Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2011 to 2014 GT500 owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 05:41 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Default 2011 to 2014 GT500 owners

Anyone have one of these years? I'm not looking to debate the performance difference as I don't really care even though 100+ more HP is always welcomed. lol

​​​​​Debating on grabbing one as a DD if I can find one for a good price. Love my truck but looking to get back into a car. I debated on a 16+ ZL1 as well. Not a fan of the 5th gen's other than the Z28.

There are just not. A lot of newer 4 seater manual transmission cars out there. I debated on a new ZL1 or even a base GT500 (even though it's not a manual) and even a Hellcat but I don't really want to spend that much at this time.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:27 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Gt500s are nice, but pricey. One thing I will say, that gen mustang was kind of basic, for a fairly expensive car. They can also be a riot. I am constantly debating on getting a boss 302, that's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven, but it has no chill and I wouldn't say it makes a great dd because it's a psychopath of a car due to the short gearing and 4.10s. Total riot though.

If it's gonna be a daily driver.... 392 all day every day. Charger or challenger. The extra size and weight pays dividends in livability, with nothing really lost on the street. Maybe a Daytona or TA model if you want a sportier suspension.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:00 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 397 Likes on 301 Posts

We have a 14 Mustang GT vert 5.0 6 speed. Bought it 4 years ago used with 18000 miles. Never seen a winter. I know its not a GT 500 but its been a great fun car. Easy to drive. Can't beat it with the top down on a warm day. If I had to commute I would get an auto. The stock 6 speed shifter is horrible. Soon to be retrofitted with a Barton shifter. Brakes are great. We have the Brembo upgrade with 19" wheels.
Back seats are for little people. Front seats are very nice.
Exhaust is a bit too quiet so I just got a set of used GT 500 mufflers off CL. Should have a bit more bark.
Thought about cams, headers or maybe a super charger but it drives so nice I will leave the mods to my LS swapped hot rod projects.
It's our summer time long distance cruiser.
The crazy part is I know we could get today $8000 more than we paid for it.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:10 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

A 392 isn't on the radar. For the weight and the sub 500 HP I'm not paying that much. I want something that if I want to mod, I can, and do so easily.

Spot on about the low buck interior bits and limited interior options but that's ok. I have driven a few 11-14 cars and they were fun cars. The BOSS is a cool car and one I floated around in my head but like you said it wouldn't be a great DD. The 11+ GT500 lost some lbs from the 2010 and I believe would ride a smidge (hah!) Better than the Boss.

Appreciate the feedback. Will have to just think on it some more.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:49 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

We have a '13. It's comfortable and drives just fine. You do have to be a bit careful with the throttle. It's not hard to get the car sideways, even at speed. Hence all of the "Cars and Coffee" Crowd Plow videos.
We also have a '17 GT350. I think I like it a lot better.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:07 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The_Dude
We have a '13. It's comfortable and drives just fine. You do have to be a bit careful with the throttle. It's not hard to get the car sideways, even at speed. Hence all of the "Cars and Coffee" Crowd Plow videos.
I wouldn't mind a GT350 or even a new Mach 1 but the prices of them are even higher. Both are cool cars. A friend of mine has a new primer gray (not sure the real color name) Mach 1 and it's beautiful. Another has a white with blue stripes GT350 with super low miles.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:57 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
A 392 isn't on the radar. For the weight and the sub 500 HP I'm not paying that much. I want something that if I want to mod, I can, and do so easily.

Spot on about the low buck interior bits and limited interior options but that's ok. I have driven a few 11-14 cars and they were fun cars. The BOSS is a cool car and one I floated around in my head but like you said it wouldn't be a great DD. The 11+ GT500 lost some lbs from the 2010 and I believe would ride a smidge (hah!) Better than the Boss.

Appreciate the feedback. Will have to just think on it some more.
I think you're making too much of the weight difference. It does weigh a little more, but they have more torque than the 5.0 or lt1. Granted, not as much as a GT500 or zl1, but those are a lot more money. And coming from a truck, a 392 will feel like an absolute rocket.

Are you planning to keep the truck? Why not just trade it on a TRX or put a Maggie on it? Or is it less about the power and more Bout a stick shift? Or just a non truck in general?
Old 02-06-2022, 10:39 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I think you're making too much of the weight difference. It does weigh a little more, but they have more torque than the 5.0 or lt1. Granted, not as much as a GT500 or zl1, but those are a lot more money. And coming from a truck, a 392 will feel like an absolute rocket.

Are you planning to keep the truck? Why not just trade it on a TRX or put a Maggie on it? Or is it less about the power and more Bout a stick shift? Or just a non truck in general?
5.0 and LT1 definitely make less torque than the 392 and having driven them all the 392 was probably more fun at slow speeds because of the torque but I'm not really interest in the LT1 or the 5.0 mostly because the price for them is insane. lol
Planning to get rid of the truck. It's at 40k miles and needs tires. It's perfect in about every way so I know I can get more than I paid for it 4 years ago but I'd like to get back into a car.

I've debated on a few new cars but $80k+ doesn't sit well with me. I easily can do it I just don't want to. A TRX was high on my list of new vehicles but I don't like the extra graphics and **** most come with. Most likely I will go back to an SUV this coming fall.

The 392 will feel lightening quick compared to the truck and when I feel like the truck has some ***** I put myself in check by grabbing the keys to the Viper or the Camaro SS. lol
Old 02-06-2022, 11:52 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

5.0 and LT1 definitely make less torque than the 392 and having driven them all the 392 was probably more fun at slow speeds because of the torque but I'm not really interest in the LT1 or the 5.0 mostly because the price for them is insane. lol
Planning to get rid of the truck. It's at 40k miles and needs tires. It's perfect in about every way so I know I can get more than I paid for it 4 years ago but I'd like to get back into a car.

I've debated on a few new cars but $80k+ doesn't sit well with me. I easily can do it I just don't want to. A TRX was high on my list of new vehicles but I don't like the extra graphics and **** most come with. Most likely I will go back to an SUV this coming fall.

The 392 will feel lightening quick compared to the truck and when I feel like the truck has some ***** I put myself in check by grabbing the keys to the Viper or the Camaro SS. lol
I can honestly say after making to switch from an f150 to a v8 Colorado to a tbss... If I don't have an absolute NEED for a truck, I'll never own another one. They suck, lol.

I'm enjoying my TBSS, but I think in a few years I'm picking u a Durango Hellcat. I debated on a jeep srt, but felt like 475hp didn't justify the massive price difference, plus I wanted to save some money, lol.

With the 392 grand cherokee gone, and the insane price of the srt Durango, the Durango r/t tow and go seems like a decent option. Maybe put a blower on it and have a not quite Hellcat Durango? Whipple says you can do 500whp or so on their blower with a 5.7 Durango...
Old 02-06-2022, 05:43 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

I can honestly say after making to switch from an f150 to a v8 Colorado to a tbss... If I don't have an absolute NEED for a truck, I'll never own another one. They suck, lol.

I'm enjoying my TBSS, but I think in a few years I'm picking u a Durango Hellcat. I debated on a jeep srt, but felt like 475hp didn't justify the massive price difference, plus I wanted to save some money, lol.

With the 392 grand cherokee gone, and the insane price of the srt Durango, the Durango r/t tow and go seems like a decent option. Maybe put a blower on it and have a not quite Hellcat Durango? Whipple says you can do 500whp or so on their blower with a 5.7 Durango...
I have very little use for a truck but my fear is that when I don't have it, I'll need it. But I'm just ready for a car again.

The Hellcat Durango is awesome and probably would be a great choice. I like the Jeep slightly better in looks but I could be swung either way.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I have very little use for a truck but my fear is that when I don't have it, I'll need it. But I'm just ready for a car again.

The Hellcat Durango is awesome and probably would be a great choice. I like the Jeep slightly better in looks but I could be swung either way.
I'm wish you on that. I like the trackhawk a little more on looks and content (no pano roof in the Durango), but I think the trackhawk logo is stupid (should have been a Hellcat) , the seats saying trackhawk are stupid(should have just said srt or had a Hellcat lgo on it), and the extra cargo space of the Durango appeals to me. Oh, and roof ac vents for the rear facing baby seat.

Since ditching a truck there have been 2 cases where I thought I might need the truck. 1 was buying a new 85" TV, but with the seats folded down and slid forward a bit, it fit laying flat in the back of the tbss. Te other is gettingulch, I just have to buy it bagged now and there's a limit to how many I can take. In NC I went to a landscape supply place that sold it by the scoop and would just dump it into the bed of my truck. I wouldn't do that with a nicer truck, but my Colorado was 10k so I was not so worried about that.

I think I may I vest in a folding utility trailer. My HOA doesn't allow trailers and I don't have garage space for one, but I have a utility area for ac and trash cans and stuff, I think I could hide a folding trailer there and it'd be fine for those situations where I "needed" a truck bed. And any performance suv with a little trailer is a far faster ride than a truck, minus the trx.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:33 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Agreed on those points. A guy in my parking garage at work has a Track Hawk and it goes unnoticed, which I like.

Here are two examples of what I'm looking at but ma open to others. The prices are ok but I think I can shave a few thousand. These cars are not selling as fast as they were or other vehicles.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...316327221/NONE

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...317289758/NONE
Old 02-06-2022, 09:05 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

They're not selling that fast because they weren't that fast... Those years were 550hp but HEAVY iron block motors. They understeered pretty bad as I recall as well, very much a muscle car in that they were pretty good in a straight line. That said, I think some years the engine was forged internals, and the iron block meant they could hold a lot of boost. It'd be a good option if a 5th gen zl1 or a ctsv isn't in the cards.

Did prices for the Chevy SS every come back to reality? That'd make a great daily as well.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Dude
Photos please?

I like the looks of the earlier GT500s, just don't know what the years were of it.

The GT350 was definitely in my wheelhouse of consideration 5-years ago.👍
Old 02-06-2022, 10:25 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

They're not selling that fast because they weren't that fast... Those years were 550hp but HEAVY iron block motors. They understeered pretty bad as I recall as well, very much a muscle car in that they were pretty good in a straight line. That said, I think some years the engine was forged internals, and the iron block meant they could hold a lot of boost. It'd be a good option if a 5th gen zl1 or a ctsv isn't in the cards.

Did prices for the Chevy SS every come back to reality? That'd make a great daily as well.
I don't care if it's that fast because even a 13/14 is slower than either car I have now.

I believe 2011+ had aluminum blocks.

I want to like the 5th gen ZL1 but I just can't. A CTS-V coupe with a manual would be awesome but good luck. lol
The last few SS's I saw were mid $40s for a nice low mile one.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:59 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Photos please?

I like the looks of the earlier GT500s, just don't know what the years were of it.

The GT350 was definitely in my wheelhouse of consideration 5-years ago.👍
Here's the GT350

and the GT500

Last edited by The_Dude; 02-07-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:20 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I don't care if it's that fast because even a 13/14 is slower than either car I have now.

I believe 2011+ had aluminum blocks.

I want to like the 5th gen ZL1 but I just can't. A CTS-V coupe with a manual would be awesome but good luck. lol
The last few SS's I saw were mid $40s for a nice low mile one.
Looks like you're right about the aluminum block, I didn't know that. I'd probably go with the iron block for more boosties all the same. It's not like that car handled very good even with the aluminum block.

I looked up stick shift SS last night. They're nuts. 50 to 60k for lower mile cars. It wasn't a good enough car to justify that kind of price.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 to 2014 GT500 owners

Old 02-07-2022, 07:45 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Looks like you're right about the aluminum block, I didn't know that. I'd probably go with the iron block for more boosties all the same. It's not like that car handled very good even with the aluminum block.

I looked up stick shift SS last night. They're nuts. 50 to 60k for lower mile cars. It wasn't a good enough car to justify that kind of price.
The SS is nice but not worth the price.

The 2011 had a lot of upgrades of the 2010. Part of the 11 for me is the tuning and fuel issues. You can make a **** ton more power on the stock fuel system.

The GT350 pictured looks awesome.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:32 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a 13 gt500 for 1 year. Loved the front/ rear end looks, good build quality. Other than that I hated it.

Horrible handling, terrible gearing, shifter sucks. Weak rods and super expensive engine repair. Hated the solid axle. Couldn't hook up worth a crap Sold it.

I'll probably go zl1 1le next. Fast enough in a straight line and awesome handling.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:55 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
Had a 13 gt500 for 1 year. Loved the front/ rear end looks, good build quality. Other than that I hated it.

Horrible handling, terrible gearing, shifter sucks. Weak rods and super expensive engine repair. Hated the solid axle. Couldn't hook up worth a crap Sold it.

I'll probably go zl1 1le next. Fast enough in a straight line and awesome handling.
What you're saying very similar to what I have been reading. To me though it doesn't need to be the best handling. Both my cars will out handle the 11-14 cars. Same with speed as mine make similar and more lower but both weigh less.

The 11/12 seem be better geared and I get why Ford put the longer rear in it for the 13/14 but still, very valid complaint.

The reason I am considering it is the 99% it's just me in the car but a back seat is a necessity. Car seats fit and in the event that I have to take my daughter 99% of those times it will be just her and me. Her mother is 5'2" so even if she had to she would be fine crunched up in the front. It would never be for a long distance, either, so long distance comfort isn't needed for more than one person.

My desire for a car like this is to be under $50k, under 20k miles, manual transmission, and a back seat. The more power the better but not necessarily a huge component in terms of having the absolute most for the money. Just not much else fits the bill.