Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Camaro ZL1 Opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Livingston
When you say ZL1 is faster on all fronts vs Base C7 or GS C7, do you mean the ZL1-1LE or a ZL1?
The general opinion is the 1LE holds a very slight advantage on the track but the ride quality is sacrificed as a result. The stock tires are pretty much useless on the street, especially when it comes to hydroplaning.
The ZL1 holds the edge on straight line acceleration due to better aerodynamics. The stock tires are OK but most people change them out pretty quick for Michelin PS4's. Wheels on both models are forged.
The biggest difference between the two are are the aero pieces on the front end, tires, and the 1LE has some type of cradle bushing on the rear axle which benefits handling but destroys the ride quality.
They don't do to bad in the resale department. I bought mine in Feb of this year and first tried to find a lightly used 2019 example. Best deal I could find was high 50's. 6 months ago you could buy a new 2020 ZL1 in the 64-66K range. I paid just under 65 for mine. 1LE, even though it stickered for more, could be had for slightly less. IMO it wasn't selling as well due to the front end styling.
Since the "pandemic" hit prices seem higher on new cars with few dealers willing to negotiate. Used? Thats a crap shoot since we never know how desperate the seller is. I do wonder how much longer they will be built because this car is now the only model that uses the LT4 engine. If GM pulls the plug on the Z the used values will remain very strong IMO.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 07-25-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I am aware of the Du point Meetings in East St.Pete but waking up at 6am on Saturday is not for me. So yes, leaning to the ZL1 Auto or A10. Why they drop in price so fast is a question I can't answer not will I try. It's unfortunate Camaros don't maintain their value like some other high end performance vehicles. Thanks for the support and information.
I think its with all new high end GM cars, The first two years, they lose about 8-10K a year.

The main thing you may consider is the 1LE ride. You get really good performance out of the ZL1, but if you're not going to road race it on a track, the standard ZL1 may work for you and a softer ride. I do kind of like the smaller spoiler in the back than the larger.

Just depends how you're going to drive it. My ZR1 misses curves and turns, compares to flat and straight Florida.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:59 AM
Mr. Livingston
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Like mine? Minus the moonroof.

The Blue looks Amazing in person. Pictures simply don't do it any justice. Congrats on your Blue ZL1.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:05 AM
Mr. Livingston
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
The general opinion is the 1LE holds a very slight advantage on the track but the ride quality is sacrificed as a result. The stock tires are pretty much useless on the street, especially when it comes to hydroplaning.

The ZL1 holds the edge on straight line acceleration due to better aerodynamics. The stock tires are OK but most people change them out pretty quick for Michelin PS4's. Wheels on both models are forged.

The biggest difference between the two are are the aero pieces on the front end, tires, and the 1LE has some type of cradle bushing on the rear axle which benefits handling but destroys the ride quality.

They don't do to bad in the resale department. I bought mine in Feb of this year and first tried to find a lightly used 2019 example. Best deal I could find was high 50's. 6 months ago you could buy a new 2020 ZL1 in the 64-66K range. I paid just under 65 for mine. 1LE, even though it stickered for more, could be had for slightly less. IMO it wasn't selling as well due to the front end styling.

Since the "pandemic" hit prices seem higher on new cars with few dealers willing to negotiate. Used? That's a crap shoot since we never know how desperate the seller is. I do wonder how much longer they will be built because this car is now the only model that uses the LT4 engine. If GM pulls the plug on the Z the used values will remain very strong IMO.
A10 Automatic vs Manual --- which is better for resale? I think this all new A10 is the better choice for resale, but not by much.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-transmission/

Old 07-26-2020, 04:27 AM
Dries
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the consensus about the 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 within this community? Reason asking is my friend is selling his 18 ZL1 (automatic) and he offered me a good deal. My intent still is a 17-19 C7 Grand Sport but the spec I desire is low inventory. Feedback good or bad is welcomed.
I've been blessed enough to have driven the older Z28 5th gen? (2014 I think, Worked at a dealership) and have driven a grandsport. The corvette is a way way nicer car imo. The Camaro is very hard to see out of, and doesn't feel roomy inside the cabin.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:51 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Dries
I've been blessed enough to have driven the older Z28 5th gen? (2014 I think, Worked at a dealership) and have driven a grandsport. The corvette is a way way nicer car imo. The Camaro is very hard to see out of, and doesn't feel roomy inside the cabin.
Comparing a bare bones 5th gen with a loaded 6th gen is not quite apples to apples.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:48 PM
Mr. Livingston
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Comparing a bare bones 5th gen with a loaded 6th gen is not quite apples to apples.
Agreed as the 6th Gen ZL1 is light years ahead of any 5th Gen ZL1.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:22 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

The Z28 isn't really bare bones but it's not loaded.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:21 PM
Mr. Livingston
Instructor

The Z28 isn't really bare bones but it's not loaded.
As great as the 5th Gen Z/28 was, and is, I think it's still behind the ZL1-1LE.

Manual or Automatic: Which is better long term resale?
Old 07-26-2020, 09:53 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

As great as the 5th Gen Z/28 was, and is, I think it's still behind the ZL1-1LE.

I think it depends on the track. The Z28 is a beast but also an older design with less power but it punches way above it's weight.

Long term resale? Who knows. I value manuals more than automatics.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:25 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

I think manuals will command a slightly higher price (in pristine low mileage examples) down the road but it will take 15-20 years to get there.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:51 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

Personally, I never make buying decisions based on potential resale down the road. Instead, I will choose the car that I like better and will give me the most enjoyment while I own it.

Drive both auto and stick and decide which one is for you. I don't think that after owning the car for years, the difference in resale value will matter much.

I always tell people, don't buy a "but" car. What's a "but" car? It's a car you buy and then you say, "I really like this car BUT I wish I had gotten the stick instead" or what ever other option you skipped to save money or because you didn't want to wait to find the car you really wanted.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:30 AM
stormcloak
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 98 Posts

They're nice cars. I did get a ride in one, and they're impressively quick, and the interiors are nice too, if a bit cramped. Of the 2, I'd pick the GS every day. Neither is going to hold its value incredibly well IMO.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Mr. Livingston
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Personally, I never make buying decisions based on potential resale down the road. Instead, I will choose the car that I like better and will give me the most enjoyment while I own it.
As an Investor by trade I always look at any expense with a possible return so we are very different how we see this situation.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:54 PM
Mr. Livingston
Instructor

I always tell people, don't buy a "but" car. What's a "but" car? It's a car you buy and then you say, "I really like this car BUT I wish I had gotten the stick instead" or whatever other option you skipped to save money or because you didn't want to wait to find the car you really wanted.
I can own either. I look more at availability, price, color and location near my city or neighborhood.

Some of the best deals you make are the deals you walk away from is a quote from many a wealthy men.

Last edited by Mr. Livingston; 07-31-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:18 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

My money is on the ZL1 being worth more in 5 years time. So if you plan to sell it I would go ZL1. I would anyway.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:56 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

As an Investor by trade I always look at any expense with a possible return so we are very different how we see this situation.
Interesting. I'm a car guy so to me, what the car does for me is more of a priority. I've made plenty of bad financial choices when it comes to cars! Now that I'm retired and getting up there in age, I'd rather get as much enjoyment out of what I have while I have it.

Anyway, don't mean to derail your thread here. I honestly have no idea which car will depreciate less but I would guess the ZL1 because of less sold and maybe more prone to get wrecked leaving even less available. Will depend on how much you are going to drive it as well. If you like each car equally, I'd go with the Camaro. Can't go wrong either way as they are both amazing cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro ZL1 Opinions ?

Old 07-31-2020, 07:59 PM
Mr. Livingston
Instructor

My money is on the ZL1 being worth more in 5 years time. So if you plan to sell it I would go ZL1. I would anyway.
Thanks for your feedback.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:06 AM
Mike00
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting. I'm a car guy so to me, what the car does for me is more of a priority. I've made plenty of bad financial choices when it comes to cars! Now that I'm retired and getting up there in age, I'd rather get as much enjoyment out of what I have while I have it.

Anyway, don't mean to derail your thread here. I honestly have no idea which car will depreciate less but I would guess the ZL1 because of less sold and maybe more prone to get wrecked leaving even less available. Will depend on how much you are going to drive it as well. If you like each car equally, I'd go with the Camaro. Can't go wrong either way as they are both amazing cars.
I struggle with statements like this. I’m all about savings, incredible fiscally conservative and put off the Z06 until “later in my years” (yeah I know 36 isn’t that old) because I wanted more investment properties - I say that to state I’m as conservative as it comes. That said, cars never have an ROI - can you maybe save a few extra grand on certain buys on a $50k+ car? Sure. But. Does a few extra grand even matter when you are talking about buying a car of this type at this price?
Old 08-01-2020, 02:21 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Unless you're a guy like Randy Pobst....... the auto trans car is likely to give you better results. No denying that today's autos/DCT's are at an advantage putting down the overall better of the performance numbers/figures compared to their manual optioned counterparts. With that being said...... there are still a huge number of purists who prefer to row a manual and of those purists..... there are a very small number like Randy that can best the time of the auto with the manual gearbox!!! Taking it a step further, there are many who prefer the analog experience of a manual (myself being one of those people) who will give up the consistency of the automatic setup to experience the rawness of a manual even if it means sacrificing a small amount of time around the track or a couple tenths at the drag strip. I come from a time where a person proficient with a manual would post considerably better 1/4 mile times/traps than the same car offered with an automatic transmission....... I'm talking late 80's/early 90's Mustang 5.0L cars, LT1 Corvette's and 4th gen Camaros/Firebirds/TA's to name a few. Even getting into the C5/C6 Corvettes.

Quick Reply: Camaro ZL1 Opinions ?