Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New best ET with the Plaid tonight..

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 12:43 PM
Sawbone
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdavid1
Sorry but isn't there Tesla forums. I know this is off topic and all but why come in and post all this crap about EV. I just don't get it. Dude doesn't even own a vet now...
Don't get me wrong I don't mind ev (be more inclined toward hybrid) and they fit a purpose...and anyone who knows much about anything knows electric motors have instant torque and can be impressive but it's apples to oranges comparing ev to corvettes imo. Sorry for this post I just couldn't help it.
The Noob is strong in this one.

Last edited by Sawbone; 06-18-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:47 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by Sawbone
The Noob is strong in this one.
That noob joined this year and already complains of a 20 year member's posts..
Old 06-18-2023, 02:33 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
Couldnt take the slurping.. and phoned home.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:08 PM
JWG
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

If everyone quit arguing with GSC3 his threads would last about six post and then dry up and go away. Please stop arguing and dragging out the thread out to no end. GSC3 loves to argue.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:57 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JWG
If everyone quit arguing with GSC3 his threads would last about six post and then dry up and go away. Please stop arguing and dragging out the thread out to no end. GSC3 loves to argue.

It's funny how there were no answers to this thread in like 8 hours or so and then you started preaching about my threads lasting longer than they should and with that, you brought the thread back to the top.
Can't make this shiit up
Old 06-19-2023, 02:16 AM
rougewave
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, so much hate for EVs here. I absolutely love the sound and raw power of a gas powered performance car but… EVs are a lot of fun. I’ve driven many. None close to as quick as the Plaid. That’s a whole different level! Try driving one to experience what it’s like before knocking it. We’ll be talking about the Corvette EV next year.
Old 06-19-2023, 02:47 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,007 Likes on 2,890 Posts

^^^^ no we WON'T....
Old 06-19-2023, 07:53 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rougewave
Damn, so much hate for EVs here. I absolutely love the sound and raw power of a gas powered performance car but… EVs are a lot of fun. I’ve driven many. None close to as quick as the Plaid. That’s a whole different level! Try driving one to experience what it’s like before knocking it. We’ll be talking about the Corvette EV next year.
I did.. with the intent to buy one.. and didnt like it.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:47 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
I did.. with the intent to buy one.. and didnt like it.
What did you drive?
Old 06-19-2023, 11:03 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
My Model X has a coefficient of drag of 0.24 and a C7 Vette has a 0.34.. Lower number means more aerodynamic.. Yes, it can handle over 200 mph easily.
How do you think that they made that vehicle so efficient?? Aerodynamics..
. The C7 has a frontal area of 2.02 square meters and a Cd of .30. That means it has a CdA of .606. Model X has a frontal area of 2.59 square meters and a Cd of .24. That means it has a CdA of .622. It takes more power to push a model X through the air than a C7.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:08 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ptindall
. The C7 has a frontal area of 2.02 square meters and a Cd of .30. That means it has a CdA of .606. Model X has a frontal area of 2.59 square meters and a Cd of .24. That means it has a CdA of .622. It takes more power to push a model X through the air than a C7.
Well...yeah? It's an SUV vs a tiny car. I've tried explaining this to people on here before. Glad someone gets it. Oh, drag is squared, as well.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:12 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

yes, but the Plaid has over twice the power.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:26 AM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Whew, there was a white Teslow abandoned dead on the side of the road southbound I75 on Saturday. Good to hear it wasn't yours, there was no trailer either, so that was the first clue.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:50 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

That’s impressive run in to the 9 s and the trap speed is amazing. I’m a diehard corvette enthusiast for over 25 years . Enjoying the corvette ownership with its lightweight powerful corvette, my current being the awesome c8.

that said I leased my better half an Audi Etron and even though it’s not as quick as the Tesla plaid I can clearly see the writing on the wall. I’ve had zero service and repairs on the Etron ev while my corvette which I love is so technically involved it has had service etc.

with ev s their power plant is small lightweight and simple.battery chemistry is constantly evolving. The current state of the best evs is amazing.

there is no transmission needed. There is no revving through the power and. Acceleration is instant. There a thousands of charging stations hidden in plain sight as opposed to large single purpose gas stations. Just open an app and the locations of charging stations is for all to see.

99.9 percent of the time the current 250 mile range negates even the need for the use of a charging station now at most shopping centers , malls or Walmarts or car dealers or train stations.

the fear of range anxiety is unwarranted. We are in the early stages so for two car households I’d recommend first one of each for two drivers.

after more than two years I’m now convinced evs for both vehicles is acceptable too.

at least one possibly both vehicles being all electric is a smart play.

my Audi makes a jet turbine sound as it accelerates. If it was in a sports car I’d recommend just turning up the volume as it currently is for driver excitement at the very least in a sport mode.

that current sound cracks me up. The instant power off the line or in highway acceleration is immense and impressive.

just so you know I’m not a greenie. I don’t believe in the threat of climate change and yet just as an enthusiast Im a huge proponent of the spread of electric sports cars .

I have a z06 on a two reservation so I’m still buying all the glory involved with ICE power plants yet the day an all electric corvette is offered I’ll take delivery if I’m still on this earth.

it’s the performance and maintenance and repair attributes of all electric vehicles that attract me most.

saving the environment is bull sh-t in my opinion.

I do hope our government forces exploration and mining of the so called rare earth metals in America and our Allie’s. I will refuse to buy a corvette with its batteries coming from the CCP that has been so outspoken about destroying America.

that’s where I draw the line unless china stops it’s war mongering rhetoric to change the world order of freedom and the American way.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:46 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerriVette
That’s impressive run in to the 9 s and the trap speed is amazing. I’m a diehard corvette enthusiast for over 25 years . Enjoying the corvette ownership with its lightweight powerful corvette, my current being the awesome c8.

that said I leased my better half an Audi Etron and even though it’s not as quick as the Tesla plaid I can clearly see the writing on the wall. I’ve had zero service and repairs on the Etron ev while my corvette which I love is so technically involved it has had service etc.

with ev s their power plant is small lightweight and simple.battery chemistry is constantly evolving. The current state of the best evs is amazing.

there is no transmission needed. There is no revving through the power and. Acceleration is instant. There a thousands of charging stations hidden in plain sight as opposed to large single purpose gas stations. Just open an app and the locations of charging stations is for all to see.

99.9 percent of the time the current 250 mile range negates even the need for the use of a charging station now at most shopping centers , malls or Walmarts or car dealers or train stations.

the fear of range anxiety is unwarranted. We are in the early stages so for two car households I’d recommend first one of each for two drivers.

after more than two years I’m now convinced evs for both vehicles is acceptable too.

my Audi makes a jet turbine sound as it accelerates. If it was in a sports car I’d recommend just turning up the volume as it currently is for driver excitement at the very least in a sport mode.

that current sound cracks me up. The instant power off the line or in highway acceleration is immense and impressive.

just so you know I’m not a greenie. I don’t believe in the threat of climate change and yet just as an enthusiast Im a huge proponent of the spread of electric sports cars .

I have a z06 on a two reservation so I’m still buying all the glory involved with ICE power plants yet the day an all electric corvette is offered I’ll take delivery if I’m still on this earth.

it’s the performance and maintenance and repair attributes of all electric vehicles that attract me most.

I do hope our government forces exploration and mining of the so called rare earth metals in America and our Allie’s. I will refuse to buy a corvette with its batteries coming from the CCP that has been so outspoken about destroying America.

that’s where I draw the line unless china stops it’s war mongering rhetoric to change the world order of freedom and the American way.
What I like particulary about the Plaid is the 150k warranty on motors and battery. The motors include the gears etc. as there is no transmission. Peace of mind. Even if I do 1000 drag strip passes, I'll still have a warranty on the expensive components.
My trap speed was actually slow due to head wind I usually trap 142 to 144 mph.. Most of my runs were 9.80's except 2 runs in the 10.0 range as I had water on the tires and spun. With traction, 9.82 to 9.87..
Old 06-19-2023, 01:11 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

yes
Then you posted either ignorant or intentionally misleading information. I expect approximately zero people are suprised by that at this point.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:11 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerriVette

Interesting that the audi sound is fake? I turned the fake sound off in my GT, but still hear the 20K motor spool up and the inverter whine. Sounds like a turbine.

Get notified of new replies

To New best ET with the Plaid tonight..

Old 06-19-2023, 01:25 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Then you posted either ignorant or intentionally misleading information. I expect approximately zero people are suprised by that at this point.
There is nothing misleading. It's almost a certainty that the Model X Plaid would be able to do 200 mph without the limiter. It only takes 13 seconds or so to 163 mph and EVs have 100% power at any speed. There is no torque curve where max power is only available between x and y rpm. EVs have the full power at any time.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:57 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

because of efficiency and regeneration. A gas car wastes energy when decelerating and idling. A battery EV uses up to 80% less energy regardless of where the energy comes from.
My 1020 hp SUV averages the equivalent energy of a 123 mpg vehicle. A 1000+ HP gas SUV would get 10 mpg AT BEST. Furthermore, EV's just perform better than gas cars. This means I can go over 12 times farther on the same energy as an equivalent gas vehicle!!! No torque curve.. There are lot of reasons for EV's. I don't consider the environment as one of the criteria that matters. There are too many other reasons for EV's. It's just the better technology. Another advantage is that many people with their own house could produce their own fuel for their cars with solar panels in case utility prices skyrocket. Can't make your own gas in sufficient volume to operate your gas car independent of gas prices. So, you are 100% at the mercy of gas prices.
Also, virtually no scheduled maintenance.
That's awesome, too bad that batteries are about 100 times less energy efficient than gasoline!

"Gasoline has about 100 times the energy density of a lithium-ion battery. Gasoline has an energy density of about 12.5 kWh per kg, while current batteries run about 0.7 kWh per kg."
Old 06-22-2023, 10:03 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5 Pewter Coupe
That's awesome, too bad that batteries are about 100 times less energy efficient than gasoline!

"Gasoline has about 100 times the energy density of a lithium-ion battery. Gasoline has an energy density of about 12.5 kWh per kg, while current batteries run about 0.7 kWh per kg."
Sure. My 100 kwh battery is only the equivalent of 2.5 gallons of gas, yet, I averge 350 miles per charge.

Quick Reply: New best ET with the Plaid tonight..