Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsche 991 Turbo S vs Vette???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 07:35 PM
SSWIM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Porsche 991 Turbo S vs Vette???

Curious if any members have owned a 991 TTS or do own one and what their critique happens to be regarding the comparison of the two cars. I have always really been drawn to the TTS 911s and the newer variations are really appealing. Am going to test one this weekend and any info would be appreciated. I have been on the 6Speed forums and not a lot of info regarding any comparisons. The internet has garnered some info but info from members here is usually pretty solid.

Thanks
Sam
Old 08-24-2022, 07:48 PM
SoCal C8
Burning Brakes

Received 1,281 Likes on 537 Posts

You’re comparing the wrong configurations. A Turbo or Turbo S is better evaluated with the Z06. My GTS is a better comparison to the Stingray.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:48 PM
JQUICK
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 50 Posts

How big is your pocketbook? If you can afford the P car… go for it. Most can’t and won’t.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:53 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

If it's speed and quickness you're looking for then the 911 TTS will destroy the Stingray in 0-top speed! It's a monster!
Old 08-24-2022, 08:13 PM
Driv200
Racer

Received 494 Likes on 161 Posts

Porsche fan here. Had several and I seem to have a circle of friends with fast cars. Most recently took a 992 TTS to 191mph. I’m very biased as the 992 Turbo S is the ultimate weapon and GT car ever made in my opinion. Just bought my 2022 C8 Z51 b/c I couldn’t believe what $100,000 can do these days. C8 impressed me.

To compare is not fair since NA vs Turbo. Gone are they days of turbo lag. The balance, feel, and quality at those speeds is not comparable. Everything was exact and calm. Effortless. Same spot in C8 at 158mph with top off was pretty dang awesome, but not the same level of awesome. But still impressive. I almost think if you haven’t driven a TTS, you really can’t explain it in words. You just have to do it.

The C8 gets so many things right. Corvettes best product by far. (Had 2 prior) And I love it for that. One guy asked if the TTS was an extra $180k worth of fun. And probably not. But same can be asked by the Miata guy to the C8 driver. It’s what you want to experience. I’m a firm believer Porsche gets the nod on the whole formula of braking, accelerating, turning, etc. Porsche doesn’t run out of money on the small stuff that makes a difference. Every part is top notch. I’m money limited, so for me, the C8 is in the garage. I also have a lot of time in GT3 RS and just replaced my 718 GT4. Those are probably a better comparison. They are all amazing. Hope that helped. I threw in some extra pics since you got me scrolling through my photos. Ha!

Old 08-24-2022, 08:14 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

My neighbor has a Turbo S. I've taken him for a ride in mine, I've ridden in his. Over all I like the C8 better. Looks, interior design, stump pulling low end. But the Turbo has way more top end power, and will pull noticeably harder at higher speeds. And from driving other Porsches, I'm not sure anyone has driver feedback down better than Porsche. Feedback in the brake pedal and steering wheel in Porsche is way better than in the C8 (can't compare the TTS directly, since I haven't driven it, but it's true of every other Porsche I've driven.

He was really impressed with the C8, tough. Said he was "flabbergasted" (he's British). But we both agree on the power characteristics and driver feedback. While he won't come right out and say it, I think he likes the interior of the C8 better, too.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 254 Posts

I see so many Porsche's on the road I don't know the difference.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:34 PM
DaveDMW
Pro

Received 709 Likes on 272 Posts

Great informed and unbiased reviews thus far in the thread. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2022, 10:18 PM
SSWIM
Racer

Yes great info. I really like my C8 and have absolutely no complaints. It is amazing. I just have the opportunity to trade up to a 991.2. I have driven 997 turbos but not the 991.2TTS. I realize it’s not really an apples to apples comparison between the C8 and Porsche but the C8 really is a amazing car. Keep the info coming.

Thanks
Sam
Old 08-24-2022, 10:41 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"Driv200" are those pics you took in TX? Sure looks like country I've seen there (and there's a lot of it! )
Old 08-25-2022, 01:06 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

Far too many subjective variables are involved. Drive them yourself and see what YOU think.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:26 AM
Driv200
Racer

Received 494 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
"Driv200" are those pics you took in TX? Sure looks like country I've seen there (and there's a lot of it! )
Darn close to Texas. About as close as you can get and not be in Texas. 😂
Old 08-25-2022, 08:14 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by 5632
I see so many Porsche's on the road I don't know the difference.
I agree. They all have that same look they have had forever. A guy at my golf club has an old one from the sixties that is really ugly and after all these years they are still pretty ugly. Thier interiors are very boring and understated. You don't feel like you are sitting in a high-quality expensive sports car.
I know they are a well-built quality car, and the performance is exceptional, but I just can't get past the look.
I want a car that when I walk away I can't resist looking back at it and I look forward to seeing it again when I return. The Porsche just doesn't do that for me.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:50 AM
SSWIM
Racer

Originally Posted by JDSC8VETTE
I agree. They all have that same look they have had forever. A guy at my golf club has an old one from the sixties that is really ugly and after all these years they are still pretty ugly. Thier interiors are very boring and understated. You don't feel like you are sitting in a high-quality expensive sports car.
I know they are a well-built quality car, and the performance is exceptional, but I just can't get past the look.
I want a car that when I walk away I can't resist looking back at it and I look forward to seeing it again when I return. The Porsche just doesn't do that for me.
Looks are very subjective. Sure the C8 has killer looks. But most savvy performance car people know the TurboS. Plus I feel the Porsche has incredible attributes. Boring, in my opinion anyway isn’t one of them. Sit in one. It is a pretty nice automobile. Probably on another level, again IMO. Up close and in person one sees the pedigree.
I appreciate the feedback. That’s why we have discussions.

Sam
Old 08-25-2022, 09:43 AM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a 997 Carrera S 911 for a couple years, but got rid of it because I was unhappy with the lack of Torque and Horsepower (it had 355 Hp and 280 Torque). Absent that, it was an awesome car with the best steering I have ever felt. I went from that to a C6 Z06 and absolutely had more fun with the Z06.
That Said…
If I won the lottery or has some other massive windfall, I would be buying 992 Turbo S. It is the only car besides the Corvette that you can drive every day like a Toyota and annihilate almost any other car.
In this exceedingly unlikely scenario, I probably would also get a Zora when that comes out…
Old 08-25-2022, 10:49 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

As someone already said, it's an apples to oranges comparison. The 911 Turbo S will destroy just about everything on the planet from a dead stop (Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, etc). The Tesla Model S Plaid is probably the only thing that can take it in a straight line race. Now when you get to things such as looks, interior design, exhaust note, etc. I prefer the C8. The 911 looks just like...well, another 911 while the C8 has a truly unique new design that's much more exotic IMO. If I had endless funds there's no doubt I'd have a Turbo S in my garage for when I needed to go drive something that would be like a pure adrenaline shot!
Old 08-25-2022, 06:01 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 379 Posts

I love Porsches, especially Turbos and GT3s. It's not like you can go wrong with one, all of them are great drivers cars. I think it all comes down to personal preferences. Porsches cost more, especially for equivalent performance. To compare at equal pricing, you are shopping a brand new C8 to a used Porsche of some kind. And while I will agree that Porsches are pretty reliable, when something does break they also tend to cost more to fix. For me, the looks and style are important. I love the look of a mid-engine car, specifically that exotic wedge look. The C8 nails it, and its a universally appealing car. Everyone stares, everyone compliments it. For a Porsche, sure, the hardcore car ppl know what you are driving, and know the difference between a base Boxster and a 911 Turbo S, but no one else does. Everyone knows you drive a Porsche, but many cant tell the difference between a 2007 and a 2017. I also feel like there is a certain stereotype to Porsche drivers, but there is just as much of a stereotype to Corvette drivers, so I guess its a wash there!

I think the biggest effect on the Porsche vs Corvette decision is really what your friends are into. If your crowd all drives Porsches or BMWs, they generally look down on Corvettes, even the C8. It just doesn't have the same snob appeal as the German cars. I see that a lot with ppl I work with, and people who live around me. I just don't care about that. For me it's more of a reverse snobbism I guess!

But really, Porsches are great, so are Corvettes. You can't go wrong. If you ever wanted to make the trade, this is the time to do it, while the C8 is so overvalued.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche 991 Turbo S vs Vette???

Old 08-25-2022, 06:06 PM
DaveDMW
Pro

Received 709 Likes on 272 Posts

I love Porsches and some models of Mercedes but in the end, I always wanted a Corvette since I was a kid. It’s hard to argue with emotional appeal.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:43 PM
Demented
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been a vette guy most of my life but ~6 years ago I bought a 2013 997.2 Turbo S and I drove it until last month when I auctioned it and bought a C8 Z51 HTC. The Turbo S obviously does everything a little better but the current cost of a new Turbo S is insane. I sold my ~9 year old Turbo S with 49k miles for the exact same price I bought it for. It paid for a 23 C8 Z51 HTC outright. The C8 suspension is noticeably softer and easier to live with on **** roads. If money isn't an option, I'd take a new turbo but I don't regret trading in my old one for a new C8 at all.

Just as a P.S. plug for Porsche. The hand made 911 Turbo's have fantastic quality control. 9 1/2 years and I only had to replace a single window regulator because the auto roll down stopped working.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:20 PM
raleona
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWIM
Curious if any members have owned a 991 TTS or do own one and what their critique happens to be regarding the comparison of the two cars. I have always really been drawn to the TTS 911s and the newer variations are really appealing. Am going to test one this weekend and any info would be appreciated. I have been on the 6Speed forums and not a lot of info regarding any comparisons. The internet has garnered some info but info from members here is usually pretty solid.

Thanks
Sam
You might get more feedback by posting in the other car section. A number of guys in that section own multiple brand cars. For additional feedback post in the Porsche reenlist forum.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 Turbo S vs Vette???