Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Help me with a SAV

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 06:29 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Help me with a SAV

My other post about a BMW X3 is a bit dated and I've been searching since then. Seems when I find something I get hung up on one aspect or another. I've narrowed it down to a few other makes and models besides the X3 M40i. If anyone has any feedback about the following models please share good or bad. Maintenance is a key part since I'll be buying used (2019+) so I need knowledge about extended warranty. If you haven't seen my other post my trade in is a 2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 302a option with 41k miles. I've changed a few things to my taste. Unseen best trade in value I've gotten is $31K I owe $18K

My options:
1. Bmw x3 M40i
2. Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
3. Porsche Macan S
4. Cadallic XT4 Sport
5. Genesis GV70 2.5T (hard to find used)
6. Jaguar F- Pace S
7. MB GLC 300 4 matic
8. Maserati Levante S Grandsport

Old 08-04-2023, 07:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakecharmer383
My other post about a BMW X3 is a bit dated and I've been searching since then. Seems when I find something I get hung up on one aspect or another. I've narrowed it down to a few other makes and models besides the X3 M40i. If anyone has any feedback about the following models please share good or bad. Maintenance is a key part since I'll be buying used (2019+) so I need knowledge about extended warranty. If you haven't seen my other post my trade in is a 2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 302a option with 41k miles. I've changed a few things to my taste. Unseen best trade in value I've gotten is $31K I owe $18K

My options:
1. Bmw x3 M40i
3. Porsche Macan S
4. Cadallic XT4 Sport
6. Jaguar F- Pace S
7. MB GLC 300 4 matic
Why are you looking at the base engine in the gv70? The v6 one is way better, and more directly competes with the others. If it was me and I had to pay for upkeep, that'd be my choice. The caddy is crap, the Volvo is unreliable Chinese crap, macan is a tiny little hatchback.
. F pace and levante are nice... I dunno I'd probably still be cheap and err on the genesis warranty.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:14 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

I'm def. not a fan of a 2.0T in the caddy but the styling appeals to me, only the sport model. I have driven one and agree it is small. Is this comparable to a Macan? The gv70 is fairly new and I can't afford the 3.5 price tag. I almost have to lean one way or the other when it comes to more hp. vs. options (spec). Again this is a nice sunny day run around town vehicle not daily driven and if spaces allows we may take on vacation. I feel like even thought I like the Maserati the upkeep cost kills it. The one I found was MSRP of $90,750 and the asking price is $43K and it's a 2018. That is a huge hit for 5 years.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:06 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 375 Posts

Nobody should consider a Maserati ever unless it’s like their third or fourth vehicle and they can live without for 1/3 of the time, since that’s approximately how much of its life it will spend in the shop.

Why isn’t Acura RDX or Lexus RX on this list?
Old 08-05-2023, 09:18 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
Nobody should consider a Maserati ever unless it’s like their third or fourth vehicle and they can live without for 1/3 of the time, since that’s approximately how much of its life it will spend in the shop.

RX isn't sporty at all but such a great vehicle. Honestly if xt4 and macan are on the list, even the NX should be considered. If I didn't care about performance... Lexus all the way.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:17 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Originally Posted by FAUEE
RX isn't sporty at all but such a great vehicle. Honestly if xt4 and macan are on the list, even the NX should be considered. If I didn't care about performance... Lexus all the way.
Five years ago my mother wanted a new SUV in this class. And she wanted to be very hands off and just have me handle it all for her. I was working for Acura at the time so naturally the RDX was a strong suggestion. But it’s my mom, She had a Lexus when the brand first was on sale and she always liked Lexus. But she hated the predator mouth looks of the current RX and NX. She absolutely didn’t need any kind of performance, so Macan Turbos, X3 Ms, and so on we’re not considered. I looked at everything in the class. And just did a whole PowerPoint style presentation for her and told her to pick one. If she like the looks of the F-Pace I would have begrudgingly went out procured one for her. Fortunately she picked the Acura and it was super easy for me to make that happen.

But to be honest, I wished she’d picked the Lexus NX. When I went and looked at it, it just seemed better built. All Japan construction is probably why. The Acura is literally one of the most American made vehicles built. And yeah it still a Honda so it’s very reliable, and more importantly…safe. But that Lexus would have been a totally fine pick.

Kind of irrelevant since she hardly drives (probably shouldn’t anyways) these days.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:54 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

I did look at the Lexus RX 350 F Sport but really can't get past the outside styling. Looks like a modern day mom vehicle that you take the kids to soccer practice. Definitely not sporty to me at all and the predator front end analogy is spot on. I also looked at the Acura RDX A-spec and it wasn't bad but at the end of the day not sporty looking to me.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:16 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Thoughts? Hate that it's a 2018. Wanted a 2020+
https://www.harrisonautos.com/detail...mw-x3/94975547

Benz?
https://www.harrisonautos.com/detail...z-glc/94963643

Old 08-05-2023, 05:05 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I did look at the Lexus RX 350 F Sport but really can't get past the outside styling. Looks like a modern day mom vehicle that you take the kids to soccer practice. Definitely not sporty to me at all and the predator front end analogy is spot on. I also looked at the Acura RDX A-spec and it wasn't bad but at the end of the day not sporty looking to me.
Well... That's because that's exactly what it is, lol. It's a luxurious reliable daily driver. Mom taking kids to soccer, dad going to the office, no pretense of sporting at all. Even the new one that has like 6 piston Brembos is like 320hp, lol. But let's be real, that's about as sporty as any of the base model competition except the Alfa probably. These aren't sports cars, yanno, they're soccer mom, or rich high school/college girl cars. They don't get sport until you start looking at the performance versions.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:29 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,896 Likes on 4,284 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

We just picked up a '22 BMW X3 M Competition last night for my wife. She first drove a X3 M40, and just wasn't excited about it. Then she drove the M Competition and it was game over for anything else.

This thing is amazing. 503 hp / 479 tq, excellent awd, M-tuned adaptive suspension, the seats are probably the best seats I've ever sat in, and this thing really moves. No doubt it would beat many a Corvette & host of other vehicles 0-60 & 1/4 mi.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:11 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

That's very sexy! Love the color!
Old 08-11-2023, 11:08 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My options:
1. Bmw x3 M40i
3. Porsche Macan S
4. Cadallic XT4 Sport
6. Jaguar F- Pace S
7. MB GLC 300 4 matic
glc 43 amg or x3 m40i gets my vote from your list.

Xt4 and Volvo are the "wtf why?" Options.

Im still happy with my ev6 GT. No sense wasting money on gasoline for a daily, imo. Saves me half a grand a month, outperforms anything on the list.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:14 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

It should be. Drove a Stelvio and RDX back to back. Bought an RDX afterward. SHAWD is amazing.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:01 AM
03 A/E Coupe
Team Owner

Received 196 Likes on 118 Posts

. . . And Even NEW in specific colors and trim levels . . . Availability is Scarce . . . both Used and New

Dang Near Pulled the Trigger on a New One

7. MB GLC 300 4 matic - 2 months into ownership of '17 C300 Coupe ( yeah, I know different Animal, but still many - many Similarities )

All I gotta say is MB has won me over, and I'm Seriously Considering Upgrading what My current Sport CUV to a MB GLC 300

Option 8. 2016 to 2017 INFINITI QX50 3.7 VQVHR V6 325 HP AWD ~ Essentially a 370 Z Shooting Brake with 4 Doors and a Hatch . .

This what I'm willing to swap for a MB GLC 300

​​​​

Old 08-12-2023, 09:48 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Originally Posted by BSSN
It should be. Drove a Stelvio and RDX back to back. Bought an RDX afterward. SHAWD is amazing.
It is one of the best torque vectoring systems in the business. Though you’d be surprised how many people don’t know how to make it work. But yes it does require a bit of readjusting how you’d normally handle a high speed turn. Most cars if you just let off the throttle a bit or even trail brake you’ll get more rotation and tighten your line. Do that in a torque vectoring AWD vehicle and you lose all the benefit of that magic rear differential.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:14 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 03 A/E Coupe

. . . And Even NEW in specific colors and trim levels . . . Availability is Scarce . . . both Used and New

Dang Near Pulled the Trigger on a New One

7. MB GLC 300 4 matic - 2 months into ownership of '17 C300 Coupe ( yeah, I know different Animal, but still many - many Similarities )

All I gotta say is MB has won me over, and I'm Seriously Considering Upgrading what My current Sport CUV to a MB GLC 300

Option 8. 2016 to 2017 INFINITI QX50 3.7 VQVHR V6 325 HP AWD ~ Essentially a 370 Z Shooting Brake with 4 Doors and a Hatch . .

This what I'm willing to swap for a MB GLC 300

​​​​
I looked into those, too. Make sure you keep on top of the rear diff bushing. They die. Also, make sure to run only premium. If you don't, slight detonation will destroy the ceramic in the cats, and the vslve events are such that this VQ engine will ingest that and die badly.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:15 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

It is one of the best torque vectoring systems in the business. Though you’d be surprised how many people don’t know how to make it work. But yes it does require a bit of readjusting how you’d normally handle a high speed turn. Most cars if you just let off the throttle a bit or even trail brake you’ll get more rotation and tighten your line. Do that in a torque vectoring AWD vehicle and you lose all the benefit of that magic rear differential.
Exactly. Its one Of the few fwd based platforms in a CUV that loves throttle on. Especially being a bit snout heavy. That outer wheel just pushes you through. I loved that about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me with a SAV

Old 08-12-2023, 11:48 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JABCAT
We just picked up a '22 BMW X3 M Competition last night for my wife. She first drove a X3 M40, and just wasn't excited about it. Then she drove the M Competition and it was game over for anything else.

This thing is amazing. 503 hp / 479 tq, excellent awd, M-tuned adaptive suspension, the seats are probably the best seats I've ever sat in, and this thing really moves. No doubt it would beat many a Corvette & host of other vehicles 0-60 & 1/4 mi.

Love those cars. They're pretty quick. It's the gas that eats me alive thinking about it though. Add another $800/mo to the budget. But yes, the acceleration is excellent for a gasser and the handling is very good for its high CoG. The "from a stop" acceleration data is literally a dead ringer for my EV6 GT all the way up to 130mph, which is where I stopped my testing, lol.

Last edited by BSSN; 08-12-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:41 AM
03 A/E Coupe
Team Owner

Received 196 Likes on 118 Posts

Nothing but Premium 93 has been in my 2016 QX50. Malbec Black is color ~ a subtle plum metallic to it in the sun.

It has only 39,700 miles - has everything except for the Technology Pkg, Fresh Tires, and only ever needed rear brake pads a bit ago.

Totally Solid and Reliable Performer ~ a real performance sleeper ~ Bunch of get up go if needed ~ avg 19.9 MPG on Mixed City / Hwy Driving

It is kind of the odd man out in the Family Fleet and is going to sold outright most likely ( High Teen$ is what Carvana and others are spewing on internet value$ )

Old 08-13-2023, 11:01 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 03 A/E Coupe
Nothing but Premium 93 has been in my 2016 QX50. Malbec Black is color ~ a subtle plum metallic to it in the sun.

It has only 39,700 miles - has everything except for the Technology Pkg, Fresh Tires, and only ever needed rear brake pads a bit ago.

Totally Solid and Reliable Performer ~ a real performance sleeper ~ Bunch of get up go if needed ~ avg 19.9 MPG on Mixed City / Hwy Driving

It is kind of the odd man out in the Family Fleet and is going to sold outright most likely ( High Teen$ is what Carvana and others are spewing on internet value$ )
I had a 2012 370Z. Really like the VQ37 motor.

Quick Reply: Help me with a SAV