Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Bmw x3m

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 06:45 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Bmw x3m

Getting a little bored with my truck and after this past weekend getaway I've been thinking of trading it in. A few spots where we traveled to where tight and a pain to navigate. Truck is a pavement princess and the most I use it is for trips from PA to OBX. My big hang up is interest rates being up now. Anyhoo, I stopped while on the lil trip and this 2021 BMW X3 M caught my eye. Now this one was priced at 59K and out of my price range but I've found others in the mid 40s with mileage I'm ok with. My question is if I get a 2020 how is maintence costs if I'm outside the bumper to bumper. When I got my truck I purchased a extended warranty outside the dealership from another dealer even though truck was used. So is that an option with BMW to buy a extended warranty? The more I keep looking at them I'm falling for the styling and I hear they are rockets.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:47 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Here is link to one I looked at. Love the looks but need to get into the 40K range. Looks like 2020 they change to a digital cluster so I would want that.
https://www.joelconferbmw.com/used/B...ffc1bc7eda.htm
Old 03-09-2023, 09:22 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

The X3M is an amazing machine but not an incredible daily mostly due to the ride quality. I had this same debate with myself when I traded my Ram and ended up with the X3 M40i instead of the full M. With a simple stage 1 tune, I'm at X3M level performance without the trade off in ride quality and my fuel economy is significantly better than the full M. There are many in your price range. It's the best daily I've ever had by a mile. Every time I drive it I'm surprised just how fast it is. Next step is a downpipe and stage II

Last edited by BluegrassMotorsport; 03-09-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:55 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BluegrassMotorsport
The X3M is an amazing machine but not an incredible daily mostly due to the ride quality. I had this same debate with myself when I traded my Ram and ended up with the X3 M40i instead of the full M. With a simple stage 1 tune, I'm at X3M level performance without the trade off in ride quality and my fuel economy is significantly better than the full M. There are many in your price range. It's the best daily I've ever had by a mile. Every time I drive it I'm surprised just how fast it is. Next step is a downpipe and stage II

I guess I need to research more about the M. I thought the M40i was top of the line for the X3 then there was just different trim levels? They had a few X3's there non M40i and my undertanding is they just have 2.0 4 cyl. which seems like they would be slow and under powered. This wouldn't be a daily driver for me. Just a weekend, vacation, sunny day vehicle like the truck is now. Love that blue! Are those wheels factory? Look bronze in color. I would like white ext. and black interior or that carmel color interior.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:21 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Snakecharmer383
I guess I need to research more about the M. I thought the M40i was top of the line for the X3 then there was just different trim levels? They had a few X3's there non M40i and my undertanding is they just have 2.0 4 cyl. which seems like they would be slow and under powered. This wouldn't be a daily driver for me. Just a weekend, vacation, sunny day vehicle like the truck is now. Love that blue! Are those wheels factory? Look bronze in color. I would like white ext. and black interior or that carmel color interior.
The wheels are aftermarket from Aodhan. I love the bronze, too.

The M40i sits below the X3M in the lineup. Think of it as M-lite. It has the B58 motor - same as the new Toyota Supra - paired with the ZF8 transmission. It's extremely robust and pulls like a freight train. It has bigger brakes and a sportier suspension than the 4 cylinder although not quite as hardcore as the X3M. I would definitely test drive one and see what you think. Even as a fun car and not a dedicated daily driver, I think it's a great choice because the cost of entry is much lower than the X3M and the available tunes are very effective.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:42 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,477 Likes on 2,816 Posts

That's a big change from f150 to small SUV. Unless you just bought the truck to say you had a truck, it's worth noting the x3 can do none of the things the truck could. Seat 5 comfortably? Nope. Carry large items? No way. Tow anything much heavier than an unloaded utility trailer? Forget it.

The x3m gets a lot of praise for being fast, sounding good, handling well, etc. Ride comfort doesn't get praise, but most reviewers are little sissies that complain about ride in everything. That said, it's a complicated and expensive ride. If you're trying to spend only 40k on one.... That sounds like financial ruin.

Look at explorer ST. It's like the x3 but bigger, more practical, cheaper, and more reliable. Or do the smart thing and tune and lower the f150.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:00 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Ok I see snow you were never looking at the real M, just the M40i. Nice cars, but they're another one of those "slap the performance badge on it and charge more" deals. They basically include the sport pack now and call it an M40i vs being. 35i with sport pack, and charge more. Benz is doing this with AMG as well, to boost profits. Nothing against the cars, just a lame tactic.

They're quick... But not as quick as you expect. Their 0-60 is impressive, but they get that by beating the absolute dog **** out of them, building boost and launching at high rpm. 5 to 60 times are slower than 0 to 60 by half a second because they can't beat on them. Still quick, but not insane. And I wouldn't even consider one if the thought of a tune crosses your mind, then when things break, and they will, you're out of pocket at BMW prices.

In any case, I personally wouldn't buy anything right now with interest rates being so high. If I bought something, it's need to be a cash buy. I'm not paying for the mistakes of our leaders.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:06 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Nice cars, but they're another one of those "slap the performance badge on it and charge more" deals. They basically include the sport pack now and call it an M40i vs being. 35i with sport pack, and charge more. Benz is doing this with AMG as well, to boost profits. Nothing against the cars, just a lame tactic.

They're quick... But not as quick as you expect. Their 0-60 is impressive, but they get that by beating the absolute dog **** out of them, building boost and launching at high rpm. 5 to 60 times are slower than 0 to 60 by half a second because they can't beat on them. Still quick, but not insane. And I wouldn't even consider one if the thought of a tune crosses your mind, then when things break, and they will, you're out of pocket at BMW prices.
Literally none of this is true. BMW reliability, especially with the B58 motor, has come a long way. There are numerous B58 guys with 150-200k miles running high boost and never a single problem. It's a robust powertrain with proven reliability, so much so that Toyota chose that motor for their Supra. It's much, much more than a "slapped on performance badge." Read or watch literally any review of the M40i and see what they say about the power and suspension.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:35 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Literally none of this is true. BMW reliability, especially with the B58 motor, has come a long way. There are numerous B58 guys with 150-200k miles running high boost and never a single problem. It's a robust powertrain with proven reliability, so much so that Toyota chose that motor for their Supra. It's much, much more than a "slapped on performance badge." Read or watch literally any review of the M40i and see what they say about the power and suspension.
I have..It's basically what an old ZHP. type package would have been, but now they call it M Sport because profits. And it's not the B58 or the ZF 8 speed that would worry me. It's all the electronics, sensors, bushings, and consumables that'd worry me. Tuning has come a long way since people first plugged a Cobb into a 335i and said "ALL THE BOOST". It's all the other stuff that would worry me. If a module or sensor goes out and it's not under warranty, that's going to be thousands of dollars to get figured out and fixed.

Personally, the x3 is just a little too small for me. I'm sure they're great cars, a lot of people say the x3m is better than the x5m, it's just a little too small for me, and I'm very leery of anything German outside of warranty.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:04 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

All the info. is noted. I don't use my truck like a truck. I rarely haul anything (clean) and if it's dirty I get it delivered. Other then space for when we go to OBX in summer I won't be short on anything getting rid of it. I went from the factory 18's to these 20's for looks and mpg went down. Last year I got 22 roundtrip in about 1200 miles. I do like the truck compared to others I see but parking can be a pain in tight spots, no LED headlights both me now and I'm not trying to change the housing, etc. If I do keep it mainly due to interest rates I may explore getting a trailer to haul the 89. Getting older I'd rather have the luxuries (leather, led lights, heated steering wheel, etc.)
Old 03-10-2023, 06:38 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

B58 is an excellent engine, and the ZF8 an excellent slushbox. VANOS is a constant fear, and isn't cheap. The main issue is that a VANOS failure is slow and insidious rather than "Well, CEL is either one or not, huh?" Overall, if you have high quality roads, I've heard quite a bit of good about them.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:32 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

All the info. is noted. I don't use my truck like a truck. I rarely haul anything (clean) and if it's dirty I get it delivered. Other then space for when we go to OBX in summer I won't be short on anything getting rid of it. I went from the factory 18's to these 20's for looks and mpg went down. Last year I got 22 roundtrip in about 1200 miles. I do like the truck compared to others I see but parking can be a pain in tight spots, no LED headlights both me now and I'm not trying to change the housing, etc. If I do keep it mainly due to interest rates I may explore getting a trailer to haul the 89. Getting older I'd rather have the luxuries (leather, led lights, heated steering wheel, etc.)
Sounds like you're the right buyer for an SUV. You should look into SRT Jeeps and Durangos as well. A bit more space, more.towing, similar performance, less money, worse on gas. It's a bad time to buy anything that needs financing right now, prices are still high and interest rates are brutal.

Think of it this way, a set of morimoto headlights and a lowering kit is about what you'd spend on just finance charges if you traded.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:26 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

I love my BMW but I will second the suggestion to look at the Jeep SRT. Little more room inside and still plenty fast. You'll lose some handling in the corners but gain sweet, sweet V8 noises.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:10 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

I will take a peak at the Jeep SRT but never been a fan of the brand. I was on a Cadillac XT4 kick till I drove one and it was pretty small. It was peppy for a 4 banger and I really do like the styling. Then I stopped and looked at that damn X3 at the link I posted and it changed me.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:11 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Then I stopped and looked at that damn X3 at the link I posted and it changed me.
I'm telling you man. Find an M40i somewhere and go for a drive in Sport+. No SUV should handle that well.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:24 PM
C64ME
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife’s daily is an X3M Competition. It is a brilliant vehicle, but you must accept it for what it is. The ride is a bit harsh but improved quite a bit when we put the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons on it.

It is brutally quick. Beyond the physics of the ride height, it did everything better than my F80 M3, which led me to trade my M3 in on a Porsche 911 Turbo S (991.1).

My wife and I both prefer a sporty vehicle and understand the compromise in ride quality for sportiness. However, we’ve done 12 hour road trips in the X3M without issue.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:30 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C64ME
The ride is a bit harsh but improved quite a bit when we put the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons on it.
BMW's choice in factory tire is criminal. Mine came with the OEM Pirelli P-Zero run flats and I've never been so happy to get rid of a tire. They were hopelessly loud and uncomfortable. I went with the Continental DWS06 and it's like a whole new vehicle. And despite being an all-season tire, they still handle better than the tragic P-Zero summer tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Bmw x3m

Old 03-10-2023, 11:05 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

BMW's choice in factory tire is criminal. Mine came with the OEM Pirelli P-Zero run flats and I've never been so happy to get rid of a tire. They were hopelessly loud and uncomfortable. I went with the Continental DWS06 and it's like a whole new vehicle. And despite being an all-season tire, they still handle better than the tragic P-Zero summer tires.
That's weird. I put pirellis of some.aort (their names are all just a random collection of words so who knows which ones they are) on my TBSS and have been really happy with them. Lots of grip, quiet, and comfortable.

I suspect that OEM tires are almost always cheaper crappy versions of a tire.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:55 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I am a big fan of the new X3M and it's on my short list for a new daily driver, as I am tired of 10 years of driving Tahoes and GM trucks. Have 2017 340 M-Sport (wife's daily beater, WAY faster than it should be on paper), and 2021 M2C (one of my summer toys). Both cars have been virtually flawless. Only issue I ever had was wind noise due to a bad pass front door seal on the 2017, easily rectified under warranty.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:09 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

That M2C is stunning. Very nice!