Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Model S Plaid Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 11:08 AM
foo.c
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 187 Posts

IBTL

Track days with a Tesla must be frustrating. I can run all day, maybe have to fuel up once.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:25 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,455 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I keep thinking one of these days, Tesla is going to build a genuinely beautiful sedan or coupe. If they ever do, they won't be able to handle demand. Currently, great tech, but awful design.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:28 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

WTF happened to the Roadster?
Old 06-11-2021, 11:32 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I keep thinking one of these days, Tesla is going to build a genuinely beautiful sedan or coupe. If they ever do, they won't be able to handle demand. Currently, great tech, but awful design.
I completely agree. They have a very interesting nugget of technology. But a company like GM could actually make it work the way everyone would like. And I think they (GM) will in the future.

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 06-11-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:38 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
I like the Corvette just as much as you all, but I won't drink cool-aid. The other technological approach is superior in every way. The Plaid will destroy the C8 on the track as well as on the drag strip. And probably beat the C8 Z08 (if it ever comes out) on the track as well. Truth hurts.
OK. I challenge you to a 6 hour enduro race at the track of your choice.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:16 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Who the ^%() does 6 hour endurances races? .001 % of people who own Corvettes? cmon man, these are street cars we are talking about,.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:25 PM
C8Zeb06
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 239 Posts

And how does it sound? Like George Jetsons little form of transportation? LMAO!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing it's capabilities. It simply has no soul. Part of owning and enjoying a sports car is being able to hear it as well, bringing all of our senses into the pure enjoyment of sports cars. And for that I will never own an electric car. But to each their own.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:32 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Who the ^%() does 6 hour endurances races? .001 % of people who own Corvettes? cmon man, these are street cars we are talking about,.
It's the same bullshit excuses I saw when I was part of the 3000GT community. "Well, how about we race in the rain!" They'd come up with whatever BS circumstance they could dream up in order to play to the one thing that car was good at. AWD launches.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:32 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Interesting to see how many Corvette fans are not "car guys" -- just Corvette fanbois. Car guys enjoy cars of all types, especially the ones that push boundaries.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:41 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Ok, how about a road trip from Washington, DC to Miami Beach?
Old 06-11-2021, 12:41 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Fine, don't go to a track. I challenge you to to a race from Texarkana to El Paso. All on public roads, never to exceed the speed limit. I won't even use the vette - I'll drive the Canine Coupe'. (That's what I call my 2005 toyota matrix. Use it to haul the dogs to the vet and such.) That's a real world test of street cars, yes?

Last edited by sstonebreaker; 06-11-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:44 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Can wait to see what stupid things the general public will do with a car like this. How soon until the government starts regulating acceleration?
Old 06-11-2021, 12:49 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Speednet
Interesting to see how many Corvette fans are not "car guys" -- just Corvette fanbois. Car guys enjoy cars of all types, especially the ones that push boundaries.
The tesla is good at one thing and one thing only. I'd be better off buying a Dodge Demon. At least those sound good and look cool going down the drag strip. Not to mention, I can make the Demon faster if stock isn't fast enough.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:54 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Can wait to see what stupid things the general public will do with a car like this. How soon until the government starts regulating acceleration?
They actually sorta do already. You can get a ticket for "excessive show of speed" or some BS like that.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:00 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

The fanboi'ism is pretty bad (but to be expected on a Corvette site). That said, some are just out and out delusional with it *coughpunkycough*.

The Telsa is an interesting vehicle, not completely sold on their looks, and they really wouldn't fit my real world need. But I am seeing more in the area (20 miles past nowhere) so they are getting better. My biggest issue is long distance trips. Example: I'm planning a trip from north of Dallas to San Antonio (should be easy enough since we are staying overnight at least, but then need to find a charging station there), then to New Orleans (problem, since it is about 550 miles, then have the charger problem again), then to Juno Beach, FL, big problem here as it almost 800 miles. I'd have to figure out the charging there since we would be in a parking lot at my in-laws condo complex... not sure how running the cord across the drive area is gonna work out.

Then driving back, and not by the same path. Wife and I plan to hit the return trip in one shot (1250+ miles). That'd require leaving with a fully charged vehicle and then at least two FULL charges to get home. No way we could do that in a Telsa in one day.

Last edited by vndkshn; 06-11-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:02 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm not a Tesla fan or a fan of EVs in general for a number of reasons. I can't imagine ever being a buyer. However, there is simply no denying the shocking performance that they're capable of. The video at Laguna Seca was eye opening. They have definitely come a long way and are putting up some very impressive numbers, even when required to turn.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:13 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
WTF happened to the Roadster?
It's still coming, they're still working on it, and it even has a SpaceX option with rocket thrusters (not kidding).

Get notified of new replies

To Model S Plaid Revealed

Old 06-11-2021, 01:13 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

^That's actually a great looking car.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:16 PM
fzust
Burning Brakes

Received 1,129 Likes on 460 Posts

The biggest limitation of performance on the Electric is weight. That will take a while to resolve with solid state batteries, Super Caps etc. The other stuff like charging infrastructure, that is coming and it won't stop. Once you get to a 10 minute "fill up" it is at parity with gasoline. Solid state will enable that too. Electrical infrastructure is way, way behind.

Don't me wrong, I am no fan boy of the electric performance cars as a replacement for gas performance cars. The gas cars are soul-stirring. But for runs to Costco, Errands, and road trips? Super quiet, smooth, efficient sedan with 1000HP? Doesn't sound terrible.

Of course we wouldn't be talking about this is we had a !@#$@#$@#$ C8Z or C8ZR1 to talk about!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:38 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,455 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I like all sorts of cars, and the engineering in Teslas I find intriguing. I just can't get past the gawd awful styling of them. As more and more capable they seem to get, mechanically, every time I see one I have this reaction:

Quick Reply: Model S Plaid Revealed