Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

What do you think about electric cars being faster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 02:09 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by CWF
I simply want it all. I want the fastest 0-60. I want great handling. I want good looks. etc. etc. etc. I understand that there are tradeoffs in life but that doesn't stop my desire. And again I'm buying a C8 so there's that.
I get it; but with an EV you can get a decent 0-60 time ( if you spend enough money) at the expense of everything else.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:13 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by msm859
Actually the real picture in your "favorite scenario" is people lined up at gas stations and filling jugs with gas - shows on the news every single time. The EV owner will simply leave their house with a full charge and drive 300 miles away into safety.
And come back home to a power outage.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:19 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CWF
For the life of me I can't understand the constant dime store analysis of my self worth to want a fast car. Is that what this forum is about? Jeez some of you guys are like school kids.

And getting a faster and more capable car than my other vettes is exactly why I'm buying a C8 so no need to break anything to me as I'm well aware. Self-Worth fully intact.
Probably the way you phrased your first post, as if it would be mortifying to know that something was faster than your car after you bought it and make you regret buying your car.
I’ve been living with the fact a lot of cars are faster than anything I’ll ever own and I’m totally cool with it. C8 could be as fast as a 1995 Trans Am and I’d still buy it.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:23 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

So to your time you need to add up ALL the time during a year that you drive to a gas station, wait in line, process payment etc. Total time per year? Vs. total time charging an EV. Most of the time it takes 5 seconds to plug in at home and 5 seconds to unplug. Unless you do frequent long distance driving your total time filling up an ICE will far exceed charging an EV. Should also consider the additional costs with an ICE. For July 4th drove 100 miles to Sacramento and parked in the parking structure in old town. Had free charging. So while we are watching fireworks our car is charging - for free and no time lost.
Except Tesla stopped all the “free” charging, now charges you for idle time when you stick around too long at a charging station after you’ve topped off (so better hurry with that lunch you planned, the meter is running) and every year you’ll be sharing charging stations with more users, but won’t enough time to get a bite to eat, but not short enough to be on your way within 5 minutes either. You’re not selling it man.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:42 PM
S J
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

I’m not obsessed with having the fastest car. I also don’t care about gas vs EV. I do care about convenience though. It takes me 1 minute to fill my car, and there’s a place to fill it every mile for the most part. Until that’s the case with EV - I won’t have one.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:49 PM
ralt
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How far do you want to go? How fast do you want to get there?
Suggest we wait for a long distance, fast refill, ev first, Unless you like local driving
Old 07-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,029 Likes on 835 Posts

So to your time you need to add up ALL the time during a year that you drive to a gas station, wait in line, process payment etc. Total time per year? Vs. total time charging an EV. Most of the time it takes 5 seconds to plug in at home and 5 seconds to unplug. Unless you do frequent long distance driving your total time filling up an ICE will far exceed charging an EV. Should also consider the additional costs with an ICE. For July 4th drove 100 miles to Sacramento and parked in the parking structure in old town. Had free charging. So while we are watching fireworks our car is charging - for free and no time lost.
This is an absurd analogy. Yes my total minutes at the pump MIGHT add up to more per year than EV charging, and even that is unlikely (see below). And each individual stop is short (under 5 minutes). I do NOT want to add HOURS onto a long distance road trip waiting on a charger, even if its once a year.

My average gas station stop is maybe 4-5mins. Pump is omw home so the only added time is literally swiping my card and waiting for the gallons to pump in. I only need gas once every 10 days or so on average. So I stop for gas about 36 times a year. Let's say 40 times to be generous. Add in another 4 stops each way for a trip to ohio and I'm at 48. Let's throw in two more for good measure. That's 50 stops a year. Even at the outside max of 5 mins per stop that is 250 minutes gas pumping time per year. MAX.

If I tried to drive an EV to ohio even a single time I'd gobble up that 4 hours immediately. And that's just for ONE long distance trip, let alone frequent long trips or even weekend getaways. And who tf waits in line at gas stations these days??? I pay at the pump with my CC. Takes a matter of seconds. And anyone driving TO a gas station to fill up rather than just doing it on their way to/from work, groceries, etc is a fool who doesnt manage their time well anyway.

EV charging time is not the eutopia of zero down time you make it out to be.

Last edited by Korbek; 07-08-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:57 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

A meaningless question.

As a former NYC resident if I want to go on an electric motor driven high speed ride, the next time I'm in the city I'll simply head over to one of the hundred story buildings, get into a high speed elevator, and hit the button. And if I want to read about what's happening with high speed electric motor driven "vehicles", instead of Motor Trend I'll subscribe to an elevator indutsry trade publication.

As yo can tell EV's hold no attraction for me whatsoever - reason being: no smoke, flames, or noise.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:58 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic94
Except Tesla stopped all the “free” charging, now charges you for idle time when you stick around too long at a charging station after you’ve topped off (so better hurry with that lunch you planned, the meter is running) and every year you’ll be sharing charging stations with more users, but won’t enough time to get a bite to eat, but not short enough to be on your way within 5 minutes either. You’re not selling it man.
So the good news is I bought my 2020 Model X in December 2019. So mine has free unlimited life time super charging. "Idle time costs" is ONLY if you are fully charged, at a busy place, any you otherwise lack common courtesy to move so someone else can charge - if you are still "charging" there are NO idle charges - you can stay until you are 100% charged. Can't speak to other states, but in California, Tesla is adding Superchargers at a very rapid pace. I have never had to wait. I am not trying to sell anything, just want to clear up some misinformation out there.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:04 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Five minutes here and five minutes there is not the same as being forced to sit somewhere for an hour I don't want to be while I wait for the car to charge.

For example: Before my mom passed, I used to go see her 2-3 times a month at the nursing home in Corsicana, TX. I used to take her to a nice little restaurant in downtown for lunch. If I had to refuel my EV, the only charger in town is way the hell out on the edge of town with nothing but a Chili's and a Popeye's within walking distance. So instead of eating some generic burger or some such, I go here. Because I'm not tethered to the needs of the car.

Now, once they figure out the charging issue where I don't need to stand around picking my nose for 45 minutes, I'll check into an EV. But not till they fix the battery issue.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:06 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Old 07-08-2021, 04:21 PM
mjannusch
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Korbek
I only need gas once every 10 days or so on average.
That right there is the whole answer. If you are only getting gas every 10 days or so, then that's an average of 30-40 miles a day, or so. WELL within the range of any electric car many times over. I have a Chevy Volt for a daily driver, and very rarely do we have to put any gas at all in it - and that only has a range of 50 miles on electric in the summer and around 35 in the winter (and about 350 when you add the gas engine's range). We just plug it in when we get out of the car on the way in the house. No problem at all, takes a couple seconds and the car is fully charged the next time we have to use it.

Long trips - rent a gas vehicle for the trip. Or use one of your other vehicles, which is a gas vehicle. It's really no big deal.

I love having performance cars, and can't wait for my C8 to arrive in a month or so. I wouldn't want to be completely rid of the experience of an internal combustion sports car, but driving around on electric power when you are stuck in traffic or just doing mundane everyday driving - electric is totally fine.

No oil changes, fewer brake jobs, and fewer mechanical things to go wrong. All good things.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:37 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

In my opinion EVs at this point in time are still just novelty cars. Out of the 10-15 family/friends/acquaintances that own Teslas I can only think of one of them that has gone full EV. Meaning all the others still own an ICE vehicle for road trips and backup transportation.

My brother-in-law leased a Model X a couple years back.... When he first got it he was fully on the EV bandwagon. "I am saving the environment, I am saving on gas, it is really fast, taking a 45 minute break to recharge on road trips is actually better than refueling in 5 minutes or less".... etc... etc... etc... Then after travelling from DFW to OKC and back over Thanksgiving in 2019 he got stuck in Ardmore, OK waiting for a charging spot for about 5 hours. That was the last time that Model X has been more than 50 miles away from his home. Then the X starting having all sorts of issues and at this point he has driven Tesla's loaners more than his own. Tesla is extremely smart though... They will loan you the exact same model in the exact same color so that your neighbors won't know you are driving a piece of garbage.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by S J
I’m not obsessed with having the fastest car. I also don’t care about gas vs EV. I do care about convenience though. It takes me 1 minute to fill my car, and there’s a place to fill it every mile for the most part. Until that’s the case with EV - I won’t have one.
I agree with this overall. I don't have any real beef with electrics, but they're not convenient enough for me to consider them. I am not willing to plug in every night. If I could wireless ly charge, maybe, but truthfully we don't park in the same spots every day, so that's not ideal. If there was an electric that would give me 400+ miles off a 1 to 5 minute charge anywhere in the country, I would be fine with it. But until then, it's not convenient enough for me.

That said, that's for a normal around town vehicle. That's to replace our SUVs. I have no interest in an electric sports car, because for me, the sports car is less about the performance, and more about the experience. I like the non linearity of power delivery, I like the sounds and feels... I couldn't care less if an electric is faster, it's not as much the experience and fun I want.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:29 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Since I'll never drive one at B'ville, I don't care.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:08 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

An automatic is (usually) faster than a manual in the same car, but not nearly as much fun.
Another point to consider is the commitment of the guy you are "racing". I have beaten plenty of faster cars just because I kept my foot in it longer.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:35 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CWF
I have a C3 and a C5 (purchased new in 1998) in my garage and have a deposit down on a new C8. Now I know I'm going to get a bunch of crap for saying this but I keep wondering if I am going to be sorry now that some electric cars are faster than our beloved Vettes and, am I buying into a dying technology.

Change my mind...this ought to be good.
I have been struggling with this for a while because Teslas have been pushing the straight line performance envelope for years and are apparently not all that expensive to maintain. I am not a road course guy but I also don't drag anymore either although I have an extremely heavy foot. I've owned half a dozen Vettes with my last one being a C6Z and while the styling of the C7 didn't really make me covet it the C8 is achingly beautiful. The Tesla Model S is a hound, but also an AWD 12 month car with some usable space. The Tesla Model Y Performance SUV is not even the quick one and it is 3.6 0-60 and 12.1 which is probably quicker than me in my C5z on my best day. Now Car & Driver used the term "graceless handling" which on top of homely makes it kind of the anti-Vette and the quicker Model X is the same. I might own one yet but it isn't a Vette substitute unless you are into stoplight drags and desperately need extra seating. I drove a Hellcat a few weeks ago and I didn't feel it for the same reasons. I am sure the Model S Plaid handles better than the SUV but it isn't a sports car and Musk really should have taken a closer look at the Fisker Karma when pushing the EV performance envelope because the whole Tesla line lacks any kind of beauty.

If you have the money I think there is a strong case for an AWD Tesla as a DD but its a big step for a sports car guy to give his heart to even a GT500 never mind a bar of soap, no matter how quick. Unless you have kids and a single car garage of course.

My concern is that EVs become the standard and gas engine cars are soon to become dinosaurs but since I can afford all the gas I need even the craziest Teslas are one trick ponies to me.

Last edited by nuck; 07-08-2021 at 08:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think about electric cars being faster?

Old 07-09-2021, 03:17 AM
SL41
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

there isn't a road course that EV has faster lap time vs the top tier super cars.

the physics never lies, extra 1500lb doesn't equal to performance, can't turn, can't stop, runs out of charge before the end of the race, or takes forever to charge the battery....etc lol when Telsa starts winning 12 hours of Sebring or 24 hours of Le mans or Daytona then you can call them fast. right now any car that is in these races will beat a telsa model S plaid.

Last edited by SL41; 07-09-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:17 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

So the good news is I bought my 2020 Model X in December 2019. So mine has free unlimited life time super charging. "Idle time costs" is ONLY if you are fully charged, at a busy place, any you otherwise lack common courtesy to move so someone else can charge - if you are still "charging" there are NO idle charges - you can stay until you are 100% charged. Can't speak to other states, but in California, Tesla is adding Superchargers at a very rapid pace. I have never had to wait. I am not trying to sell anything, just want to clear up some misinformation out there.
Good news for you, not anybody else. Those were perks trying to attract people to the brand, Like back when phone companies used to give you a Nokia for $1. Idle time is charged when you’ve left your car after it’s charged. So while you’re waiting for your bill at Chili’s and a line is forming at the charger (turned into a parking spot ) so Tesla charges you to disincentivize the behavior. Where I live Tesla owners just use charges as parking spots without even plugging the car in.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:37 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,070 Likes on 593 Posts

Actually I think EV's are excellent if you live in a big city or in a place where there's no natural weather problems like ice storms, heavy snow storms or hurricanes and you have at least added a 25 AMP additional electric service to your house with either a 480 or 240 charger. But long trips, in an emergency situations are at best scary. In the event or large ice storms, when the power lines come down you're screwed. When there's heavy snow storms and blizzards and your car get's stuck how will you get out after the battery is dead? Can the tow trucks just jump you? And in the event of a major hurricane, like Irma was back in 2017 and the whole state of Florida is ordered to evacuate and millions of people are heading north and your battery runs down and you have to stop and charge your battery at a charging station and there's long lines of irate scared people waiting for some guy to recharge his car for an hour or two. Meanwhile the hurricane winds knocked down the power lines, than what will you do? The idea of EV's is nice and sounds lovely, but, a total change simply will not be practical. I'm sorry if you disagree but I'm an Engineer and whenever I had to design anything I had to look at the worst that could and would happen.

As for electric cars being faster, they are mostly for perhaps two 1/4 mile sprints, but, a third time in a row, nope. Their battery will need to be recharged but you'll still have at least a 3/4 tank full. And every one of the present EV's that I've seen in race videos that after a 1/2 mile a Corvette wins.

Quick Reply: What do you think about electric cars being faster?