-I can't get a good angle on it to tap because of it being blocked by the master cylinder and booster. I am going to try and devise a way to make sure its not stuck before putting a new push rod in-I went ahead and soaked it in PB blaster just in case. Inside of the heads was very clean.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:35 PM
belmor
Safety Car

I checked the valve from the cylinder with the bent push rod and it was not stuck.

I ordered new push rods and they came in and were too big in diameter to fit. Typical.

I beat the bent one straight and installed it and the engine runs good, no misses or popping but has some top end noise that comes and goes. I wonder if the lifter isn't bad or on its way out. I ordered another set of push rods hopefully the correct diameter this time and will see how it behaves.

All things considered the engine runs very well.

Quick Reply: Help with troubleshooting 396 starting issue?