Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Model S Plaid Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 05:42 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,312 Posts

A lightweight horse jockey or super skinny model would have the best chance at setting the record as there’s no skill needed.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:25 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Umm, who cares if it's better tech? Yeah, it's fast. So are plenty of other cars.

Heck even a "regular" Tesla is faster than most high end sports cars in a straight line. Great for it and its owners. So what?

Many of us care far more about 0-60 or track times.

Sounds like you're arguing with yourself.

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
I like the Corvette just as much as you all, but I won't drink cool-aid. The other technological approach is superior in every way. The Plaid will destroy the C8 on the track as well as on the drag strip. And probably beat the C8 Z08 (if it ever comes out) on the track as well. Truth hurts.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Do you really feel satisfied after driving the Tesla?
Look I love Corvette's and have owned many, my C5 TT in particular getting two articles in Vette Magazine. My current C7 Z with 2650 Maggie is far more fun to drive than my C8, the C8 is far more fun to look at than the C7. But when I sold my Tesla Model 3 Performance to a family member who was commuting a lot...it's the only car I ever missed selling. So I guess that means I was really satisfied driving it. I'm not going to miss the C8 at all. The ME platform will be around for a while and in about 2 more years it will be old news. I really hope that GM releases a C8 that can keep up with a Tesla Model S Plaid. I may go back to a Vette when that day comes. But I know a lot of people from Porsche, Lambo, Vette, and Bugatti might be in denial...but there now is a car for less than $150K that will wipe the floor with them in each of the perspective areas....and hold 3 more passengers. Think about it...how much does it take to get a C5, C6, C7, or C8 into the low 9's and a 0-60 below 2 secs? Do they even have street tires...or are they running drag radials also? Telsa Model S is running on 21" wheels....not 15-18" DR setups. I have said it for over a year and all of the cry babies in the C8 section talk smack but it is the truth...GM needs a hybrid C8 that will perform as good on the street as a Tesla from 0-60....that is what 90% of the C8 cheerleaders rave about it is how fast it gets to 60mph. That is what the world has become now.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:18 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Can a Tesla do a 25-30 minute session on track?
Real question, I've never seen one try.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:33 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
i seem to recall that the C7Z06 could not.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:34 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

A Tesla
Old 06-13-2021, 07:19 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

That’s great, but why did this get moved to the C8 Z06/ZR1 section and not the other cars forum?
I wonder what kind of real world results will be achievable with the Plaid S and what the rest of the industry will build.
I feel like Tesla’s days of being the only game in town are rapidly approaching their end with the EPA regulations etc, will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Whats this car cost with no options checked, what about the one pictured above (roadster)? That’s a good looking car.

Last edited by Aozora; 06-13-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:24 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
This post is the literal definition of a straw man argument. Did the post asking a very legitimate question offend you?
Old 06-13-2021, 07:26 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
A Tesla
Nobody does it like Porsche amirite?
Old 06-13-2021, 08:05 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

With the new batteries and cooling, I think it can. There is plenty of data to support it to. Look at Pobst comments about the new batteries in this article:

Unplugged Performance Reveals Insane Model S Plaid Pikes Peak Racer (motortrend.com)

"Illustrating this point, Schaffer points out that as the state of charge decreased in the Model 3, "the power would go down in ratio to some degree." The same does not hold true for the Unplugged Performance's Pikes Plaid racer. At one point Pobst rolled into the pits at Laguna Seca with 34 percent charge remaining, only to announce the car feels as quick as it does with a full charge. "That's a big difference."

"Pobst was able to silently pass several Lamborghinis, Porsches, and McLarens, before shattering the splitter on his second lap of the day."

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 06-13-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:10 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Look I love Corvette's and have owned many, my C5 TT in particular getting two articles in Vette Magazine. My current C7 Z with 2650 Maggie is far more fun to drive than my C8, the C8 is far more fun to look at than the C7. But when I sold my Tesla Model 3 Performance to a family member who was commuting a lot...it's the only car I ever missed selling. So I guess that means I was really satisfied driving it. I'm not going to miss the C8 at all. The ME platform will be around for a while and in about 2 more years it will be old news. I really hope that GM releases a C8 that can keep up with a Tesla Model S Plaid. I may go back to a Vette when that day comes. But I know a lot of people from Porsche, Lambo, Vette, and Bugatti might be in denial...but there now is a car for less than $150K that will wipe the floor with them in each of the perspective areas....and hold 3 more passengers. Think about it...how much does it take to get a C5, C6, C7, or C8 into the low 9's and a 0-60 below 2 secs? Do they even have street tires...or are they running drag radials also? Telsa Model S is running on 21" wheels....not 15-18" DR setups. I have said it for over a year and all of the cry babies in the C8 section talk smack but it is the truth...GM needs a hybrid C8 that will perform as good on the street as a Tesla from 0-60....that is what 90% of the C8 cheerleaders rave about it is how fast it gets to 60mph. That is what the world has become now.
I am with you on your assessment,. Also, think the Plaid will get into the 8's with a trap speed near 160 mph in the 1/4 with weight reduction and for sure when the new batteries are ready. amazing times we are living in,
Old 06-13-2021, 09:05 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Old 06-13-2021, 10:59 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Aozora
This post is the literal definition of a straw man argument. Did the post asking a very legitimate question offend you?
No straw man argument, but apparently ur the one offended by a simple statement of fact.
“Sauce for the goose”.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:46 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Aozora
Nobody does it like Porsche amirite?
I take a Chevy any day before a Tesla.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:10 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

This was actually very informative and educational. Enjoyed watching it.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:18 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Yep.
imo Tesla does need a top notch design team for both the exterior and interior, because looks do matter and EV competitors will seize on it.

I doubt i'll own an EV in my life time as my DD vehicle, unless they can match ranges of the ICE and the ease of re-charging equal to the ICE fill-up.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:20 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
Yep.
imo Tesla does need a top notch design team for both the exterior and interior, because looks do matter and EV competitors will seize on it.

I doubt i'll own an EV in my life time as my DD vehicle, unless they can match ranges of the ICE and the ease of re-charging equal to the ICE fill-up.
what competition does the Plaid have? I haven't seen anything close to it for the price point. nothing in the near future either. And the model S has a .2 drag coefficient. cant add too many el cheapo exterior looks to impact performance.

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 06-14-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Model S Plaid Revealed

Old 06-14-2021, 09:00 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

What do you miss about it? I’ve ridden in a Tesla at autocross and it’s acceleration is impressive with how the pedal can just be matted vectoring torque as efficiently as possible, though it’s not exciting.

At what pace and ambient temperature?

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
If it’s a 25-30 minute race then the C7Z06 will win even if it has to run at a slower pace short shifting to keep temps in check it’d still be faster than a Tesla at “part throttle”
Old 06-14-2021, 09:04 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
I am with you on your assessment,. Also, think the Plaid will get into the 8's with a trap speed near 160 mph in the 1/4 with weight reduction and for sure when the new batteries are ready. amazing times we are living in,
Whats crazy to me is you have EPA cracking down on the off road use only market and then promoting 9 second sedans with no race style safety equipment that can run basically as fast on the street as they can at the dragstrip.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:26 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Whats crazy to me is you have EPA cracking down on the off road use only market and then promoting 9 second sedans with no race style safety equipment that can run basically as fast on the street as they can at the dragstrip.
good point. but hey the environment will be safer (jest).....hahah

Quick Reply: Model S Plaid Revealed