Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

ATS-V or Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 02:39 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
Default ATS-V or Stinger

Just looking for opinions...

Background.

Live in Pittsburgh, moving to Fort Myers next year and need to consulate my cars.

Big track HPDE guy. 9 years of track time and multiple track cars under my belt.

Right now my summer daily HPDE is a modded 350z I picked up a couple years back.

Mods are mostly, Cooling, brakes, and suspension.

The issue I have at the moment is I will not have my 5 car garage in FL. Just a 3 car garage. So I need to sell the Z and my Solstice Coupe for a single Daily.

The wife said I need something with 4 doors so when our friends visit we don't have to take multiple cars.

So the options I am looking at is getting a ATS-V for my daily and HPDE track car OR (flame suit ON) a Kia Stinger GT2 for my daily and bring my C7 Grand Sport to the track. I really didn't want to make the Corvette a track car though.

So better performance (ats) and save the vette from track abuse or better tech (Stinger) and i would have to bring the Vette to the track.

Anyone have a ATS or friend with one? I haven't had a chance to sit or drive either of these cars because .. you know.. winter time.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

CTS-V all the way that chassis is supposed to be excellent. Or.....
Alfa Romeo giulia quadrifoglio or BMW m3/m4
Old 01-18-2020, 03:19 PM
c6txvette
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m in a very similar position op (well sorta). I’d opt for a stinger and coincidentally was looking at them as I am getting a little bored with my Z (not stock) but still not enough for me and I’m thinking abt getting out of the fast car scene altogether. With the thought of selling my Z and Zl1 and buying one kinda fun car that will remain stock I narrowed it down to the stinger 3.3 gt as a very possible option. I too only want 3 cars between my bf and myself one of which being a diesel 4wd. The Atsv does nothing for me personally
Old 01-18-2020, 03:23 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Originally Posted by c6txvette
I’m in a very similar position op (well sorta). I’d opt for a stinger and coincidentally was looking at them as I am getting a little bored with my Z (not stock) but still not enough for me and I’m thinking abt getting out of the fast car scene altogether. With the thought of selling my Z and Zl1 and buying one kinda fun car that will remain stock I narrowed it down to the stinger 3.3 gt as a very possible option. I too only want 3 cars between my bf and myself one of which being a diesel 4wd. The Atsv does nothing for me personally
The Stinger GT2 has the cooled seats. Would be real nice for the summer months in South Florida. I like the looks of it and it seems to be well designed by the engineers Kia poached from the M division of BMW.

Originally Posted by Ruderegime
CTS-V all the way that chassis is supposed to be excellent. Or.....
Alfa Romeo giulia quadrifoglio or BMW m3/m4
The CTS isnt an option for me. Even the 3-4 year old ones are more than I want to spend.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:30 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

My neighbor has a Stinger w/all the options.
I like it and would prefer it over the ATS.

The TT V6 with AWD....is a blast to drive.Good warranty too.
\db2
Old 01-18-2020, 03:34 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Originally Posted by dbaker
My neighbor has a Stinger w/all the options.
I like it and would prefer it over the ATS.

The TT V6 with AWD....is a blast to drive.Good warranty too.
\db2
Yeah, like the interior of the Stinger much more. And like you said, 100k warranty.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:53 PM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Received 622 Likes on 257 Posts

Have you looked at the genesis g70? Same drivetrain as Stinger, slightly smaller dimensions, more nimble handling. Rear or all wheel drive. And same great warranty as the Kia
Old 01-18-2020, 04:04 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Originally Posted by neogenesis
Have you looked at the genesis g70? Same drivetrain as Stinger, slightly smaller dimensions, more nimble handling. Rear or all wheel drive. And same great warranty as the Kia
I have. But the wife said we need 4 doors for friends to visit and the G70 is smaller in the back. Need the rear room when family and friends visit us in FL now. I also considered the Dodge Charger Scat Pack but IMO, the stinger would be a better option than the Charger.

Last edited by franknbeans; 01-18-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:54 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,941 Likes on 4,818 Posts

Stinger.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:06 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by franknbeans
I have. But the wife said we need 4 doors for friends to visit and the G70 is smaller in the back. Need the rear room when family and friends visit us in FL now. I also considered the Dodge Charger Scat Pack but IMO, the stinger would be a better option than the Charger.
Charger or (functionally identical) Chrysler 300 would be good bets, very good sedans with lots of space for carrying others. My daily driver is an AWD V6 Charger, and I never feel like I am in a penalty box on the street when I change over from C7.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:11 PM
Bigblue77
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

300 is a boat, only place you could track that is being run over by a monster truck.

Stinger $0.02
Old 01-18-2020, 05:31 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Thanks for the comments all. I was leaning towards the Stinger also. The warranty alone is worth the consideration when buying used.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:41 PM
R8Z51
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

ATS-V. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Kia.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Eh, call enterprise rent a car when you need 4 doors? Way cheaper in the long run.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,008 Likes on 5,372 Posts

The ATS V is a great track and two person plus two small kids car. However, if you are planning on using it to haul adult guests around it will be a real pain for them. There isn't any leg or foot room in the back seat. I considered the ATS V for a whole 15 minutes until I placed the driver's seat where I would have it if driving and then sat in the rear behind the driver's seat. I am only 5' 10" tall but there as no foot room and no leg room. My feet were jammed under the front seat at an angle that made my ankles hurt and my knees were jammed into the back of the front seat. When I tried to get in and out there wasn't any room to get my foot in or out of the car. It took several contortions of my legs and sliding around on the seat to get my toes past the B pillar.

Bill
Old 01-18-2020, 06:01 PM
c6txvette
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by R8Z51
ATS-V. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Kia.

that’s funny, I had a Ctsv3 and before that a 678 rwhp v wagon and my current stable includes a modded C7Z (2) a 6 gen Zl1 and a trackhawk. I have zero problem with a stinger and personally would not touch an atsv being I had the better ones. What’s your issue with not being caught in a Kia?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:07 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The ATS V is a great track and two person plus two small kids car. However, if you are planning on using it to haul adult guests around it will be a real pain for them. There isn't any leg or foot room in the back seat. I considered the ATS V for a whole 15 minutes until I placed the driver's seat where I would have it if driving and then sat in the rear behind the driver's seat. I am only 5' 10" tall but there as no foot room and no leg room. My feet were jammed under the front seat at an angle that made my ankles hurt and my knees were jammed into the back of the front seat. When I tried to get in and out there wasn't any room to get my foot in or out of the car. It took several contortions of my legs and sliding around on the seat to get my toes past the B pillar.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I needed to know that. I am 5'9" so the ATS is off the market for sure if I can't sit behind myself.

Get notified of new replies

To ATS-V or Stinger

Old 01-18-2020, 06:51 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 881 Likes on 362 Posts

I own a GT2 Stinger. I looked at an ATS-V as well. Here are my thoughts

The stinger is bigger, more practical, more comfortable and better suited to daily driving and carrying people and stuff then the ATS-V.

The ATS-V is the superior drivers car and will be much better on track and for HPDE then the Stinger. The Stinger is a fun car with a good motor but it is a GT car first and a sport sedan second where as the ATS-V is a sport sedan first. The ATS-V has is small, and has poor rear legroom. Wether this matters to you depends on how often it will be used to haul people.

So really it depends on your priorities. If you will use this car more as a HPDE car vehicle and don't need to move people often get the ATS-V.

You sound like you don't want to use your GS for a HPDE car but if rear seat legroom is a requirement then ATS-V won't work. You said you dismissed the G70 for poor rear seating and the ATS-V isn't any better, in fact it's worse by over an inch.

The ATS-V would be the better HPDE car but a Stinger with the proper mods would not be bad at all. I'd suggest looking into the Stinger as a HPDE car since it would tick the boxes for a daily and your wife. I'm pretty sure with the proper mods a Stinger would be a pretty decent HPDE vehicle and this way you won't have to use the GS. It won't be as good as the ATS-V but it isn't bad by any means. Maybe a Stinger GTS would be up your alley?

Let me know if you want some more info on the Stinger

Last edited by Exia; 01-18-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:07 PM
franknbeans
Racer

My thoughts are if no one can use the back seats it might as well be a Camaro. LOL.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 881 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by franknbeans
My thoughts are if no one can use the back seats it might as well be a Camaro. LOL.
People can use them but it depends how tall your friends are and the distance you will be traveling with them.

It sounds like however that rear legroom is a priority so I'd say the ATS-V is out of the equation. Your options are to get the Stinger and use the GS or look into how good the Stinger is as a HPDE vehicle and save your GS from the abuse.

Quick Reply: ATS-V or Stinger