Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

EV Performance Question (Battery %)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 02:01 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Default EV Performance Question (Battery %)

I often read/hear about what an EV is capable of (0-60, 1/4mile, etc.,) with the disclaimer "at full battery" or some similar derivative. How much does the battery's charge percentage really affect its performance? For instance, whether an ICE vehicle has a full tank of gas or a 1/8 tank of gas, other than the weight savings, most of its performance will remain relatively unchanged. How big is the difference in performance between an EV with say 100% charge and 25% charge?
Old 02-14-2023, 02:21 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

My ex girlfriend had a Model 3 dual motor. The thing was a blast to drive! It was supposed to have a range of something like 350 miles but we were lucky to get 250 miles out of it. We both had a tendency to mash the throttle pedal every chance we got which decreases the range.

To answer your question though, it seemed to have equal performance not matter how much charge was left although never did any actual timed tests.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:45 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

The bigger thing with the less well engineered EVs like a Tesla is the back to back performance. If you stomp on it multiple times in a row, the batteries get too hot and performance drops drastically. Stuff like the Taycan has a lot of engineering into making them consistent in performance.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:37 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

That is the kind of info I am looking for. Someone who maybe did some type of controlled/timed testing at different battery levels.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:08 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5knives
I often read/hear about what an EV is capable of (0-60, 1/4mile, etc.,) with the disclaimer "at full battery" or some similar derivative. How much does the battery's charge percentage really affect its performance? For instance, whether an ICE vehicle has a full tank of gas or a 1/8 tank of gas, other than the weight savings, most of its performance will remain relatively unchanged. How big is the difference in performance between an EV with say 100% charge and 25% charge?
I have not tested it personally, but one online reviewer did, and found that at 70%+ the EV6 GT like one I drive will do 0-60 in 3.2-3.4 seconds. At 50%, this drops to about 3.5 to 3.6 seconds, and by 25% SoC, it's about 3.9 seconds.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:10 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
My ex girlfriend had a Model 3 dual motor. The thing was a blast to drive! It was supposed to have a range of something like 350 miles but we were lucky to get 250 miles out of it. We both had a tendency to mash the throttle pedal every chance we got which decreases the range.

To answer your question though, it seemed to have equal performance not matter how much charge was left although never did any actual timed tests.
People can't really tell how fast cars are by seat of the pants. You need a clock for that. I remember back in the day I told people Mazda tuned the CX5 turbo to pull all boost in 1st and 2nd in cold weather, resulting in 0-60 times of about 10 seconds instead of the usual 6 seconds. Everyone argued except those who put it on a clock and said "WOW! He's right!". Mazda later came out with a TSB for it. That taught me just how inadequate people's perceptions were at gauging things like acceleration.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:23 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BSSN
I have not tested it personally, but one online reviewer did, and found that at 70%+ the EV6 GT like one I drive will do 0-60 in 3.2-3.4 seconds. At 50%, this drops to about 3.5 to 3.6 seconds, and by 25% SoC, it's about 3.9 seconds.
Thank you. How are you liking the EV6? It definitely caught my attention.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:36 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Thank you. How are you liking the EV6? It definitely caught my attention.
absolutely loving it. Everything about it is a home run.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:28 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Decided to test this myself. First run is at 85% with the battery optimally conditioned. Second run (different day) is at 34% with the only "conditioning" the battery saw, being about a 45 minute drive.

So, about a half second and 6mph trap speed drop at the end of the quarter, and a 0.2 second longer 0-60 difference from the near top to the near bottom of the sensible charge range.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:20 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Thanks for doing some testing. So from a racing standpoint, it would be wise to keep the SoC high. I wonder if the power loss is linear. For example; a loss of .1et/1mph per 10% SoC drop. Yours pretty much worked out that way, but that could also just be coincidence.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:09 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Thanks for doing some testing. So from a racing standpoint, it would be wise to keep the SoC high. I wonder if the power loss is linear. For example; a loss of .1et/1mph per 10% SoC drop. Yours pretty much worked out that way, but that could also just be coincidence.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...r-than-ev6-gt/

Get notified of new replies

To EV Performance Question (Battery %)

Quick Reply: EV Performance Question (Battery %)